• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Higher Water = Lower Bridges!

JTC1016

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Seems obvious enough right? Well, I didn't think the water had gone up 4"... but I was wrong. We were going under a bridge in a channel that we've been through a dozen times this year already. It's always close, but we always clear it by a few inches, and we've had a pretty dry summer.
The weekend before last we had the bimini deployed because it was hot, so instead of creeping up and checking the height like I usually do, I ASSumed we would make it. We didn't. Luckily the plastic on the stern light (which is actually on top of the tower) absorbed the abuse and shattered. Babbit's online was able to get me a new one by last Thursday so we were back on the water this weekend.
That $225 mistake will sure cure my laziness with bridges though. On the bright side, the replacement is an easy 15 minute install if anyone else plays bridge roulette.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
i was hesitant to open this when i saw that beautiful tower in your avatar. glad you got away with just a light failure, sadly a $225 one !

we have 2 bridges on our lake, we don't fit under one until the water drops. I've spray painted a small line on the bridge support for my "tell". I need to drive a stake into my shoreline and mark it for elevations as well. The other bridge we fit under off plane, on plane its close.

Does anyone know, or know how to measure the difference in boat elevation when on plane vs floating ?

JTC1016

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
i was hesitant to open this when i saw that beautiful tower in your avatar. glad you got away with just a light failure, sadly a $225 one !

we have 2 bridges on our lake, we don't fit under one until the water drops. I've spray painted a small line on the bridge support for my "tell". I need to drive a stake into my shoreline and mark it for elevations as well. The other bridge we fit under off plane, on plane its close.

Does anyone know, or know how to measure the difference in boat elevation when on plane vs floating ?
For us it makes a big difference how the boat is loaded with people and supplies too. I'll be out with 7 buddies this weekend and I'm sure we'll clear it by plenty vs. when it's just me, the wife and kids.

Buckeye Boater

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Our lake jumped up almost a foot early in the spring/summer and I saw several bimini's smacked up. We live right by a very low bridge in a channel and I watched a kid with his parents boat try to go under and take out the windshield of a glastron. It was epic.

flyingnugget

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I watched a kid with his parents boat try to go under and take out the windshield of a glastron. It was epic.[/QUOTE said:
I cringed reading that but still Laughed...Epic : ) Would love to be a fly on the wall when he brought that boat back to his folks...

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Lake Ontario was up 4 FEET this year which caused all sorts of problems. without markers on the bridges it would be hard to tell what the clearance is....

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Get in the boat and go fast, lean over the side and mark where the water is, stop then repeat step #2:)

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Lake Champlain is up 5' over last years level, when i posted about low water woes, We went under the same bridge last week and my antennas cleared by 2". I lowered them for the return trip. This was last year,
0927161454a.jpg Five feet of water over this sand bar now.

Eric Popper

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There's a bridge on the Chain of Lakes that we can skirt under by about a foot on a good day. I always take it slowly and have my wife up on the seats watching the tower. I think that we're good at the 8' marker but I don't believe that this is relevant to any other bridge or boat....

Eric

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think 4" clearance would be below tolerance for me. Wake, load differential, etc. Just not enough margin. I have to watch where I cross some bridges and you always get the jack wagon that ignores no wake.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length