• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Horn quit working

cbus

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
At the end of last year, my horn and back stereo controller quit working. Is this usual to have to replace these or do you think it is fuse related?

Thanks!

The horn, yes. the stereo remote on the swimdeck, no. I had to replace the horn in my previous SX230 after 7 years. As for your remote, I wonder if something just got disconnected.

Yes, my horn goes out annually. I just keep an air one nearby now. Someday I will buy a real horn with which to replace it.

The swim deck remote is always problematic. The connectors leak and I think mine developed a leak in the whole unit. I finally unplugged the whole thing. For the 2 times I think I have ever adjusted anything with it, the shorts and freaky operation (volume increasing wo/touching anything, won't turn off, etc.) of the HU due to it just were not worth it.

If I have to replace the horn, does anyone have a good idea of one that is louder and better than stock?

my horn has never worked. I keep an air horn on board

Knock on wood...mine has always worked. But it sounds like someone molesting a rat....lol:eek:

Anybody have a link to the OEM stock one for a 2011 Limited S? I tried sports plaza but couldn't find it listed.

My horn was sounding a bit anemic - since I carry an air horn, it wasn't a big deal.

That is it wasn't a big deal until my grandson had "fun" with the air horn.....so I took a look at the horn to figure out why it sounded so weak.

And I got it figured out right away.

I fixed it with one of the cheese and cracker hors douvers my wife makes...the dang thing was just HUNGRY!

horn.jpg

I replaced my horn with one from west marine. It is loud and it always works. The 2010s had a problem with the rear remote going out. Mine finally did last year but we rarely used it so it wasn't a problem.

I replaced my horn with one from west marine. It is loud and it always works. The 2010s had a problem with the rear remote going out. Mine finally did last year but we rarely used it so it wasn't a problem.
Do you know which horn you bought? Was it plug and play or did you have to drill new holes or anything??

I will have to look to see if I have the exact part number. I did have to widen the exiting hole a little but the horn was about the same size. I will look tonight to see if I kept the part number.

On my 4th horn, all were covered under the YES plan, and yes, when they get cranky, they make some very unusual sounds before they die.

So, I was a victim of Amazon's anniversary this week. One of the deals they showed me was for a Wolo stainless steel set of horns. It was like $73, which was a good price (I checked), so I ordered it. Today, this came:
WIN_20150717_225146.JPG
I included the paper in the photo to provide some scale. These suckers are HUGE! I wasn't planning on something that big. They only looked small in the picture...

Anyway, my original plan was to mount these over the existing horn port (leave the existing grate there and just run the wires out the side of it). However, with the size of these, we will have to see what I come up with...

They will mount nicely on your tower with a custom bracket.

Tower? Hell, on the tower they will probably pull the whole boat over if the wind blows us a little...

<grin>

Not too bad installed. Here is where I put it. Sounds MUCH better than the stock 'sick duck' horn!

Wiring is not completely tied up (I have my amp out right now, so when I get that back in I will tie up these wires, too). But basically I unplugged the wires from the horn and pulled them aft out of the casing until I had enough to reach the new forward position.

Note how close I am to the helm space there. Another inch aft and I would have been having a difficult time. Good thing I planned it as I did. Er...

One other note is that I was not able to use the hardware that came with the horns. The bolts were too short to fit through the fiberglass. I drilled a hole just above the aft bracket on the horn for the wiring; sealed that up with 4200.

Back