• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

How much does it cost to re-gelcoat the entire exterior?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Or the area above the waterline?

Our boat does not need it but we are considering some winter upgrades possibly including a color change. I know some have painted their hulls instead of gelcoating. I assume that may have been due to cost and or availability. Also how much weight would I add by doing so?

@Glassman and @andy07sx230ho I believe you may have the answers.

Paint. There are plenty of top quality marine paints. If you are daring enough, google rolling and tipping. It is a DIY technique to apply paint and get a smooth finish. I have seen results and they can be very good, if you dare... or have a pro repaint for you.

I second the painting. Shoot it with DuPont's Imron.

How well does paint hold up compared to gelcoat?

@Bruce I'm out of town right now, on Monday I will post the info about when I had my boat repainted.

I would paint it. Imron is great, since you are just doing the top sides and these boats really don't take that much abuse up top, Awlgrip is another product to consider. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the name brand two part linear polyurethane paints.
The prep is the hardest part of this job. Now's the time to go around and tag all the little nicks and scratches to fill and sand before painting.:cool:

What about a wrap?

@Bruce asking about how well paint holds up, I know you recall Formula boats at Bimini 2014... those boats are painted with Imron. Lots of high end boats are painted. Should be no issues with wear.

You are correct about Imron... It lasts as long as you prep properly. The wrap idea is most economical though.

@Bruce My boat was painted with AwlCraft color Claret and cost me $1840 = $1440 for labor for prep/painting + $400 for materials (some of the material cost was to fix a couple of damaged spots). The labor part of the damage repair was separate from the $1440.

I had my boat painted in the spring of 2013 and so far it still looks brand new.

Before
DSCF0493.jpg

After
Transformation 3.JPG

Paint is the way to go. My dad used to do that for a living, on large boats in the water jobs he would roll and brush, everything else he sprayed. I will ask him what brand paint he used, I know it was different for the method he applied it. Only use gel to repair, trying to re-gel an entire boat is not the way to do a color change like that, paint is your friend in this arena and if done properly you will have many years of service out of it. The paint my dad preferred was Sterling. He said it is the only brand actually designed with the proper thinners for roll and brush that would flow out flawless. It was not cheap paint.

Last edited:
I'd love to turn my space blue into sonic blue or maybe surf green

Back