• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

Help with Lucky 13 setup

Nightman06

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Hey all, first off, I appreciate any/all help provided. I spend a ton of time reading through this forum and as you can probably tell, little time posting. Trying to keep the clutter down. That being said, I would like some help with my particular setup and some guidance.

I have a '19 242 Limited SE with Cobra Jet Steering, Impros Solas 14/23 twin Impellers, Impros SS wear rings and SHO Lucky 13 cones.

Bottom line up front: Boat pulls to port at all power settings once on plane.

Stage One: Cobra Jet. Nice upgrade, no impact to directional dependance. Everything was adjusted to ensure proper line-up at time of install. Checked again after L13 install.

Stage Two (just installed and run for the first time, yesterday): Impellers / Lucky 13. I am running Blue/Red/Gold on the Port and Red on the Stbd. Port motor shows ~100 rpm less at WOT. I'm getting consistent 45 mph on the screen (1 person, full bag of gas, no top, flat water, no wind) but with a fair amount of starboard steering pressure to stay straight. Hole shot is fantastic, no cavitation. I sealed all housing connections with gasket maker.

I would like to see 46-47 and get rid of the directional pull. Standing by for thoughts. I'm assuming this will come down to L13 ring changes but I'm not sure which to add/pull.

Thanks!

What elevation are you at? That could cost some speed.

Lake Winnipesaukee is at 504' above sea level. I was seeing 48 with standard equipment and weight/top, as described. I understand there's a trade off, but wasn't expecting to lose 3 mph. . .and honestly, it's the port pull that's bothering me the most.

I don't have any experience with the L13 cones. But, Have you checked your nozzle alignment yet? where I boat there is a lot of current and wind. depending on heading, wind, current I will get a pull to port or starboard. Then sometimes I will track straight as an arrow. Also, if you think it is related to the pump outputs, can you drop the throttle on one side and see if the pull to port changes with that input.

Are you sure it was pulling before you put the cobra jets on? Mine pulled a bit after I installed them because I hadn’t adjusted them properly. Once I did, they worked great. Jeff @Cobra Jet Steering LLC might have some ideas.

My initial alignment when I first installed my Cobras was way off. It looked correct at the time of installation but had a pull after. When I rechecked it I was wow was a drinking the day I instilled it was that far off...

Haha, I'll take another look at the steering. Suppose I could uninstall the blades and see what happens.

Back