• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

House battery

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I discovered yesterday while washing my boat and playing the stereo that the house or stereo battery is shot. I had it on my smart charger right up till I pulled the boat out of the garage. It was reading 100% and was in the maintain state on the charger. I hooked up the ipod and set the volume at a reasonable level to not piss any neighbors off and I got busy cleaning. It wasn't an hour later and the music just quit. The amps cut off and that was it. There wasn't enough juice left to even power the display on the head unit. I switched over to battery #1 and all was well and was able to finish cleaning with tunes the rest of the boat. Battery #1 is my starting battery that's a group 24 sized starting\deep cycle that's served me well for years. It's a flooded cell Everstart from Walmart.
The battery in question is an AGM made by SVR. It's a high performance competition audio battery that my stereo installer used three years ago. I'm not real sure that it's a deep cycle or not. I know I've completely killed it at least a few times. I do not have a VSR or any of those other types of relay things so I can keep the batteries separate.
I'm looking for advice from the board on what to replace the house\stereo battery with. I'm willing to go to a larger battery if needed because I'm replacing the battery box I currently use to a tray like my starting battery has. I use a portable battery charger to maintain my batteries and I'm tired of messing with the box lid and strap. I've been toying with the idea of a built in charger, but haven't figured out what I should have. I was trying to follow a thread on the other forum, but I got real confused and quit reading. I have a switch that's an a-b-combine and off if that helps with deciding on what kind of built in charger to go with if at all. To further complicate things, the batteries are on opposite sides of the boat. I like the idea of another AGM battery because I think it's a safe design. I know Optimas are supposed to be very good, but are also rather expensive. Looking for help on which direction to go with a new battery and with an on board charger or not and which brand and type on that. Thanks guys.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am planning to add a second battery to my SX230 in the next month or so. I have purchased a dual battery switch and dual battery charger. I picked up a Guest 10 amp 2610a dual battery charger new in box on Ebay for $87 shipped. That was more of a choice based on being a good deal rather than a preference for a specific brand or model. I feel like the dual and triple on board battery chargers that are available typically are pretty good products.

As for batteries, I have had Optima Yellow Tops in two vehicles. My Wife's VW Jetta and my 968. She is a teacher so her car often sits for long times during spring break, summer break and winter break. The factory battery died after two years and replacement non deep cycles were dying after a year. I installed an Optima and it was still going when we sold it six years latter. It had been fully discharged several times. The 968 is a nice day vehicle so it sits for long periods as well.

I have two large computer battery backup systems. One is a 5000 VA APC Matrix which uses four car battery sized AGM batteries in its stock configuration. It is a 48 volt system. I have converted it to use four Interstate group 27 marine deep cycle batteries. The other is a remote tower with a 24 volt system using three 8 volt golf cart batteries. The tower uses a home made UPS system with a 24 volt charger, a solar charge controller and a 24 volt DC to DC power supply.

So I have a little bit of experience with the various battery options.

AGM batteries are capable of a larger number of charge / discharge cycles, handle temperature extremes better and are lighter weight. But they require a suitable charger.

Deep cycle batteries have greater capacity and handle charge / discharge better than automotive batteries.

Golf Cart batteries have greater capacity and handle charge / discharge better than deep cycle batteries. They are 6 or 8 volts. You need two 6v batteries in series to power the boat. There is no backup if one of them runs down.

I plan to use two deep cycle batteries in my upgrade. As a comparison between deep cycle and AGM, the Interstate Group 27M has 160 minutes of RC http://www.interstatebatteries.com/cs_estore/Content.aspx?dsNav=Ntk~SearchGroup|MarineDeepCycle|3| while the optima D27M has 140 minutes. So the deep cycle has 20 minutes (14%) greater capacity at a 25 amp load at 80 degrees.

I like Interstate deep cycles. I use four for my computer backup. They are stocked by many automotive and tires shops so you can buy and exchange them practically anywhere.

If you are going to buy an AGM battery I would consider either the Optima Yellow Tops which I believe are less expensive but just as good as the Blue Tops or Interstate has a line of AGM batteries now.

DCB-270

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I burned up two Guest chargers. I bought them because I like their On board plug. You don't have to cut the cord. I have a mini koda charger now. Had to cut the cord. One year old and so far so good but who knows. I have four deep cell Interstate batteries all wired together. My stereo draws more current than trying to start one motor so I don't worry about draining the batteries and getting stuck. If the stereo quits we turn it off.
Good luck on your choices.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just re-powered with 2 group 27 AGM's from Deka. Interstates are nice batts also. I have Pro-mariner chargers in 3 boats with not one problem. Choose a charger that charges at minimum 10 amps and has 2 leads (2 banks). Make sure you can set it for AGM batteries if that is what you get. AGM's add some protection against vibration which reduces battery life span. Always charge with your battery switch in the off position.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I did some battery research last fall and found the Dekas to have the edge in performance. It's made by East Penn and rebranded for some resellers. I plan on installing two of the 8A24M or 8A27M batteries with a blue sea add a battery switch following Mel's diagram this spring.
I found this website as a reasonable place to buy them. http://www.tristatebattery.com/8a24m-deka-intimidator-high-performance-agm-battery-p-1354.html

Deka Intimidator 9A34M Specifications
Group Size34 (Marine Terminals)
Warranty12 Month
ChemistryAGM (Absorbed Glass Mat)
Cold Cranking Amps (CCA)775
Cranking Amps (CA)955
Reserve Capacity (RC)120
Amp Hour Rate (Ah)55
Dimensions
Length:
10 3/4"
Width:6 7/8"
Height:8 3/8"
Deka Intimidator 8A24M Specifications:
Group Size24 (Marine Terminals)
Warranty36 Month
Cold Cranking Amps (CCA)525
Cranking Amps (CA)800
Reserve Capacity (RC)135
Amp Hour Rate (Ah)79
Dimensions:
Length:
10 7/8"
Width:6 3/4"
Height:9 7/8"
Deka Intimidator 8A27M Specifications:
Group Size27 (Marine Terminals)
Warranty36 Month
Cold Cranking Amps (CCA)580
Cranking Amps (CA)900
Reserve Capacity (RC)175
Amp Hour Rate (Ah)92
Dimensions:
Length:
12 3/4"
Width:6 3/4"
Height:9 7/8"

Last edited:

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My back is still hurting from lifting those group 27's the wrong way! Ugh... I was in a hurry and forgot that I'm not 25 anymore!!

