• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Hinged seat for cooler access

Justin G.

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Has anyone tried hinging the removable seat for the cooler access? The new '15's have all of the seats hinged rather than removable. We bought the boat new in June, left over 2013, and the stitching is giving way where the vinyl meets the plastic base already. I guess we like tasty cold beverages too much. I figured this would be a great off season mod if possible. Any insight would be great.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
It is an issue on the removable seats. Learn to pull the cushion out before you lift it, you can prevent a little destruction that way. They changed the design of the backrests and the cushions when they added hinges, so they don't rub. I don't think you could just add hinges without modifying both the bottom cushion and the backrests where they may rub or be in the way of the lifting. A way around lifting for beverages is like many of us. I don't even use that dang hard cooler. Many guys use the AO Cooler, it is a vinyl or ballistic nylon outside and heavy liner inside with foam and radiant barrier, soft sided cooler. The are the cadillac of soft side coolers. They don't leak or sweat, and they will hold ice for a long time for a soft side cooler. We leave ours out on the seats, on the swim deck, on the beach, in the head compartment, or in the floor. So we are in the seat compartments much less. Many of us have also modified the storage compartments to have shelves and other storage compartments so easy access with a door is available. Look for the many head compartment mods. I have two shelves in my 240, had them in my 230 too, as well as shoe organizers to hold cups/bottle openers/wine glasses/sun protection/bug spray/bags/etc...stuff you need to get to all the time.

brockhals

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Could you put a two way hinge (for lack of a better term)? I'm thinking a hinge that would first allow a small rise in the inside of the cusion to allow the cushion to then slide toward you a couple inches to get clear of the backrest. Then you could open the seat by pulling it toward you. Trying to think where I've seen something like that...

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I keep a mid size cooler on the floor in the head compartment. Many times we don't need a bigger cooler. If we do I just pull it out to refresh the one in the head (or if we stopped for a longer period of time). I don't have any wear on the cushions yet and heading into 5 years.

Justin G.

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It is an issue on the removable seats. Learn to pull the cushion out before you lift it, you can prevent a little destruction that way. They changed the design of the backrests and the cushions when they added hinges, so they don't rub. I don't think you could just add hinges without modifying both the bottom cushion and the backrests where they may rub or be in the way of the lifting. A way around lifting for beverages is like many of us. I don't even use that dang hard cooler. Many guys use the AO Cooler, it is a vinyl or ballistic nylon outside and heavy liner inside with foam and radiant barrier, soft sided cooler. The are the cadillac of soft side coolers. They don't leak or sweat, and they will hold ice for a long time for a soft side cooler. We leave ours out on the seats, on the swim deck, on the beach, in the head compartment, or in the floor. So we are in the seat compartments much less. Many of us have also modified the storage compartments to have shelves and other storage compartments so easy access with a door is available. Look for the many head compartment mods. I have two shelves in my 240, had them in my 230 too, as well as shoe organizers to hold cups/bottle openers/wine glasses/sun protection/bug spray/bags/etc...stuff you need to get to all the time.
If you have any pictures I would love to see how you layer out the head compartment. I only got around to installing a garbage can. Nothing like the bare necessities haha. The shoe organizer is a great idea for small stuff. With 2 small boys we have a crap load of stuff that goes with us every time. Thanks again for the ideas. Boat is in the garage and have a long winter to make modifications for next year!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Here is a good thread on Head Storage Compartment mods...my shelves, shoe organizers, my paper towel holder are in this thread and others. There is no limit to the changes and improvements you can make to your boat and I bet most of them have been done...but then someone else comes up with another brilliant idea!
https://jetboaters.net/threads/head-storage-modifications.1172/

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Install a Refrigerator and you will very rarely use the cooler!

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
:eek:What about ice for my "iced tea" or my blender drink concoctions? :D
Turn the temperature knob further to the right. It doubles as a freezer.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I would need a head compartment sized fridge/freezer and ice maker!...for a 3 hour cruise!

Justin G.

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Install a Refrigerator and you will very rarely use the cooler!
I found your posting on installing the refrigerator. Not having to always get ice would be great! Do you ever run into any problems with the battery handling the load? The step by step photos you posted helps tremendously with selling the idea on the wife. It sure would be nice to have never ending cooling for the tasty beverages.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Justin G. before installing I ran a test in my garage where it used about 1AH per hour. I have two group 31 AGM batteries on board. So my guess is that I can run the fridge for about 100 hours before hitting 50% on the battery.

I have a LVD (low voltage disconnect) installed to prevent the fridge running the batteries down low enough to damage them. The fridge has a LVD built in as well.

On the way back from Bimini we loaded some steak, pork chops and other food into the fridge. I turned both batteries on to have the additional capacity. We took three days to drive home. The fridge was running fine and the food was cold when we got home.

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA