• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

high flow, reusable steel mesh oil filters .. thoughts ??

$140 is out of my budget.

1. $139.95 will buy a lot of Yamaha OEM filters.
2. They don't quote a rating for the size particles it will filter (micron rating). Looks like it might filter ok.
3. How long will it last before it is too clogged to clean?
4. $139.95 will buy a lot of Yamaha OEM filters.

35 microns

Last edited:
high flow rating on motorcyle testing gained 4 hp and 1 ft lb torque due to the high flow

now we just have to get the correct cross reference that will fit our engines ..

I didn't scroll down far enough. I see it says "35 microns absolute rating”. Which is pretty good.
correction 35 microns ... you are correct

I switched from the OEM Paper Element to the NAPA Gold 1358 which cross references on my engines. A few more bucks but a better filter.

high flow rating on motorcyle testing gained 4 hp and 1 ft lb torque due to the high flow
This concerns me. I assumed the oil flow rate is restricted by the bearings. This implies the stock oil filter is restricting the flow of oil to the bearings. Am I missing something?

This concerns me. I assumed the oil flow rate is restricted by the bearings. This implies the stock oil filter is restricting the flow of oil to the bearings. Am I missing something?

I would assume that under WOT the bypass valve on the yamaha filter is always opening .. the paper element with those tiny holes is just barely making it to lubricate the motor .. under cold start i would assume the bypass is also always opening ... bottom line the factory filter is not giving your motor the performance it needs ...

I don’t know if a reusable metal filter is better than other media, an/or it‘s appropriate use case, racing (extreme temps, change each use) or consumer (great variability, change on a fixed interval). I do give them credit for for reusability, always nice to reduce waste. But their copy is heavy on marketing speak and filled with caveats, ”should be”, “most cases”. I am most amused by:
  • Superior Filtration 35 microns “absolute rating” (one pass test) Please Google research if you don’t understand how this is better than a lower micron Multiple pass rated paper filter
So I googled it, Multiple pass testing is actually the gold standard. I think they meant to slam nominal testing, which is worse than absolute testing. (Understanding Filter Efficiency and Beta Ratios)

Buy it because it’s pretty and you can say you’re environmentally responsible. I’m not sure you’ll save money or get better.

any one with any technical and mechanical sense can observe the yamaha filter ( paper ) is nothing to write home about . these motors are under high rpm and by examining the inside of the filter by eye one can only see its similarity to a standard automotive oil filter .. the flow through holes on the inside tube are miniscule .. we can do better and after market has supplied .. I will be ordering ..

If you have the 1.8 NA or SVHO i run motorcraft filters on mine. I run them in my GP wave runners and boat engines. FL910S.

I don’t know if a reusable metal filter is better than other media, an/or it‘s appropriate use case, racing (extreme temps, change each use) or consumer (great variability, change on a fixed interval). I do give them credit for for reusability, always nice to reduce waste. But their copy is heavy on marketing speak and filled with caveats, ”should be”, “most cases”. I am most amused by:
  • Superior Filtration 35 microns “absolute rating” (one pass test) Please Google research if you don’t understand how this is better than a lower micron Multiple pass rated paper filter
So I googled it, Multiple pass testing is actually the gold standard. I think they meant to slam nominal testing, which is worse than absolute testing. (Understanding Filter Efficiency and Beta Ratios)

Buy it because it’s pretty and you can say you’re environmentally responsible. I’m not sure you’ll save money or get better.

performance .. i just installed one on my sport bike and i can honestly say the throttle response is much more responsive and quicker , the bike feels faster , and thats not placebo ... someone i know just dynoed thier cruiser and gained 8 Hp on same dyno from month earlier

8 more hp from an oil filter not air filter, correct?

Looks neat for an application where you need to eek out every last drip of power available, but still seems like a lofty claim. $280 is like a lifetime supply of filters which are perfectly suited to my application.

Looks neat for an application where you need to eek out every last drip of power available, but still seems like a lofty claim. $280 is like a lifetime supply of filters which are perfectly suited to my application.

Not promoting these in any way .. not paid to promote ... but think longevity of engines , better oil flow better lubrication , better cooling , especially if you like to drive in the upper rpm band like on lakes ect .. i have them on order and plan to install in may when i de winterize ... have you ever truly examined the stock oil filter .. there are tiny inlet holes behind the check valve and inside are small bb size holes in the inner casing for the oil to flow back into the motor ... have to see and realize how restrictive that is ... compared to this type of set up ... NOW i would not advocate installing these on a daily driven or road trip vehicle .. but for powersports recreation most definitely . what also is appealing is that our filters are mounted high up ( above the oil pan ) these can be spun off cleaned and re installed without changing oil if needed In a pinch where you didnt have time to do a complete change .

Back