Cowboy Casey

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
trust me when I say, I do batteries.. I have 5 batteries total, 4 for the stereo...

I did research on over 8 different types and companies making batteries and came to the conclusion deep cell work the best, and last the longest...

I went with batteries plus, they have great batteries, and great warranties... I have had 2 of these on my last boat and the 4 now.. they last all day and charge nicely overnight.. the only thing you have to remember, they weigh in at 60 pounds per battery, so you get ballast as a bonus.. :)

they are rated at
AH rating at a 20 amp draw rate (this is important when looking at batteries)
SLI31MDC = 105AH Reserve capacity
to charge both batteries, get this
  • Guest 12 Amp Battery Charger - Model 16102 Chargers
  • Battery System: 2 - 12 Volt 6 amp per battery
also got this, it allows you to run the power cord through the hull just forward of your gas tank and connect a 50 or 100 foot extension cord to it( make sure it can handle 12 amps)
Pro Mariner Universal AC Plug Holder, Black

Cowboy Casey

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have 6 golf cart batteries for my sound system from costco. They work great and recharge over night. Plus I get costco's awesome return policy.
golf cart 6 volt batteries are great, you have to watch them when you recharge them.. the are notorious for out-gasing if you put to much juice when recharging.. as long as you keep the amps down below 12 or so you should be fine.. If you use a golf cart charger they will out-gas like crazzy, my neighbor has a golf cart and below his batteries it looks like a war zone... for that reason I chose not to use them...

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Pearce, AGM or just a good deep cycle battery is a good option. AGM is great because it doesn't off gas nearly as bad as standard lead acid. It also doesn't leak like they can, you never have to check fluid levels, and you don't have to remove them. But I had 2 go bad at the 4 year mark and replaced both of them, $330 with tax when I was selling the boat to Danny and Cheryl. Nothing like spending money when it is going out the door! But I had advertised with AGM's and I wasn't going to put anything less. All the things posted above are true, they are supposed to be more forgiving with deep discharges, recharge faster, take greater amps during recharge, handle being hammered, and not ever ruin anything inside the boat. But 3 years? It just isn't good enough for the difference in money. Now, I used the Deka (East Penn) batteries from Batteries Plus too, like Derick, and they are cheaper than the optimas by a long margin. But not nearly as cheap as a good deep cycle. Oh, AGM's are deep cycle by nature. But no battery, deep cycle or otherwise, wants to be drained to zero amps. A dead battery is around 10 amps generally, so if you literally did drain yours, and then let it set to deplete further, that can kill a battery.

The good thing about having an ACR or VSR, is that it gives the battery some feedback and doesn't drain it completely near as often. That helps to maintain a longer life. But for guys like Dan and Casey, they have BIG systems, and need to isolate their stereo bank and will use it until it quits pretty often. That is ok...because they have high demand amplifiers, and when the music quits, they still have capacity, just not enough to run a big stereo system. So when they are done, they are done.

I think I would put another, larger capacity, deep cycle or AGM in and go on down the road. I am guessing maybe that battery was drained deep a few too many times. The easy fix is just replace and truck on my friend!

Cory

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Mine came with a pair of Interstates. They have worked well

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I checked several places (fleet farm, batteries plus, walmart, Napa, etc.. and could not find the Deka battery I listed above at any of them. That's why I posted the tristate battery link as it looks like a good place to purchase the battery at a reasonable price. Mel got his at Batteries Plus and when I asked my Batteries Plus about it the guy said they sometimes carry different brands between stores. :confused:

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
. But no battery, deep cycle or otherwise, wants to be drained to zero amps. A dead battery is around 10 amps generally.
Mel I think you're confusing volts and amperes again :rolleyes:

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks guys for the responses. I'm going to check out Batteries plus and Costco since we recently joined there to find the best deal. I've heard great things about their return policy. Another question: Would it be better to have say a single large battery like a group 31 or run two group 24's in parallel? I'm not planning to replace my charger unless I decide to go to a built in unit.

Magic

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Both our batteries were replaced two weeks ago, bought 2x group 27's from Costco. Both batteries were shot, both died at the same time...... 4 years on 'em so I can't complain! Had the 60 month warranty so 2 new batteries out the door for $113.00

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Mel I think you're confusing volts and amperes again :rolleyes:
Dang Mark...don't you know you need to watch me!:) LOL thanks for correcting me...AGAIN!;) I need help!:facepalm:

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you want to save a few bucks, look for the wholesale supplier in your area. They usually handle retail customers and will save you a pretty dime. Batteries Plus offers great service but has a large markup on all of their products. Even your corner mechanic shop can order you batteries from his supplier (Interstate, etc.) if you wanted another route to save a few bucks.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@cowboy_casey, @Magic (and anyone else who can direct me please respond) Pulling this thread from the archive to see how your batteries are holding up for you. I'm a Costco member so I can go that route, and we also have a Batteries+ nearby as well. Since you did your swap a few years ago, how are things holding up? My house battery bit the dust and needs replacing. (Larger Rockford Fostgate system installed by original owner is nice to use while beached)