• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How do I watch NHL playoffs with no cable?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No cable and not paying $60 for fubo.

Is there a way to watch/stream for free or using the usual like Prime/Hulu (not live)/Netflix, without cable subscription?
Or - do I need to unlock the Firestick?
Just for the amount of TV we watch it is not worth paying expensive subscriptions, I am so disgusted I can not watch my local NHL team play in playoffs... What the hell...

--

Dpod13

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hulu live is like 40$ but that’s about all I know

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I
No cable and not paying $60 for fubo.

Is there a way to watch/stream for free or using the usual like Prime/Hulu (not live)/Netflix, without cable subscription?
Or - do I need to unlock the Firestick?
Just for the amount of TV we watch it is not worth paying expensive subscriptions, I am so disgusted I can not watch my local NHL team play in playoffs... What the hell...

--
Is it not being broadcast on regular network? If you’re within 45 miles of downtown, you should easily be able to pickup the HD broadcast with an HD Antenna mounted on your roof. Probably an antenna sitting in your window sill within 30 miles. I’ve had very good luck with Mohu antennas.

The coax cable from the antenna goes right into the tv, then tell it you have an antenna instead of cable and have it scan for channels.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Do you have any friends? Do they like you? Just kidding...:)

Do you have Sprint network? Hulu is free. Got it last week for the phone which you can them cast to the TV.

spatty99

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Are streams posted on reddit like they are for NFL, NCAA, etc.?

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We have Directv still. I can watch the Bruins on NESN or NBC/NBCSN. You could move closer to Canada. I live 45mins. from the border and get at least 5 Canadian channels over the air, most english. Hockey Night in Canada is always on. ;) You can try this app. I have it, but have not tried it yet.

Edit: Tried it, there is a delay but I could watch the game.

20190421_093456.jpg

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I

Is it not being broadcast on regular network? If you’re within 45 miles of downtown, you should easily be able to pickup the HD broadcast with an HD Antenna mounted on your roof. Probably an antenna sitting in your window sill within 30 miles. I’ve had very good luck with Mohu antennas.

The coax cable from the antenna goes right into the tv, then tell it you have an antenna instead of cable and have it scan for channels.
Nope.
Here is the thing: do have an antenna and it works excellent for local broadcasts.

But, unless I’m a complete idiot which could of course easily be argued, apparently you needed Fox cable subscription to watch Blues playoff games - in Saint Louis.

I hope I’m just missing something here, because if I’m not this is pretty effed up.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Are streams posted on reddit like they are for NFL, NCAA, etc.?
Kate ended up just tuning on the radio, I’m sure most things can be streamed, It just doesn’t work for me when I sit down trying to relax and realize I have five large tv screens and nothing to watch.

Sorry for the rant. We cut the cable recently, which was probably worse, but we have ended up with a bunch of new subscriptions for things like premium Netflix amazon and some other nonsense and... nothing to watch there...

Sometimes I imagine a group of “genius” millennial advertising execs developing an algorithm that predicts exactly what I want to watch and moving it in time to a subscription service I currently do not have a subscription for.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
One of my biggest complaints with streaming services is the manner in which you "surf". You don't flip channels looking for something interesting, you have to know what you want to watch before you start. A completely different way to watch. For some it's no big deal for me it's a giant PIA.

As for live sports. We have some friends with a local cable login. We use this to stream live content we couldn't otherwise get without cable. Use the browser built right into the TV. We work hard to not abuse this gift from friends. Without this, I'm really not certain how we would watch the "big games". Most likely find a local pub to go to and ask them to put it on. Usually if you're buying a few drinks they don't mind.

For the things that are really important, I've bought subscriptions to that sport. MotoGP and Formula1 both get $60/yr from me to ensure I can follow those series. MotoGP has really stepped up the additional content the last few years as well, which is nice for "between races content". Does the NHL offer a dedicated streaming package? If that's your thing then it might be worth the yearly buy.

bhos13

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NHL.tv through a non-US VPN; you can research that at reddit.com/r/NHLStreams . There are other ways that avoid an NHL.tv subscription, but they probably shouldn't be discussed here.
Go Blues!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
NHL.tv through a non-US VPN; you can research that at reddit.com/r/NHLStreams . There are other ways that avoid an NHL.tv subscription, but they probably shouldn't be discussed here.
Go Blues!
Looks like an off-season and playoff pass is $10. Probably worth the money IMO.

Any idea what a normal season pass is to stream?

Patriot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Recently cut cable tv also. Now just pay for internet. I picked up a $25/month Sling Blue subscription. It has NBCSN which I’ve been able to watch Bruins games on this playoffs. I also have an HD antenna and have used that to get NBCSN also in the instance where Sling didn’t have one of the games. NBCSN should broadcast local teams.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It's free. Close all the pop-ups and you will eventually get to the games.
Interesting. Its trying to add something to my Chrome........have you had any problems with this add-on?

ross l

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
...Close all redirects. Close all pop-ups. Do not load anything to your PC or Chromebook. Close any other browser that is not vipbox.live. Here is a link to the stars preds game tonight.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here is a free movie site. Same thing here...close redirects, pop-ups, don't load anything, close browsers that aren't fmovies.to.
I appreciate the great advice. However, those sites disappear and reappear way faster than my usual need for those, so I'm just still looking for a way to watch local sports on a local TV (air broadcast) network... Seems to be the thing of the past, sadly.

--

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
There is a cord cutter thread that is pretty deep. You may want to check out the fire tv recast. It is basically a centralized OTA tuner with dvr that can wirelessly broadcast what it picks up to any tv with fire tv sticks/boxes or fire tv built in. Two different models. Mount the antenna in the attic on or the roof and you should pick up quite a bit if closest enough to a metro area. That plus the online services should fill most of the gaps.

Be wary of free sites with lots of pop ups. Those increase the risk of picking up malware, trojan, virus, etc..

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There is a cord cutter thread that is pretty deep. You may want to check out the fire tv recast. It is basically a centralized OTA tuner with dvr that can wirelessly broadcast what it picks up to any tv with fire tv sticks/boxes or fire tv built in. Two different models. Mount the antenna in the attic on or the roof and you should pick up quite a bit if closest enough to a metro area. That plus the online services should fill most of the gaps.

Be wary of free sites with lots of pop ups. Those increase the risk of picking up malware, trojan, virus, etc..
That is essentially what I have. HDHomeRun device. Converts OTA signal into network, then any network attached device can watch the signal. Home network has to be pretty robust to handle the uncompressed HD format (MPEG-2 is not nearly as effecient in bandwidth as something like an MP4). A decent router will handle multiple streams though.

We have that setup, Netflix, and Amazon Prime. I'm probably going to cancel Prime. I'll pay shipping, and the streaming content isn't that great anyway. We still don't get to see some of the local basketball games because of blackouts and such. Which IMO is the dumbest thing ever. This is where the login from a friends cable account comes in handy. They're watching through a set-top box, or similar device, so it still shows to the cable company as a single login. Again, we coordinate this heavily to ensure we don't cause problems for our friends. We also buy them dinner a couple times as a thank you.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Did a little reading on the nhl playoff broadcasts tonight. Sounds like you’re hosed on the ota front, unfortunately. Lol