• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Hole/crack in bilge area

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Well hopefully this is last of the “things go wrong in 3s”

In the bilge area unbolting the electrical box and notice this....
43DF0FB7-FD3E-4C3E-8E6F-6EB5D93B65D3.jpeg
it feels like metal or a very thick portion of fiberglass that’s missing and I can feel down the hole with a finger to what I am guessing is the bottom of the boat. It sure doesn’t look intentional (like a way for water between the outside shell to drain into the bilge?) but I can’t imagine what would cause something like that to crack. I dont see any evidence of the pieces in the bilge and the other side looks like it’s sealed (2nd picture)

Attachments

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think I see what you are talking about (tan-ish tube that’s is open) and a flap of fiberglass that creates a bit of a pocket. I would not say anything has gone wrong other than sloppy lay-up/spray-up when they shot the fiberglass. I found a quarter-sided void under my gelcoat that was a construction anomaly. Since it looks like you hold water there, I would just wait for it to dry and either add some resin to close it up/ smooth it out or smear some 4200 or 5200 in there to do the same. That is just in case any glass happened to not get properly encapsulated with resin; but my vote is you have no real issue of concern.

ChrisM

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
I think it's the crack above the washer and nut heading right to the penetration? Second pic..

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Here’s a better pic. It’s hard to tell the depth I’ll try to get one tomorrow from the other side. It’s about a pointer finger big and maybe up to my 1st knuckle deep.

Attachments

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is there any water coming in? Looks like just a void in the casting near the corner. If it's not leaking, I don't know that I would worry about it.

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Is there any water coming in? Looks like just a void in the casting near the corner. If it's not leaking, I don't know that I would worry about it.
Not sure I only noticed it tonight. There’s definitely water in the hole but could have entered from the bilge. I’ll check next time I have it out if there’s anything coming up from there.

also, the bilge is so poorly designed there are so many places where water can rest that will never drain unless you have the boat on a 45 degree tilt sideways.

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
@FLJetBoater ..... I agree with @tdonoughue and would respectfully add that I would make sure exactly what that hole was as you could do more damage by sealing it up. You could use a basic construction camera (homeowners boroscope) and put the long gooseneck with led light and camera into that hole to see what was in it (Iike water) and where it led. Only then would I seal it up. :cool:

ChrisM

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
That looks like just sloppy resin at the base of the bilge or on the interior of a chine as seadeals pointed out.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It looks to me that the factory or somebody cut out some extra fiberglass so the S.S. washer/nylock nut would have a flat surface to engage. I would check how far the hole goes and how much water is there with the thinnest tube of my oil extractor to see how much water is actually there, if you start pulling water. Once you dry it out, you can seal it up. I don't think it is part of the bilge drain maze.

Last edited:

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks for all the tips. There's definitely water in there since anything that would have been in the bilge would have just drained right down into there. I'll stick the oil pump in there and see how much I can suck out or see how far it goes...