• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Hoppe Hour - Stereo Upgrade

The Canuck

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
After missing out on a really good deal (based off of comments on this forum) for some OEM Polk speakers and Amps, I am back to square one, and probably where I should have really started. I am trying to think through everything, and piece together a system. I tried searching for a generic checklist, but couldn't find anything... Granted every system is different, so there is no one set list. But I was hoping for at least a starting point. That being said, I am hoping I can get some input if I am on the right track, missing anything, etc, with the list below.

Our lake is not huge, but we definitely want some better sound when we decide to go and float either out on the lake or at our dock. I think the tower speakers are going to help immensely, as it will cast the sound to where we are floating. Subwoofer is a nice touch, and who doesn't like a little extra boom.

Battery:
- Our boat already has a dual battery set-up - otherwise I would need to make it a dual set-up.​
Stereo:
- Head-unit​
- Transom Remote​

Speakers:
- In-Cabin Speakers to replace existing (4)​
- Option to add mid-cabin speakers​
- Tower speakers​
- Mounting Bracket​
- Subwoofer​

Amplifiers:
- 6-channel for speakers (allows me to zone towers and in-cabin bow/stern with current head-unit - 4 zones)​
- 4-channel - if I add mid-cabin speakers and then use the other channel for the subwoofer (??)​
- Mono block for Subwoofer - if I don’t go the 4-channel route - assuming mono is better route for Sub​

Electrical:
- Power Cable - size/gauge dependent up Amplifiers​
- In-line fuse Holder - refer to cable size and Amplifiers​
- Fuse​
- Distribution Block - distribute power to the multiple Amplifiers​
- Fuses​
- RCA Cables - to connect head-unit to Amps​
- Speaker Wire - refer to speaker manuf. recommendations​
- Wire Spades - for connecting speakers to Speaker Wire​
- Bullet Connectors - for connecting the LED wires - if I choose to go that route - rarely boat at night​
- LED Controller - if I go that route​
- Heat shrink tubing​

Miscellaneous:
- Amp mounting board​
- Grommets - I will have to drill holes in the tower to run the wire(s) up​
- Cable Seal - seals the wires from the hull to the tower​
- Marine Sealant​
- Zip-ties​
Am I missing anything?

The Canuck

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I already have the head-unit (Fusion MS-RA770) and transom remote (Fusion ERX400).

Speakers I am thinking of getting are the Fusion Signature 3 series (not the 3i). Reason being they are last years model, and with some searching I can find them for upwards of 77% off ($110/pair). The specs appear to be the same as this years model. The downfall is that they don't have the same range/spectrum as say the JL Audio (forum favorite) for the highs and lows. But I guess that's where adding a subwoofer will help.

Subwoofer, similar to the component speakers, I can find the Signature 3 series at some heavily discounted pricing. And this allows all the speakers to be of the same brand/level.

Amps I was thinking Fusion Apollo, as it integrates and there are controls in the head-unit that "talk" with the Amps, apparently making the set-up of the system pretty flawless. Though I have found some nicely marked down JL Audio Amps that for a 6-channel and mono block will be cheaper than (1) Fusion 6-channel amp.

I think the rest of the components I can find at places like Knukonceptz or Amazon.

Again, all thoughts/guidance is welcome.

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sounds like a good plan. I think the Apollo amp is a good choice if you’re all in with Fusion and aren’t looking to micromanage the tuning. I like Fusion and I like using one manufacturer for all components if I can. I just got an RA210, literally today. Since I won’t have an external amp I’m using the Fusion XS speakers. That price on the Sig 3 speakers is fantastic. I can’t imagine anything making it worth paying more for the 3i model. I may need to think about getting an amp and getting them.

The Canuck

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well I took advantage of some "open box" amplifiers (JL Audio M600/6 & JL Audio M600/1), so I won't be going with the Fusion Apollo. Both come with a full manuf. warranty, and the total price of the two was less than (1) 6-channel amp from Fusion or JL Audio. The Fusion Apollo amps I think are too new to find any deals at the moment. Speakers as I mentioned are another story, and I think with patience and due diligence I will be able to find what I need.

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Fun project - take your time to think through locations for electronics etc considering storage. if it helps here’s the link to what I did. With parts list. In hindsight - I ended up upgrading my tower amp for more power. So spend the $$ up front to power your system well.

