• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

HELP

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
I have a 2002 seadoo Gti Le and have had problems with it from the time I bought it. I put it in the water and it won’t go over 23mph. It would randomly kick in sometimes and go about 40mph. I have replaced some fuel lines and oil lines also I looked at the carb and it looked total my clean. I replaced the wear ring and checked compression and it was fine. It still does the same thing on the water. Any suggestions on what it could be???

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Spark plugs are often the problem on our boats. They should be changed once a year or every other depending on use. Make sure you use OEM plugs not equivalent plugs.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Could be weak fuel pump or the reserve fuel switch obstructing the fuel flow or trash in the fuel tank obstructing the flow. Very common issues with the 720 engines . just for the heck of it run with the seat off and see if it runs faster if so you have an exhaust leak filling the hull with exhaust but that is more common with the 4 stroke models. I would eliminate the fuel reserve selector switch and go directly to the reserve pickup in the tank and just use it that way my experience leads me to think that is the most likely cause.

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
I did also replace the fuel valve. Do you know if this model has a electric fuel pump?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
It is a pump that runs off the pulse of the crank case but I always removed those and put in a 3 psi electric pump. I did that to all my 2 stroke our board engines also they ran a lot better and smoother

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
I also have a question about the MPEM. I took off the fuse cover on it and it is missing 2 fuses. Does it need those fuses or are those just used for nothing

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
You would need to look up what those particular fuse holders were there for . Most likely they are not needed on your particular model

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
Ok thank you I will check on those things.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It is a pump that runs off the pulse of the crank case but I always removed those and put in a 3 psi electric pump. I did that to all my 2 stroke our board engines also they ran a lot better and smoother
Yep. Those pulse fuel pumps are a constant issue on my old 2 stroke Kawasaki’s.

I’ve had the same exact symptom from old plugs too though.

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
I have replaced the spark plugs. Is there a way to test the fuel pump?

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have replaced the spark plugs. Is there a way to test the fuel pump?
Not that I’m aware of.

You should probably rebuild that carb if it’s never been done. The pump is a rubber diaphragm and they harden & stop pumping right. Especially with modern fuel.

Buy an OEM rebuild kit if possible. The cheap aftermarket ones just aren’t as good.

You should also do a leak down test to check the engine seals, if they are worn it will leak air and won’t run right either.

Edit: I’m assuming your fuel pump is integrated into your carb but I don’t know what carb your ski has.