• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How much did you pay for the 50 hours service?

Ajohn5555

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I don't have much of a choice where I get my boat serviced in Northern California. They are quoting me $650 plus parts for the scheduled 50 hour service.

How much did you pay??

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I wasn't aware there was a 50 hour service. What do they do and what parts are provided for it?

Magic

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
:wideyed: really? wow..... just sayin you could probably get the job done for a quarter of that..... with help from the forum(s)

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I do all my own service. Nothing is challenging about the maintenance requirements.

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
50 hour service?

wardial

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Ajohn... I stroooooongly recommend you take you boat to the Ski Clinic in Antioch for service. It's a Jetski / Jet Boat shop... just jet powered crafts. Family owned and do amazing work.

http://www.theskiclinic.com/

Other members here in the area will attest to this as well!

Skip the dealer for SURE. With that said, I can't remember how much my last regular service with them was. ;)

motorboater

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
$650?? Thats robbery. Its just an oil change and lubing a couple parts. Do it yourself for under $250 even if you have to buy all the tools first. A fair price for a dealer should not exceed $200 in my opinion. I paid just under $300 for the 10 hour service and havent been back.

Take a look for yourself. I included all the pages for the 50 hour items on this schedule.

Attachments

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think they charged me $450 for my 10 hour service. It was at that point I resolved that I would do it myself. I think the oil extractor was like $60. Bought an extra grease gun for the boat at about $20. Filters are $5 or $10 each. Plugs were equally cheap. Good marine grease at about $10.

Just did my first own service. Went off without a hitch. Very easy. Even the part I was worried about (lube of the bearings) was easy. Just go slowly so you don't overfill. You will feel the resistance in the handle of the gun (other posts talk about looking for flex of the tube).

Plus I HAD to take it out on the water to do it right. And that meant I had to take a spin around the lake...

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I don't have much of a choice where I get my boat serviced in Northern California. They are quoting me $650 plus parts for the scheduled 50 hour service.

How much did you pay??
Ajohn, I just reviewed the maintenance schedule provided by motorboater, it doesn't look like there is much more to the service than changing the oil/filter, greasing the main bearing, checking and lubing various parts and possibly replacing the spark plugs.

Changing the oil in both engines shouldn't take more than an hour and most of that time is spent waiting for the oil to be extracted. Greasing, lubing and checking shouldn't take more than 30 minutes, probably less. I replaced my spark plugs the first year I had my boat in less than an hour.

My guess is that this is a 2 to 3 hour job and the cost of materials is around $90'for two gallons of oil and two yamaha oil filters (the latter being $25 each b/c they are yamaha and have a fleece element), spark plugs are another $100 ($12 each for iridiums, possibly 1/2 that for non-iridiums which is what Yamaha provides). If you don't already have the tools and plan to do future maintenance yourself a basic grease gun costs less than $20 and an oil extractor goes for $60 (manual) to $150 (electric) add another $25 for misc. items. In summary labor is $200 to $300 ($100 per hour) and parts should only be another $200 max. So $500 total assuming they replace the plugs with more expensive iridiums which to me means the premium they are charging is about $150. If the are not replacing the plugs they are charging twice as much as they should be.

If you want to bring it in because you have more money than time, I get that but recommend that you take it to the ski clinic in Antioch as Wardial mentioned. You can call them for an estimate first (ask to speak with Tania or Darryl, the owners if possible, Tania usually works the phones) they should be able to give you a quick breakdown of the cost for each service as well as how many days they will need it or the best day to bring it in for a quick turn around. It may actually be closer to your home than Tracy as well.

Alternatively, if you want to do it yourself but are reluctant to without help (at least the first time) call or text me and we can schedule some time to do so, preferably on a Sunday with a start time before 3 (this gives us 3 plus hours of daylight). I have a grease gun and oil extractor so you would only need to get the oil and filters (and plugs if they weren't replaced already and you think you need them, the manual says check them not replace them but once i remove one my practice is to replace it and if I do one I do them all, now that I don't fog the engines I only plan to replace them once every two years). With only 50 hours on the engines I wouldn't even check them, if it were my boat, and it was running well the last time I used it.

Last edited:

mattmila

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
upload_2014-4-3_3-6-41.png ...How much grease do I pump in with a small grease gun? Any special kind of grease?

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ajohn, I just reviewed the maintenance schedule provided by motorboater, it doesn't look like there is much more to the service than changing the oil/filter, greasing the main bearing, checking and lubing various parts and possibly replacing the spark plugs.

Changing the oil in both engines shouldn't take more than an hour and most of that time is spent waiting for the oil to be extracted. Greasing, lubing and checking shouldn't take more than 30 minutes, probably less. I replaced my spark plugs the first year I had my boat in less than an hour.

