• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Honest review of the Wake Booster

Bquick178

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
If anyone is interested in our Gantlin Wake Wedge it’s for sale $350 plus shipping
I'm sure it's sold because it's an old post, but I would be interested if you haven't sold it already.

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Even with the new TVW I'm going to find a good way to add a little more ballast, my 2015 212X comes out of hibernation tomorrow and my next project is a home made wake enhancer....I own a metal fab shop so I'm going to involve our team and see what we can come up with.
how did the homemade booster work?

dadofral

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
how did the homemade booster work?
Sorry for the very late reply, our summer has been busier than we thought with family stuff and I still have not gotten around to this yet...hoping to still before it goes into storage.

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Sorry for the very late reply, our summer has been busier than we thought with family stuff and I still have not gotten around to this yet...hoping to still before it goes into storage.
All good - hope you get out soon

CDubya

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I am definitely no surf expert, nor do i have any interest to surf.
but i never see a decent curl to the wave or even a clean wake. That wave doesn't seem to give you much room to play
Here’s a wake we made today with our 210 FSH. We had the wake booster on and 750lb fat sac, two adults up front and 3 kids on the swim deck and me at the helm when I wasn’t surfing. I think the wave looked great and I was able to use 7-10’ of the wave while I surfed.

Bogie

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Why is the wakebooster only made for 2017 and newer on a 212x. Why wont it work The 2016 and 2017 are identical.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Why is the wakebooster only made for 2017 and newer on a 212x. Why wont it work The 2016 and 2017 are identical.
The 2017 and newer swim platform's underside is flat. The previous generation had more of a curved shape. The booster needs a flat place to mount.

CDubya

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I’m not familiar with either of them but I have one on my 2020 Fsh. It works really good and gives me a clean smooth wake.
I’m sure it will work just fine as long as the tie down U bolt is in the same position on the 2016. It does have two little tabs that are bent at a 90° sticking up that could prohibit it from being positioned right if the setup isn’t the same or very close to the same. There are probably people on here who know a lot more about it than I do though. Personally I feel like with enough determination and ingenuity you could make it work on any boat with a swim platform

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
As mentioned the pre2017 models had a curve where the swimdeck meets the transom. The 2017 and newer don’t have the curve. The wake booster hugs around this area so I imagine the older curved boats underside would interfere.

tahoelocal

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Our observations have been that the booster will work pretty well without ballast but adding ballast is actually going to diminish the effects and make the wave less clean.

From what I've seen when you submerge the swim deck you effectively block the additional flow of water that the booster provides. In essence the booster is like a big water cannon blasting water from the jet pump away from the wave on the booster side. If the water volume is diminished by submerging the booster a bit then it makes sense that the ballast would not help but rather hurt the booster.

The opposite is true for the Thrust Vector Wake. The more ballast you add the better the system gets. But, you have to have ballast to really get a tall wave. I believe the wave height with the booster and the Thrust Vector (without ballast) is about the same.
Is this still the case for new Yamaha Wakebooster on a 2018 AR240? Ballasts actually make the wave smaller??

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Is this still the case for new Yamaha Wakebooster on a 2018 AR240? Ballasts actually make the wave smaller??
That is not true at all. The correct amount of ballast will make a wave with the booster. The problem with the booster is it introduces air into the wave which doesn't give you the push that you need. Same ballast setup with the booster vs the Wake Wedge and it is truly a different animal. Booster uses more RPMS on the motor, has more drag, and uses more fuel then then the Wake Wedge does. Wake Wedge produces a clean wave with more power and can be left on the boat all day if desired.

atlbravesr1

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Wish I had a template. The mounting plate and fabrication look like a piece of cake. The deflector length, width, height, and angle is what you need to get right. I can probably get close with pictures.
did you ever get measuements? trying to locate measurements for 21 foot 2020 to build one myself?