@Hoyt has a badass system so check out hisbuild thread too

The Canuck

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Will a 12" subwoofer fit in the wall of the bench seats that are at the stern? The boat is currently in storage so I can't verify the measurements. Also this would most likely be a free-air sub, as I don't want to take up the storage space any more than I already am.

I can get a 10" subwoofer, which seems to be a very common size, but for $100 less, I could go with a 12" subwoofer.

Thoughts?

The Canuck

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Got everything ordered and now it is slowly starting to trickle in.

Component Speakers - $334 total ($860 retail)
(4) Fusion SG-FL652SPW

Tower Speakers - $233 total ($700 retail)
(2) Fusion SG-FLT652SPW

Tower Clamps - $108 total ($150 retail)
Fixed mounts

10" Subwoofer - $318 ($370 retail)
(1) Fusion SG-SL102SPW

Amplifiers - $820 ($1,450 retail)
JL Audio M600/1
JL Audio M600/6

Electrical Components - $355 ($355 retail)
Knukonceptz - all wiring, fuses, distribution block, cables, etc.

Amp Mounting Board - $tbd
haven't determined what I am doing yet (plastic vs. painted plywood)

Miscellaneous - $tbd
I am sure I will need some additional items like grommets, mesh sleeve to prevent rubbing, etc.

Essentially I am about $2,170 into it. I figure retail would be about $4,100. Joys of doing some digging and being ok with "last years" models.

NoFla21

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Where did you find your JL Amps for a deal?

The Canuck

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
www.abt.com

Searched "open box" - just checked they still have the same amps I listed as available.

The amps just arrived and they look brand new. The tape that is on the plastic bag doesn't even look like it has been opened. So definitely a great find.

NoFla21

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
www.abt.com

Searched "open box" - just checked they still have the same amps I listed as available.

The amps just arrived and they look brand new. The tape that is on the plastic bag doesn't even look like it has been opened. So definitely a great find.
I never heard of this site. How does it work regarding the warranty with an open box from this site?

The Canuck

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I never heard of this site. How does it work regarding the warranty with an open box from this site?
It's a HUGE electronics/appliance store in north Chicago. Bought many things from them when I used to live up that way. So you can rest assure its not a sketchy online place.

Warranty - I asked the same question, and was told it follows the manufacturer's warranty. Essentially its as if you are buying it brand new.

NoFla21

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you for this info!

The Canuck

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Now that the boats out of storage, I am anxious to start the upgrade. One question I have and I am trying to determine if it's really worth it or not... upgrade the existing speaker wire. It looks like it is thinner gauge wire, and I am sure if I change it out to something a little thicker/better it would be an upgrade. But is it a noticeable upgrade? I know thats subjective, but is it a little bit better, or is it amazingly better? I don't want to spend the time fishing wire everywhere if its not going to make a huge difference, but I also don't want to limit what these speakers can do if it really will make a huge difference. Thoughts?

NoFla21

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I highly recommend you make the change. You are dumping a lot of cash and effort to make your system top-notch, the last thing you want is crappy wire on the back end. While I did not run the wires myself, my installer said it was way easier than anticipated since there was a lot of room to work with.

The Canuck

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thats what I figured, but wanted to confirm.

Do you know if your installer took out the old wire, or just cut them back to keep it clean?

The Canuck

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Speakers installed and am loving it. Sounds amazing, and the kids love that the seats now vibrate, lol. Forgot to take a photo of the amps, but I think I need to do some fine tuning with it, via JL Audio's 9-step tuning. Then maybe I can get a photo of that. Sort of tired crawling under seats and trying to fit into smaller spaces.

Only thing I am not so sure about are the tower speakers. They are the 6.5" (so on the smaller side) but I thought they would have been a little louder. I have adjusted the separate volume for it, but it doesn't sound as loud as the cabin speakers. I mean I can make them louder, but then they are turned up more than the cabin speakers. Since they are the exact same speakers as the cabin speakers I feel like the adjustments for each of those should be the same. Maybe I have seen one too many setups that are larger, on this forum.

Also installed a voltmeter so we can keep track of the house battery. Haven't researched yet, what is too low, or at what output level the battery is close to being dead. I am sure the forum has an answer for me. ;)

IMG_9236.jpegIMG_9237.jpegIMG_9238.jpegIMG_9235.jpeg

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
How is the sub? I didn't think Fusion made any IB subwoofers.

The Canuck

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think it sounds great. Granted I have not been around any other systems like this, and only heard stuff via YouTube or video's posted here.

Kids love it, as they said the seats now vibrate.