My guess is that this is a 2 to 3 hour job and the cost of materials is around $90'for two gallons of oil and two yamaha oil filters (the latter being $25 each b/c they are yamaha and have a fleece element), spark plugs are another $100 ($12 each for iridiums, possibly 1/2 that for non-iridiums which is what Yamaha provides). If you don't already have the tools and plan to do future maintenance yourself a basic grease gun costs less than $20 and an oil extractor goes for $60 (manual) to $150 (electric) add another $25 for misc. items. In summary labor is $200 to $300 ($100 per hour) and parts should only be another $200 max. So $500 total assuming they replace the plugs with more expensive iridiums which to me means the premium they are charging is about $150. If the are not replacing the plugs they are charging twice as much as they should be.

If you want to bring it in because you have more money than time, I get that but recommend that you take it to the ski clinic in Antioch as Wardial mentioned. You can call them for an estimate first (ask to speak with Tania or Darryl, the owners if possible, Tania usually works the phones) they should be able to give you a quick breakdown of the cost for each service as well as how many days they will need it or the best day to bring it in for a quick turn around. It may actually be closer to your home than Tracy as well.

Alternatively, if you want to do it yourself but are reluctant to without help (at least the first time) call or text me and we can schedule some time to do so, preferably on a Sunday with a start time before 3 (this gives us 3 plus hours of daylight). I have a grease gun and oil extractor so you would only need to get the oil and filters (and plugs if they weren't replaced already and you think you need them, the manual says check them not replace them but once i remove one my practice is to replace it and if I do one I do them all, now that I don't fog the engines I only plan to replace them once every two years). With only 50 hours on the engines I wouldn't even check them, if it were my boat, and it was running well the last time I used it.
All true but I don't to this all at once. I change the oil every 25 engine hours. Grease the bearings a couple of times a year, and change the spark plugs only when they need to be changed. So I'm never spending more than about an hour at a time servicing the boat. Heck I can spend way more time cleaning than doing maintenance. These boats are easy. When I begin extracting oil I do some boat cleaning, or I go mow the lawn. I have two extractors so can do both engines at the same time. The bigger job is taking the oil in to the recycle center.

I can find iridium plugs for around $7.50. Oil & Filters $65 total. Compared to gas, insurance, and other costs maintenance is one of the cheaper things I have to do to the boat.

One more maintenance step almost every time I take the boat out is to spray some CRC 6-56 on the pumps.

I've had the boat almost 5 years (in August) and it's never been in the shop yet.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My SX230 hit 50 hours early last summer. She had 30 when I bought her a few weeks earlier. I changed the spark plugs and checked the air filters. The oil was fresh but I will change it the first time she is in the water this year. So my I spent perhaps $25 on the 50 hour service.

Magic

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
View attachment 3465 ...How much grease do I pump in with a small grease gun? Any special kind of grease?
You pump the grease in until the hose is firm, but not hard... Its very important you do not "overpress" the hose because it will cause the bearing seals to fail and thats not good at all!

I use "marine grease" that I got at the dealer...Not really sure what kind as one tube lasts forever, it just takes a pump or two 2x a year......

motorboater

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not sure the 2013 and newer boats have that hose anymore. Thought I heard they did not.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I don't think hey do either, I recall on ajohns '13 242 ls that the zerk fittings are mounted directly to the bearing housing.

Last edited:

HawkTX

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I paid around $500 all in (including tip) for my 10 hour service at Phil Dill Boats.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My 2012 has the Zerk right on the housing of the bearing. So you have to look at the gun hose or (as I found out) feel the resistance.

I use some fancy purple marine grease that is in the gun and will probably last forever...

Ajohn5555

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
$650?? Thats robbery. Its just an oil change and lubing a couple parts. Do it yourself for under $250 even if you have to buy all the tools first. A fair price for a dealer should not exceed $200 in my opinion. I paid just under $300 for the 10 hour service and havent been back.

Take a look for yourself. I included all the pages for the 50 hour items on this schedule.
Great thanks. I need to learn to do the service myself. I have a friend Ronnie on this site that has a lot more experience than I do who is willing to give me a hand. Thanks for the attachment.

Ajohn5555

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Ajohn... I stroooooongly recommend you take you boat to the Ski Clinic in Antioch for service. It's a Jetski / Jet Boat shop... just jet powered crafts. Family owned and do amazing work.

http://www.theskiclinic.com/

Other members here in the area will attest to this as well!

Skip the dealer for SURE. With that said, I can't remember how much my last regular service with them was. ;)
I will give them a call and see what they say. Thanks for the leed

Ajohn5555

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
R

Ronnie

Thanks you. You are always so generous with your time. Let me look at my schedule and let's plan ahead. I will reach out to you shortly. I need them to take a look at the stereo as it pops when you turn up the volume high. I believe lots of people who have my boat have the same issue.

Have a great week

Alan