• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Hot water out the pisser

sbotkin

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello everyone! New to the forum and fairly green to the sport this will be my 3rd season with a jet boat so forgive my ignorance on certain things. Wanted to get an experienced take on my issue before hiring a mobile mechanic. My Yamaha AR-240 ran fine most the day yesterday, stopped to swim for an hour or so and went to fire it back up and check engine light came on and the port side engine didn’t sound great. Tried resetting the battery it did the same thing. Noticed the trickle of water coming out the pisser was extremely hot. Like coffee hot. Shut it off and got it towed back. Used the port engine to park it, pisser was normal temps. All hoses appear to be intact, checked tray, no debris in clean out ports. The issue started a few days ago the port engine sucked up fishing line and redlined/shut off. Cleaned it out but since it went into Limp Mode just got it to the dock since I was still close and did a battery reset and changed out all the spark plugs on both engines (one at a time). This seemed to have fixed it until yesterday. Now I am worried.

boat stored outside and wrapped this last winter. Winterize every year.

Last edited:
Seems you fix the fishing line issue so let talk about this might be a new problem. An overheat issue I would start with the Jet pickup screen and remove it and clean.......my next move on a 2014 is remove and replace the Thermostats. Those are 2 easy and cost effective Maintenace areas to start with.

Also the pisser had low water flow right? lower flow than the other engine. if so the thermostat sticking would cause higher flow at the pisser not lower trickle.

Last edited:
Sounds like you could have plugged up your cooling water intake inside your jet pump/nozzle.

Not sure what you mean by redlined - the RPMs on that engine shot up when you sucked up the fishing line?

Would be a pretty major coincidence to not be related.

If I were you I’d pull the boat out and pull the affected pump that you sucked fishing line into. This will guarantee there is nothing in that area plus you can check the cooling intake like others suggested above.

You can follow each cooling line from the engine compartment to pissers to figure out which one is from the exhaust and thermostats. If on the water just check the pissers while at cruising speed for a second to see if one isn’t flowing as good as the others and then follow that line.

I can see a redline RPM.....with fishing string causing cavitation......... motor could heat up and set off limp mode if it cavitated long enough.

A battery reset after line removal should have cleared the limp mode...........and that should not have caused a low flow out of the pisser. Got to be a blockage somewhere.

I could test my boat on my hose house water..........it has strong water flow at the pisser on my hose and that would show the engine is clear forward of the Y adapter(flush hose)........if my boat then showed low pisser flow in the water is would show a restriction Rearward of the Y connector meaning a restriction in the jet pick up. Easy test for my boats its on a lift so its an easy hose vers in the water test to look at the pisser flow on the bad engine.

Back