• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Hitch ball keeps getting stuck in trailer receiver

Lord Vader

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Anyone else have issues with the ball not coming out of the trailer’s receiver (socket)? I had to hit it with a hammer to get it to drop out. It was too dark and mosquitoeee after I put the boat away to check it out throughly. I plan on taking a look tomorrow after work but looking for ideas on what could be causing it. Thanks!

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
2” ball in a 1-7/8” hitch but our boats come with a 2” hitch.

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I sometimes have trouble moving the lever down to lock the ball in, but never having it come out. Greasing the ball may help.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
When you back the trailer in, is it uphill? Our driveway is slightly uphill so I have this problem occasionally. My advice is back it in, chock the trailer, then pull forward a couple inches. Takes the pressure off the ball and lets the surge brake release a bit.

Lord Vader

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks guys. I’m going to grease the ball and chock the trailer wheels before pulling forward.

It’s just really strange that when I jacked the trailer up it took the rear end of my truck with it. lol.

feziwig

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks guys. I’m going to grease the ball and chock the trailer wheels before pulling forward.

It’s just really strange that when I jacked the trailer up it took the rear end of my truck with it. lol.
I believe there is an adjustment nut up inside to adjust the collar that holds the ball.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If i see the trailer jack starting to lift the truck, i just shake the trailer tongue side to side. Pops right out.
Make sure your trucks parking brake isnt on. You need the slight front to back movement of the truck in park

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
As @Dixie Highway said, if the trailer is putting forward pressure on the truck, you’ll have that problem every time. Not discounting the other potentials, but in terms of likelihood, it’s usually forward pressure of the trailer on the truck.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I usually hold the locking lever back all the way while cranking the jack or this will happen. Its the extra 1/4" that hanging it up unless you hold the lever. Hope that makes sense...

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
As mentioned above you can adjust these. Maybe it is just a little too tight.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
As mentioned above you can adjust these. Maybe it is just a little too tight.
If you make any adjustments to the nut, do yourself a huge favor and jack up the trailer while locked onto the ball to make sure its still secure after your adjustment. You and we dont need a rogue trailer flying down the road ;)

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have three trailers with 2" couplers and one of them gets stuck on the ball all the time, I have tried grease and adjusting the latch to no avail. I think that the coupler is just formed wrong from the factory.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Mines a pain too even after greasing it, although it was better.

W3bexec

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This happens to me every time. I end up doing a hop on the bumper of the truck to get it knocked loose. Everyplace I park is on some kind of incline or decline. Doesn't seem to matter which however facing uphill seems to be worse as my truck rolls back an inch or so. It's like it has to be dead center to not catch.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So, I chock the trailer, then put the track in neutral for a second, and then shift to P and apply parking brake.
And yes, I too grease my ball, and douse everything with CRC656.

--