• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How much water is too much?

Michael_774

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 2018 AR210 with roughly 12 hours on it. I keep it in a wet slip with a premium mooring cover on when not in use. Within two days I had roughly 8 inches of water in the storage locker and about the same in the engine bay

I keep my main power switch in the off position when the boat is at the dock. Is this normal?

Attachments

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Did it get rained on? Drain plugs in or out? I've had full-to-the-hatch storage lockers after periods of heavy rain, and some water in the engine compartment..my cover is obviously not waterPROOF. I keep my drain plugs in at all times when its in the slip and when it gets rained on heavy, my lockers fill up. I pull the plugs and let the water drain into the bilge, get the boat moving without getting on plane and let it pump out. We had a week of heavy rain last season and I was surprised at the amount of water in the lockers and bilge when I returned to the boat! As soon as I stepped on the stern to get the cover off the pump started running!

Michael_774

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the reply. That made me feel better. Cover was on. We had roughly two inches of rain. And the drain plugs were open

rkgdmd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If your boat is in the water don't EVER shut the power to the bilge pump. I can't believe your mooring cover leaks that badly....mine is pretty waterproof on my 242....maybe not 100%....but still pretty good.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I don’t know about his 2018, but in mine the bilge pump is wired directly to the battery. Even turning the mains off it’s still powered.

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Oddly enough, I got on my boat today (in a wet slip) and there was a fair amount of water in the engine compartment. I turn off both batteries while it sits, specifically because the 2018's are supposed to be OK this way. The bilge is supposed to turn on periodically and if it senses water, it will continue to run. I actually received an addendum to the owners manual a couple months ago that corrected the mistake in the original manual. You are supposed to be able to turn off the batteries.

Obviously, this was not the case in my boat. It pumped out for at least a minute. (Note, I do have a 2nd bilge pump and switch connected to the battery). Going to have to do some messing around next time I have it home....

I keep my storage locker and all other drains open, precisely so certain compartments don't fill up while I'm not on it.

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have a 2018 AR210 with roughly 12 hours on it. I keep it in a wet slip with a premium mooring cover on when not in use. Within two days I had roughly 8 inches of water in the storage locker and about the same in the engine bay

I keep my main power switch in the off position when the boat is at the dock. Is this normal?
Oh, if you're in a wet slip, you should definitely have a 2nd bilge pump! You may already, but figured I'd mention it. I just installed one in my 242 a couple months ago before it went into the slip.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok guys...Pretty simple. Anytime you're in the water, bilge pump on. ALL THE TIME. Worst case scenario you have a dead battery. With the bilge pump off your worst case is your boat sinks or is damaged. Which case do you think is easier/cheaper to resolve?

PS. Carry a jump box. Quick and easy resolution to the dead battery scenario.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I'm a little bit surprised at the discrepancies between models on the new boats. The 21’ hulls are all the same, you’d think the wiring would be the same as well.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
My cover leaks too but I have found that by tightening the straps that are attached to the poles, that helps significantly. Maybe give that a try.(?)

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Generally a tighter cover causes rain to roll off quicker. If rain is allowed to pool, even in small pockets, it can seep through covers that are over a couple of years old as the water repellant has degraded from sun exposure.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Yeah. We where having this discussion in Facebook. Seems like it varies a lot if battery needs to be on or not

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have never had water in the engine compartment(even when I had a hole in the bottom of my boat), are you sure your bilge is operating properly?

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Generally a tighter cover causes rain to roll off quicker. If rain is allowed to pool, even in small pockets, it can seep through covers that are over a couple of years old as the water repellant has degraded from sun exposure.
Just to clarify what I was saying regarding tightening the straps. I don't think tightening the straps attached to the poles will make the cover tighter, but it will help support the the cover to alleviate some pooling. I think raising the height of the poles will make the cover tighter but mine are maxed out. I suppose I (and Michael _774) could put something under them though.

jEt_jAk

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I don’t know about his 2018, but in mine the bilge pump is wired directly to the battery. Even turning the mains off it’s still powered.
This is true for 2018 and newer. All turning on does is just force it to run.

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
This is true for 2018 and newer. All turning on does is just force it to run.
Yep, doesn’t explain how I had a ton of water in mine though.... I turned on both batteries and bam, pump started pumping out water. I never officially tested this at home though. When I installed my second bilge I only tested the float switch and all.

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just wire a float switch to your existing pump. Float switch is a must if your wet slipping. The "constantly checking for water" type pump is a battery killer. Also, don't forget, the stern is not the lowest part of our boats when they're in the water, so your pump won't operate until there is A LOT of water in the bilge. My cover is older and a little stretched. Can try putting a small block of wood under the support poles to lift them, but they'll only raise as high as the cover/straps will allow. Any rain that gets through the cover will go to the center of the boat which in most cases is just forward of the middle. This is why my floor lockers fill instead of the rain flowing out the scupper drain. Any rain that flows into the bilge isn't gonna pump out until you try to get on plane and the bow rises.

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I simply swapped out the automatic pump with a manual model (higher GPM) that fit in the same screen and added an electronic float switch. About an $80 investment. Switch stays off, no draw, and can still be turned on manually. Never liked the idea of that automatic pump that cycled all the time.

Tango6455

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have a 18 212x and every time I take it out for the day when I pull drain plug it drains for just over two minutes of straight water pouring out is this normal??

Whiskey

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was wondering the same thing. We have a crap ton of water. Over a gallon come out after a day on the lake. I keep the bilge on, so I don't think it's in the bilge.