• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Help with the low fuel warning beep (Chaparral Vortex)

Chatt_Jetsetter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
So I launched the boat at a ramp today, which was the first time I've ever had to do that, and I was solo. It went fine, but what a day otherwise; but that's another story for another time, I'm here to ask about that RIDICULOUSLY loud low fuel warning beep. The first time it happened I was cruising at 22 mph and I shut the boat down because I thought it was a shallow water warning. Nope, low fuel light. It did it again about 10 minutes after that, and then 10 minutes after that. So loud I'm sure you can hear it across the lake.

Could anyone point me to where I might find this little noise making device so I can pull the fuse or otherwise disable the beep? This is the 2020 Vortex 203. I know most of you helpful boaters are Yamaha(ers) but I thought someone might know.

I'd be grateful!

20210310_162514.jpg

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Agreed. I have the same thing on my Scarab. Presumably the same system. It's beyond reasonable for loudness. Would love to turn that off entirely. The light is enough. I'm aware I'm running out of fuel.... lol I'll have to search if there's a way to turn that off/disconnect it. But for me, it really seems to come from the gauge display so I'm worried it can't be disabled.

Chatt_Jetsetter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Agreed. I have the same thing on my Scarab. Presumably the same system. It's beyond reasonable for loudness. Would love to turn that off entirely. The light is enough. I'm aware I'm running out of fuel.... lol I'll have to search if there's a way to turn that off/disconnect it. But for me, it really seems to come from the gauge display so I'm worried it can't be disabled.
It's like stop your heart loud; I get if you are running wide open with the stereo going it needs to get your attention, but even for that one scenario this is over the top.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Definitely is. It gives me a heart attack each time. And frankly, it's a little embarrassing when you're around others. lol Sometimes, my rides are well calculated for fuel..... I don't want to scare people in the boat. Also, the light is plenty obvious. I don't know how you'd miss that. :)

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length

Chatt_Jetsetter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length

Found this thread. Sounds like it's indeed built into the gauge cluster on the backside. In my 165, it's easily accessible. I'm going to have a look and see if I can either disconnect or muffle the sound as mentioned in that thread.
Thanks, I'll look into it as well. One thing for sure is there's something making that noise; as long as it's not coming out of the boat speakers I intend to find it :)

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Easy solution - fill the tank!
🤣🤣🤣
HOW DARE YOU propose such a logical, thoughtful and proper solution. You're lucky this isn't under the Scarab section, otherwise I could ban you forever! lol

Meh, tomorrow I'm going to find it and see about stuffing it with some play-doh or something. Maybe @212s can learn something from us. At least I didn't build a programmable computer like those other folks referred to above in that thread *cancels the mini computer circuit board order as he types this*. ;)

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Meh, tomorrow I'm going to find it and see about stuffing it with some play-doh or something.
I'm guessing it's some kind piezo-electric buzzer behind the helm? I've looked at mine pretty closely to plan for cutting the dash to put in a plotter, and I never noticed anything except a hole in the back of the Connext unit that could have been the sound outlet for a buzzer. And I have to admit I thought about trying to cut the noise level down too, but since it's usually something important like low battery, shallow water, low fuel, etc. I figure if I avoid the scenarios I don't have to worry about the alarm noise. And also I think it's not as loud or annoying frequency I think on my boat - it's more like the backup sensor alert in my SUV - it's noticeably annoying but not aggravatingly so.

Now we just need the spring to arrive so we can make those noises happen.
:)

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
The BRP alarm is incredibly loud. I think it's more than a piezo-electric buzzer because of this. I've never seen one that produces such a loud tone, but I won't discount it until I find it. In my case, I've got a pretty bare bones system. It has only gone off because of low fuel in 5 years of using it. And it's pretty hard to not notice the lights.

"Spring", what is this thing you speak of? lol

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
So, I have to assume the beeper/buzzer is the hole in the upper left. I couldn't make it beep in any way right now, but I stuffed a nitril glove in there as much as I could. Now to wait for a beep to see what it does...

1616467203138.png

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Just managed to make it turn on and yep, it's been muffled quite a bit. For anybody reading this in the future.

Chatt_Jetsetter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Just managed to make it turn on and yep, it's been muffled quite a bit. For anybody reading this in the future.
Nice job! So the picture you took is the back of the display, accessed from the storage compartment?

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
In my 165, to get access I just have to remove screws that holds a plastic tray. But yes, that's the back of the display. So the buzzer is on the right hand side of it if you were looking at the display from the front.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I haven't identified mine yet, but it's probably very similar. A little duct tape over it would work nicely if it's too loud. Mine isn't overly annoying and I generally don't have to hear it unless I'm in shallow water coming in to dock or anchor over weeds.

Top Bottom