• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Higher Pitched Engine Noise "whine" Starboard Engine

Thomas Smith

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a newly developed high pitched sound from the starboard engine. I am not sure if I am dealing with an impeller issue or possibly a bearing. I am not familiar what a bad bearing would sound like or what the symptoms are. I have not noticed any vibration and have experienced zero cavitation. I have confirmed no debris either. I have attached a link to youtube video which clearly demonstrates the noise differences between engines especially towards the end of the video. I also have a couple photos from the stern looking in and find a small bent leading edge on the starboard impeller. Could this possibly be the culprit? Thank yo for the help !

Attachments

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Thomas Smith glad to have you on board, I can't believe you haven't received 20 possible solutions for your question yet, it must have been a busy day and your post dropped off the "new posts" page and was over looked,

I certainly think I hear something also,

How long have you owned the boat?
Have you ever greased the main bearing?
Have you ever pulled the impeller and shaft out?
Have you ever looked at your cone bearings?

If you've not done either of the last two I think I might start there and run it without the impeller and see if you can duplicate the sound to lead you to an engine issue or a shaft/impeller issue.

Check out the FAQ for great instructions about all of this.

Update your profile with your location, there might be a member nearby that could help or at least give you something to compare it to,

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Sounds like a bearing to me. Follow @Scottintexas advice to check those items. I suspect it is the cone bearing due to water getting in.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Thomas Smith

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thank you for the responses, here is an update, the noise is not there when I am out of the water and have it hooked up to a hose. This seems that the noise only exists when there is a "load" on the impellers by moving volumes of water through......IMHO.....other than that I have owned the boat since new in 2006, about 8 years ago I had a rock damage my impeller (on this same side ) and replaced it, so yes had the impeller and shaft out. I have greased the main bearing behind the engine compartment last season and just a couple of pumps. Since this noise started I have not pulled out the assembly and looked at the cone bearing........so with the update do you think its still a bearing and if it is only when under load would that be the cone bearing more than likely?

Thank you for the help, I am new to this site and yes, will update profile for sure.

Regards

Thomas Smith

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
By the way, I just went back out hooked up water to it, fired off the engine, again sounds relatively the same as the port side......then when I went and compared the noise down at the nozzle/pump level I do now hear a mild grind and now its time to pull it apart, sound like a bearing more than likely.............does anyone know where I could purchase the replacement bearing kits for the pump? I get lost when I start to do some research on it......someone has to sell a kit I would imagine.......

Thank you again !!

Thomas Smith

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
IMG_3888.JPG IMG_3888.JPG Ok, another update. I pulled out the impeller and shaft.......noise went away completely, here are pics of the bearing form the nose cone.....looks intact but grease is dark and had some water in there. Also, when you spin the impeller it is definitely rough and not smooth......I have it soaking now in hopes to ease removal tomorrow and take a look at the forward bearing. I think I need to replace them and again as I already posted any help would be great on where to purchase a kit......
Thank you !!