• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How many speakers can you fit on an AR240

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Interested in opinions on how to add more speakers than the original 4 they put on the AR240's. Been reading up on the forms but want some additional input beyond what I've seen so far. (Maybe I missed a post or two) I've already add a pair in the main cabin low near the drive and passenger, like many on here. I upgraded from a 2011 242 Limited S and will be installing a pair on the transom as they come on the premium models. I decided to just modify the rear cushion and have it made exactly like the ones that comes stock with the speakers so it fits the JL 6.5s I have.

So that 4 plus the stock 4 for a total of 8 JL 6.5s, driven by a JL 800/8.....

But I want more, and in addition to the JL M880 towers (which will be part of stage 2), how many more 6.5s can we add to the boat in a tasteful manner.

I will then select an amp to power them and the 880s. depending on the final decision.

Attachments

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Put a wetsounds core 10 sound bar on it pointing forward and forget about it. That thing will blow you away when powered properly.

You will have sound from all directions then, up high and down low.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Jaylex 10 6.5s is easy, after that you need to get a bit creative.
I like the soundbar idea, after @jcyamaharider (I think) figured out it needs more juice than the factory provided, makes a lot of sense. I have heard those before and been blown away with how good those actually sound.
@jcyamaharider do you cover the bar for travel, or turn it back around to reduce bug splatter on the grill (which I would imagine be impossible to clean) and such?

--

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
do you cover the bar for travel, or turn it back around to reduce bug splatter on the grill
I taped mine when I drove to FL and IL this year. Even if I turned it around I would have taped it as it would have been a bug magnet!

I've already add a pair in the main cabin low near the drive and passenger, like many on here.
I would put mine in the higher position closer to your ears.....so you could add another 2 there! LOL

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Jaylex 10 6.5s is easy, after that you need to get a bit creative.
I like the soundbar idea, after @jcyamaharider (I think) figured out it needs more juice than the factory provided, makes a lot of sense. I have heard those before and been blown away with how good those actually sound.
@jcyamaharider do you cover the bar for travel, or turn it back around to reduce bug splatter on the grill (which I would imagine be impossible to clean) and such?

--
No I don't turn back around, just clean the grill and this winter I will take the grill off and wipe the speakers.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I installed six additional 6.5" cockpit speakers, for 10 total - the sound is unbelievably good and well balanced.
Here is mid-ship strdb side:

Port:

And swim deck:

--

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So where did you put the other 2 in the cockpit????
Oops! I included the bow in my "cockpit". My bad.
So... I guess I'm down to eight (8) speakers in the cockpit... Thanks, Julian, for bursting my bubble.

--

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I installed six additional 6.5" cockpit speakers, for 10 total - the sound is unbelievably good and well balanced.
Here is mid-ship strdb side:

Port:

And swim deck:

--

Nice. . . . . I was wondering where I was going to install the mid cabin speakers from @jcyamaharider . . . . .

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Any more overall pictures of the swimdeck speakers?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Any more overall pictures of the swimdeck speakers?
They are a tight fit - with the AR cushions, but it works very well. Just need to measure exactly, with the grill.
Here is the port side:
upload_2017-9-27_15-45-54.png

And strbd:
upload_2017-9-27_15-46-13.png

And the mid-cockpit (strbd side):
upload_2017-9-27_15-46-51.png

--

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Theres a lot going on in that driver seat @swatski

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski so you have a total of 10 6.5s, what are you powering them with?

I was thinking of adding 2 more in the main cockpit up high as a few others have done....will it make that much of a difference vs where the other two are? That would give me a total of 10.

Then add the JL M880 towers speakers and will strongly consider adding a soundbar facing fwd, dont wanna leave out the area up front.

On the soundbar how does it sound vs the JL 6.5s, is it musical or just loud and ear piercing?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski so you have a total of 10 6.5s, what are you powering them with?

