• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

HELP with Wake Surfing

ADSA95

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have a 242x E Series I am trying to wake surf behind. So far I have installed a wake wedge and a 400lb ballast bag on the rear surf side swim platform that along with the factory ballast tanks on the boat. We still don't see to get a big enough wave to surf on. Any suggestions?

Blenderhead

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Need more ballast. here is what I finally came to with ballast weight to achieve the wave in the video.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
How fast are you going? The slower you go, the more push you'll get. But, that will also bring the wave closer to the boat. Ideal speed should be somewhere around 10 mph.

Also, if you fill the ballast bag on the non-surf side, you'll have to offset that with additional ballast on the surf side. The boat really needs to list to the surf side.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Still need the 750 on the surf side seat in the cabin. That is why I tell everyone that has a 242X they need a 750 and a 400 minimum.

Last edited:

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Be sure your wedge is trimmed up almost flat. Too much downward force on the wedge seems to kill the wake. One turn too much bite will make all the difference.
Be sure you have a big/long enough board, we use a 5'4" board for beginners. No extra ballets your speed will need to be 9.7 to 10.4 depending on location and number of people in the boat and surf very close to the back of the boat. Without the wedge we would bump into the back corner all the time with the wedge you can be a tad farther back... Try only 40 or 60% in the center ski locker too.

Good luck and keep at it!

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Need more ballast. here is what I finally came to with ballast weight to achieve the wave in the video.

Nice wave! We can get similar with 2,000 lbs and boat full of people.

Blenderhead

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Nice wave! We can get similar with 2,000 lbs and boat full of people.
NICE! ya that video was just me surfing and my wife driving.... I adjust ballast accordingly based on the number of people on the boat. enjoy!

Larkintx

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
How do I get my hands on a wedge? Any recommendations or a link?

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length