• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How does the stator send current to the batteries?

rsg1963

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just wondering how the stators charge the batteries? If it's not through the battery cables going to the starters (not sure how THAT would even work) then I do not see any wire going to the batteries from the engine.
Anyone know?

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think it is through the ECU box there is a connection where the stator wire connects to the battery cable.

MIDLIFECRISIS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Your starter acts as a generator when its not starting the engine. It is always engaged with the engine.[flag]:thumbsup:

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

ruztew

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The stator generates a/c as the engine runs, the a/c is passed to the voltage rectifier that coverts it to 12vdc and supplies it to the battery

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Your starter acts as a generator when its not starting the engine. It is always engaged with the engine.[flag]:thumbsup:
I wish! Like an old bicycle dynamo.
Those are coming back in some hybrid technologies though.

--

rsg1963

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The stator generates a/c as the engine runs, the a/c is passed to the voltage rectifier that coverts it to 12vdc and supplies it to the battery
Thank you for that info. Can I get a bit more info if you have it?
It's that last part I am trying to find. "and supplies it to the battery" <<< How? Through what wire(s)? I rearranged my batteries and I know there are no unknown wires going to either bank. And no wires left over either. Which is why I suggested maybe the starting cables are somehow used to send current BACK to the batteries?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Oh no don't tell me you forgot to feed him !

ruztew

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thank you for that info. Can I get a bit more info if you have it?
It's that last part I am trying to find. "and supplies it to the battery" <<< How? Through what wire(s)? I rearranged my batteries and I know there are no unknown wires going to either bank. And no wires left over either. Which is why I suggested maybe the starting cables are somehow used to send current BACK to the batteries?
That part I don't know. The rectifier has a single connector, so it must be ac in, dc out.... I'm guessing it back feeds into the main battery lines that attach to the battery.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
They have large heat sinks for a reason too...don't touch them after they have been hard at work! don't ask me how I know...

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
most have yellow field wires usually 3 and one red positive wire to the plus side of the battery or circuit and a ground or black ground wire The rectifier changes ac to dc and the regulator decides what the system needs and eliminates the rest

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
It feeds to the main positive wire to your battery that is all you need
Also be advised that if you crossed the polarity for just a split second in any way you blew a fuse That I suspect is there to protect the electronics from that.

Last edited:

rsg1963

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You guys are great as always. I feel like all this info is soooo close the the answer...yet not quite what I need to know. lol
I suppose I can look at the engines and see if the positive cable has any wires spliced into them? Which makes me realize my house batteries would never get charged if that's how they are setup, since I separated the banks. I may have to connect them all via a shared negative and re-introduce that dvsr unit again. Grrr.
More work but still worth the mod if that's the case. I was basically trying to eliminate the 'emergency parallel' circuitry to simplify the setup. Looks like I might have also eliminated the charging somehow too.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The rectifier is always grounded to the engine and the main ground wire so if you isolated a ground circuit you broke the connection for the charging system to any ungrounded battery

rsg1963

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The rectifier is always grounded to the engine and the main ground wire so if you isolated a ground circuit you broke the connection for the charging system to any ungrounded battery
Ahah, now THAT's getting me closer to my issue, Thanks CJS!
I will run a nice fat 2 ga cable from one bank negative to the other bank negative as a first step.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You guys are great as always. I feel like all this info is soooo close the the answer...yet not quite what I need to know. lol
I suppose I can look at the engines and see if the positive cable has any wires spliced into them? Which makes me realize my house batteries would never get charged if that's how they are setup, since I separated the banks. I may have to connect them all via a shared negative and re-introduce that dvsr unit again. Grrr.
More work but still worth the mod if that's the case. I was basically trying to eliminate the 'emergency parallel' circuitry to simplify the setup. Looks like I might have also eliminated the charging somehow too.
Why are you not using the dvsr?
It is what makes the connection to charge the house battery when the voltage goes up, from the engines running.
It set up correctly its simple. Have used the BEP dsvr on many other boats with no issues ever.
The dsvr gets the charge voltage from your regulator/rectifier and sends it to the batteries.
The stators have i think aproximatly 60 volts at 3000rpms when measured between two of the three yellow legs. It then gets knocked down to 14ish volts by the regulator then to the batteries. If you find the hot wire from the regulator, trace it the batteries

Just looked in the manual, the stator wires are green, not yellow. And the red wire from the regulator is the charging wire

Last edited:

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Btw if you have a 3star model the regulators are mounted vertically on the rear of the exhaust manifold and is water cooled through a cover instead of air cooled fins.
A 4star regulator is mounted to the exhaust manifold and it is air cooled with fins

rsg1963

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Why are you not using the dvsr?
It is what makes the connection to charge the house battery when the voltage goes up, from the engines running.
It set up correctly its simple. Have used the BEP dsvr on many other boats with no issues ever.
The dsvr gets the charge voltage from your regulator/rectifier and sends it to the batteries.
The stators have i think aproximatly 60 volts at 3000rpms when measured between two of the three yellow legs. It then gets knocked down to 14ish volts by the regulator then to the batteries. If you find the hot wire from the regulator, trace it the batteries

Just looked in the manual, the stator wires are green, not yellow. And the red wire from the regulator is the charging wire
Thanks for the info, Neutron. Truth be told: I got a mod bug and started changing locations of my house bank to the other side. I did not research it first. Just wanted a simple setup without the parallel switch and I saw no need for the dvsr (little did I know it was absolutely necessary to charge the banks). That said, I figured finding the charge wire from the engines would be easy but that's not the case. So I will setup my dvsr again, bridge the two banks with a fat 2 ga. welding cable and see how that goes. I still do not see the charge wire anywhere in the BEP setup at all, so it must be part of the harness. I would love to see a diagram on the whole charge setup so I can understand it. Would be so helpful. Also, I do have the 4 star smog version.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks for the info, Neutron. Truth be told: I got a mod bug and started changing locations of my house bank to the other side. I did not research it first. Just wanted a simple setup without the parallel switch and I saw no need for the dvsr (little did I know it was absolutely necessary to charge the banks). That said, I figured finding the charge wire from the engines would be easy but that's not the case. So I will setup my dvsr again, bridge the two banks with a fat 2 ga. welding cable and see how that goes. I still do not see the charge wire anywhere in the BEP setup at all, so it must be part of the harness. I would love to see a diagram on the whole charge setup so I can understand it. Would be so helpful. Also, I do have the 4 star smog version.
The positive output of the rectifier/regulator feeds to the 3 pin plug on the left of the fuse box in the engine bay. Another wire comes out of the plug and goes to the starter relay where the battery wire is also connected. The start battery bank is the only one connected to the starter relay. The dvsr connects the start battery bank to the house bank when it receives +12vdc and the volatge is high enough on the start bank. Reinstalling the dvsr on the house bank and running a 8 awg wire off of where the start bank use to connect to either the start bank or the starter relay post where the start bank connects will correct the issue. I would also do the engine on only mod at this time.