I was thinking of adding 2 more in the main cockpit up high as a few others have done....will it make that much of a difference vs where the other two are? That would give me a total of 10.
I considered various options - at the end went with two micro Clarion XC1410s driving all 10 cabin 6.5s (2 pairs on one amp at 4 ohms, and 1 pair at 4ohms plus 2 pairs at 2ohms on the other) - it turned out to be pretty close to the ideal configuration for me! I got a lot of advice here, how to set those up.
I like the DB651s for their price, musicality, and energy efficiency, and I did not want to install more than 2 batteries and already have a lot of other power-hog gadgets including ballast system w/4 reversible pumps, trim tabs, etc. plus a powered sub - Basslink in the helm comp.

Now, I also added tower WS ICON8s (powered by a WS HT-2) and routed everything through the WS420. The JL880 are better choice I believe, I got the ICONs only because my wife liked the looks (somewhat) and didn't care for JL880. (I've learned that often times it's best to take what I can get... even if it is not ideal to my liking...). The ICONs are (predictably) very bright. The WS420 helps to tune/mellow them down a bit, but these are still pretty shrill.
In the 6.5 class I would think the JL650s must be the best but I do like the DBs' for their softness, a lot. And the whole system is very loud if I start cranking it up.

Anyway, many of my crazy friends love the ICONs and play them loud when they are on the boat, along with TalkBack mic, LOL. But I think what you are doing is probably one of the best and most functional systems I have seen here, so I'm watching your progress.

And thanks for sharing!

--

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You can squeeze JL 7.7's on the swim deck. But the title of this thread shouldn't be how many speakers can you put in ar240, but how many speakers can you afford to put in an AR 240. You're pretty much limited by your checkbook and your imagination. Here is a pic of my 7.7's in the rear and some other Googled pictures a ridiculous amount of speakers.
20170128_120752.jpg 20170428_111528.jpg Bullets.jpg image.png

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Theres a lot going on in that driver seat @swatski
I guess you are right...
Kind of embarrassing but I must admit it would be very difficult for me to dispense with any of those gadgets actually.

Well, if I had the E-throttles - I would not need the RideSteady. Although I do love that thing - use it all the time (except when docking), basically - push the throttles far up (so that I don't need to adjust them) and use the knob to adjust RPM (and speed) - it works similar to a "single throttle mode" in synch.

I guess I could get rid of the clunky stationary VHF (and use a hand-held) but every time I look for the hand-held unit it is not there (and then... of course it is not charged! So I got tired of it).

BTW - all these add-ons did very well in Bimini, no issues with rattling off or corrosion.
upload_2017-9-27_20-29-32.png

--

Last edited:

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski What type of batteries are you running? What's your average voltage running your system with the engine off and how much time are you getting on your system when just chilling and listening to music?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski What type of batteries are you running? What's your average voltage running your system with the engine off and how much time are you getting on your system when just chilling and listening to music?
I have two interstate 24M-something Marine/RV - one cranking and one dual purpose (deep cycle). I needed to rearrange/rebuild the battery compartment completely to accommodate integrated ballast.
upload_2017-9-27_22-3-15.png
upload_2017-9-27_22-3-59.png
upload_2017-9-27_22-4-19.png
upload_2017-9-27_22-7-39.png

I have an onboard 2-bank ProMariner smart charger so the batteries are always charged and/or "exercised". I have been out and about on the water with the engines off for 5-6 hours listening to music and it never drops below some 12.1 V or so (if I remember correctly). I have the Connext voltage reader mod done, so the voltages are read accurately.

But more importantly, I can fill and empty 2,400lbs of integrated ballast plus extra bags running 4 reversible johnson pumps (which pull some serious amps, like 20Amp each or so) with the engines off and I have not seen voltage drop below 12V. But the system is new, so down the road I may need to be careful - and I normally fill and empty the ballast w/engines idling.

So, I have a surprisingly robust system, but part of the equation is that it is new and continually maintained on a smart charger (plugged in when at the dock or in my driveway).

--

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nice work separating the batteries in their own compartment! Looks good. I also have 2 interstate batteries that came with the 17' and a duel bank promariner prosport hooked up to them. This will be the first weekend really testing out the new system on the water since the hurricane hit. Your post with all your gadgets, ballast and speakers just reassured me that my batteries will hold up well. Now if I can slip outta work early on Friday ill install the new cobra AK's and fangs.