• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How many speakers can you fit on an AR240

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@jcyamaharider What's the final word on the WS soundbar - as far the bow sound coverage?
Just curious, I think that redirected bar maybe the ultimate solution!
I am very interested in your findings. I do not like the idea of additional tower speakers turned to project forward, and the sound bar should be within the perfect range.
Would you venture to guess what would the minimum wattage be for that bar? Do you remember what was the factory set-up? - I know you said it was way under-powered, and you have it at 125W per channel?

--
Going to the lake right after work so maybe I can get you guys a sound clip once it is in the slip? I like the sound bar and it has good 360 degree coverage. I am very satisfied with it.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski any reason your not feeling a second set of towers?? just curious.
The ICON8s projecting forward would be an overkill for me. When amped right, they are so loud, I have them de-tuned on the WS420, otherwise I would go deaf. Also - I would hate to get bug splatter on those big cones... if they were turned to project forward (I think it would drive me crazy, LOL).

On the other hand, those new sound bars (I have a pair at home, forgot what brand) can deliver surprisingly good sound. Given @jcyamaharider experience, I think a properly powered WS sound bar would be perfectly suited to project the sound and fill the bow , yet appear to be sturdy enough to stand up to the wind (and bugs) even when turned to project forward. I would probably get a cover for the grill.

I also like the esthetics of a sound bar - tucked under the bimini in the middle of the tower - more than a bunch of extra tower speakers.

--

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I def see the pros of a soundbar but given my amp preference, M600/6 I'll only have 75w x 2 so need to figure out the best option that works off that power.

Any suggestions?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I def see the pros of a soundbar but given my amp preference, M600/6 I'll only have 75w x 2 so need to figure out the best option that works off that power.

Any suggestions?
That is one of the reasons I’m bugging @jcyamaharider about that: what’s the lowest you can go in the sound bar? He has it at 2x125W I believe, but I would be shocked if 2x75W is not enough, these sound bars cones are not that large. But IDK.
Hope some of the guys who know tuning will chime in.

Maybe even @David Analog ....? Then, and only then, we would know for sure!

virgil

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
hi has anyone tried the new polk UM650SRTL speakers. i had the a seadoo challenger and had the old mm651um speakers they sounded great they came out with new design UM650SRTL just wondering how they sound. i have 2012 ar240 and want to change speakers and add subwoofer im thinking 6 speakers and 10in or 12in sub . my boat came with 4 jl mx650 speakers soung good but think the polks are better

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Interested in opinions on how to add more speakers than the original 4 they put on the AR240's. Been reading up on the forms but want some additional input beyond what I've seen so far. (Maybe I missed a post or two) I've already add a pair in the main cabin low near the drive and passenger, like many on here. I upgraded from a 2011 242 Limited S and will be installing a pair on the transom as they come on the premium models. I decided to just modify the rear cushion and have it made exactly like the ones that comes stock with the speakers so it fits the JL 6.5s I have.

So that 4 plus the stock 4 for a total of 8 JL 6.5s, driven by a JL 800/8.....

But I want more, and in addition to the JL M880 towers (which will be part of stage 2), how many more 6.5s can we add to the boat in a tasteful manner.

I will then select an amp to power them and the 880s. depending on the final decision.
Put a wetsounds core 10 sound bar on it pointing forward and forget about it. That thing will blow you away when powered properly.

You will have sound from all directions then, up high and down low.
I don't know about blow you away but it's a very nice speaker. If you want real noise, you need to go REVS. Sound bars are kinda of a joke compared to REVS but then you talking about big money and getting big money amp to power it correctly. lol.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You could go (4) polk MM2s and put 125 watts to each speaker and that would blow the sound bar away. Just another thought. I love Wetsounds products and don't run anything on my tower that is not, but I'm just not really a believer in those sound bars. My friend has one and he knows when the big boys show up, it's not even worth having it on. On the 242's I feel they are way under power and under tune. But safer is better I suppose.

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
They are a tight fit - with the AR cushions, but it works very well. Just need to measure exactly, with the grill.
Here is the port side:
View attachment 64600

And strbd:
View attachment 64601

And the mid-cockpit (strbd side):
View attachment 64602

--
how much room is there behind your swim deck speakers? I want to buy the 6” fusion speakers and mount them in that location. Haven’t even had my boat on the water yet and having a fit to do this mod. I had the polks on the swim deck on my AR230 and loved them

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
how much room is there behind your swim deck speakers? I want to buy the 6” fusion speakers and mount them in that location. Haven’t even had my boat on the water yet and having a fit to do this mod. I had the polks on the swim deck on my AR230 and loved them
Space behind is not an issue, but need to be VERY careful with the radio remote wiring - go right behind and you do not want to cut it drilling the hole. I posted pics of that somewhere will try to repost tonight.

--

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Watch the video from @wallacerb he talks about those wires.

ThatJeepGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Space behind is not an issue, but need to be VERY careful with the radio remote wiring - go right behind and you do not want to cut it drilling the hole. I posted pics of that somewhere will try to repost tonight.

--
Be VERY careful! I cut my remote wire in 3 places while cutting that speaker hole. I was not happy as that cable is unique to Yamaha and not cheap