• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How bad is this scratch?

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Just got done cleaning the boat and putting it in the garage for the winter and noticed somehow I got a really bad scratch on the front of the boat this year. Don’t remember it happening and I don’t remember seeing it on any of my weekly cleanings.

How bad is this? Does this 100% have to be fixed before going in water in spring? Or this is something that could be left alone for years with no ill effects?

I would also welcome any suggestions on how to fix it. 2015 SX210 and it’s on the front of the boat on the black paint.

Here’s a few pics.

Thanks

Attachments

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just got done cleaning the boat and putting it in the garage for the winter and noticed somehow I got a really bad scratch on the front of the boat this year. Don’t remember it happening and I don’t remember seeing it on any of my weekly cleanings.

How bad is this? Does this 100% have to be fixed before going in water in spring? Or this is something that could be left alone for years with no ill effects?

I would also welcome any suggestions on how to fix it. 2015 SX210 and it’s on the front of the boat on the black paint.

Here’s a few pics.

Thanks
It does not look bad. How deep is it. If its deep and under the water line, definitely fix it. If its a cosmetic scratch , above the water line and you can deal with it. you should not. I personally would fix it with spectrum color match paste. I hate scratches on my boat so that's me.
Its not difficult to fix and that would not take a lot of time.

https://jetboaters.net/threads/sick-to-my-stomach-need-guidance.1398/#post-20131

merlinjet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Not a bad scratch but I can't judge the depth. I would fix it this winter (also a good time clean up any other blemishes while you have the process going). Easy DIY fix with the right tools, 3M products and color matched gelcoat. There are lots of gelcoat repair vids on youtube. Once you look at a couple of you'll be comfortable with the process and know exactly what you need.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
looks more like a paint transfer from something get some polish and a rag and get rid of it.

Whisky

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Don't panic.... first big ding SUCKS.

I got a very similar looking one first weekend out with the new boat..... some person who I would love to call a million names wake surfed right by the docks and sent us bouncing around, got a similar mark from the edge of the dock, I was mad at first, but it's not the end of the world. First one always hurts the most.

If it's similar to mine, which is also above the waterline and under cover for the winter. I left it for the summer and plan to patch it in spring. Don't fret, the first scratch always hurts the most.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
DO NOT ATTEMPT to LUNCH the BOAT WILL SINK LOL

that is a 2 hour job even if you have no experience. Read the link that @djetok gave you. You can order the parts you need and be done in no time.
I will not let it sit over the winter. Moist might accumulate and that is never good. order the parts and find a warm sunny day to tackle it. You will be very proud of yourself once you make it disappear.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
DO NOT ATTEMPT to LUNCH the BOAT WILL SINK LOL

that is a 2 hour job even if you have no experience. Read the link that @djetok gave you. You can order the parts you need and be done in no time.
I will not let it sit over the winter. Moist might accumulate and that is never good. order the parts and find a warm sunny day to tackle it. You will be very proud of yourself once you make it disappear.
How about dinner or breakfast ?

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral