• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Hi have a 1998 Sea-Doo Sportster with twin 717s the starboard engine isn't getting any pulse from the engine to the fuel pump

Larson83

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have a 1998 Sportster 1800 with twin 717s. The stbd engine isn't getting any pulse from the crankcase to the fuel pump

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Really?? Did you compare to Port engine? Any chance the pump has an issue instead? I think swapping pumps might confirm.

Worst case troubleshoot with an electric pump.

The pulse is pretty much designed into the case. I'm not sure how that breaks beyond the hose coming disconnected, or having some sort of tear.

Larson83

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I've tried swapping carbs, fuel pumps replaced hoses. I pull the hose off the port engine and getting a strong pulse and my compression is 150 on both cylinders

Larson83

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Does the o-ring on the rotary valve go bad

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Weird, sorry, not sure where that air might be escaping from.

I have troubleshot pump issues with a small electric pump on that boat with great results.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
the pump is driven by a push and pull effect from inside the crank case , anything can be causing the loss of suction and a pulse however that would also effect the cylinder even a bad crankshaft seal can effect that . The model engine you have has had a lot of issues with the rotary valve section having bad seals and allowing the oil to leak out of the rotary valve section of the crank case and cause some smoke that everyone in town would notice. I would get a reading on that section while it is cranking over and see but it is most likely a bad seal

Larson83

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
the pump is driven by a push and pull effect from inside the crank case , anything can be causing the loss of suction and a pulse however that would also effect the cylinder even a bad crankshaft seal can effect that . The model engine you have has had a lot of issues with the rotary valve section having bad seals and allowing the oil to leak out of the rotary valve section of the crank case and cause some smoke that everyone in town would notice. I would get a reading on that section while it is cranking over and see but it is most likely a bad seal

Larson83

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm going to replace the rotary valve cover o-ring and the intake o-ring

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I always got rid of my pulse fuel pumps and replaced them with small electric fuel pumps that put out 3 to 4 lbs of pressure and put a flow restrictor in the fuel return line, did that to all my 2 stroke outboards also they always ran great

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The fuel return is already smaller than the inlet on that Mikuni carb (my Sportster 1800 had one per engine). I have added just the pump (No flow restrictor in my case) and it worked like a charm while I figured out what the problem was.

Larson83

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thx cobrajet are you saying it's the seal on the rotary valve shaft or a crank seal

Larson83

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I just rebuilt the topend and both cylinders have 150 compression

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Crank seal most likely and that would not have any effect on the compression but it could burn a piston due to causing a lean running condition from a vacuum leak in the crank.

Larson83

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Can I replace the crank seals without pulling the topend

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I believe you would need to tear down the engine and split the cases to do it correctly did you check the connecting rod bearings when you did the top end? usually you do it all at the same time, Rotate the engine by the P T O on the end of the crank with the spark plugs removed, watch the pistons come up and then start back down as soon as the piston starts to go down stop turning the p t o and take a big Phillips screwdriver and push down on the top of the piston if it is tight the rod bearings are ok if you feel the piston move a bit as you push down or worse actually feel it clunk when you push on it then you have a bad bearing. in any case you need try to narrow down the problem because if it isn't fixed correctly the first time you end up doing a lot of work and spending money for nothing. Did your engine smoke a lot when you first started it after it sat for a few days or longer , if so your rotary valve crank seals are bad that section is isolated from both of the end sections where the connecting rods are for the pistons, Now remember I have not worked on one of the old 720 engines for a very long time but I recall they had other issues with water leaking in under the carb on the intake manifold due to crappy bolts I always re tapped those holes with larger bolts. and I recall the splines going bad on the P T O where the drive shaft went in.

Larson83

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The rods were right when I had it apart

Larson83

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'll let you know when I put the o-rings on this week on the cover thx for the advice

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
ok did it smoke before you tore in to it