• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Hinge Bolts Stripped on Clean Out Tray HatchHatch

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Okay, for starters I'm a knucklehead. I'll explain.

I noticed when I lift the hatch for my clean out tray, that there was SOME wiggle from the left hinge. The hinge itself is solid. But the screws were a little loose. Tried tightening them, but they just spin, like it's stripped out.

So I go get 3 new longer SS Screws and 3 nuts. The plan is to drill all the way through and secure the new screws with the nuts. That's a solid solution! I did it with my anchor locker.

Here's the knucklehead part. I drill through, but I didn't realize the Dadgum hatch right there rests directly on the inside of the tray. Basically there is NO room for a longer screw OR nut.

DADGUMMIT!

Anybody happen to have a solution for this? Thanks.20140426_213853_resized_1.jpg20140426_213911_resized_1.jpg

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You could try filling the holes back in with resin. If you have some extra glass mat, layup a small square of cloth (or two) on the bottom side. Then drill new small pilots and install screws.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
fatter screw, not longer
And it's wood, so you can fill the holes with epoxy and re-drill them if needed.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Two great ideals @Seadeals and @Speedling . Also, I had thought of the fatter screws, but the hole is about the same size as the hole in the hinge. But I like the idea of filling it and drilling new holes.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
D. All of the above

Or, many other methods. If you use resin or epoxy, try adding a tiny bit of chopped strand (fiberglass strands) stuff it down the holes with a toothpick. I know, easy for me to say, I could probably grab a pinch from the sole of my work boot. No fiberglass handy? use the toothpick! :cool: