• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How NOT to get your AR190/195 out of a garage......

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
o, I'm posting this in hopes that someone somewhere will learn from my mistake and , well, NOT do this.

If you can get your AR190/195 into a garage with a 7' door, and THEN raise the tower inside the garage for cleaning, or whatever......PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE mark the hitch area with something that reminds you to take it down BEFORE you pull out of the garage!!!

This could have been MUCH MUCH worse for me. I was in a hurry to get the boat out of the garage at lunchtime. Got distracted by a neighbor, then the dog, and was clearly off my "checklist" game. Hitched up the boat to the truck, and proceeded to pull out of the garage. Luckily I was going slow, and appear to have only damaged the top panel of the garage door. I can't even find a scratch on the tower of the boat, and no noticeable damage to the mounting locations on the tower. Like I said it could have been MUCH MUCH worse!

Here's the damage :(

Notice the tower is still up in the this picture.
GarageDoorUp.JPG

The door still opens and closes, but you can see here it clearly isn't going to keep any rain out. Hopefully just that top panel on the door is all that is damaged.
GarageDoorClosed.JPG

Moral of the story here......Don't be in a rush, and use a checklist to make sure you have all your ducks in a row before moving even a little bit!

*edit*...uploaded the pics to this site instead of Photobucket......No other changes.

Last edited:

ruztew

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I tried to pull my SX190 out of the garage with the engine hatch cover open... put a big gash in the cover and ruined the garage door opener... oh yea, it was on my birthday as I was excitedly pulling the boat out

Hannibal

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
We're several notches down on the totem pole so picture a carport on a small house lol! I'm backing the FSH Sport under the carport and the T-top actually goes over the roof up until the uprights are a couple or three inches from the flashing. So my lovely bride is back there watching for me with hands as wide apart as she can get them. To me this indicates I still have around 5' 7" to go. I felt a stop like I'd backed into a tire stop as she claps her hands together indicating it's time to stop. No real damage but she doesn't help me back the boat or travel trailer in anymore. So easy to get distracted or get misleading signals. Glad your damage was minimal.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@2kwik4u , why do you bother to put the tower back up when the boat is in the garage?

I wish I could fit my boat in the garage.

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
hehehe happens to everyone at least once. we HOPE ONCE.

i was working on my lower unit once...changing water pump. decided i needed more room behind. pushed full force forward, trailer rolls... and rolls...oops. garage door still down. tongue went nearly through it. :)

spring was coming and I wanted to be ready dangit!

Dough

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Done it. Sad part, with both of my boats, twice with the pontoon. Rubber mallet on the back side of the door and there is a good chance it will pop back. Shit happens.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@2kwik4u , why do you bother to put the tower back up when the boat is in the garage?

I wish I could fit my boat in the garage.
The tower goes back up when I'm cleaning,organizing, modifying, or just sitting in the new boat. Plenty of space in the garage with it up, just so long as you don't try to move it out with the tower up.

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I recently was backing my boat into my garage and forgot to put down the bimini top. it bent the shit out or if, but I was able to get it back together and it's still usable thankfully. I will need to replace some of it at some point.

Zeus2013

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think we have all done something along those lines. Silly humans..

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My house is missing a downspout due to leaving the tower up... besides a couple of scuffs on the top corner of the tower no damage done.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I always put my tower up in the garage so my tower speakers don't rest on my rear seats. I almost pulled out once with the tower up and caught it at the last sec. I move the boat by hand with a Trailer Valet

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just got back from the lake a little while ago, backed my boat into the driveway like I always do when I bring it home. When I walked back and forth from the truck to the house unloading stuff I noticed there was a scratch in the sidewalk I hadn't noticed before, but didn't think much of it. Next trip back I noticed the bottom of my brand new JBN spare tire cover that I just put on this morning had a hole scuffed into the bottom of it, I guess I should have checked to see if my sore tire mount and tire would clear the sidewalk going into my driveway.

My driveway slopes toward the house from the street and the sidewalk is raised, but I didn't think it was that close to scraping the trailer

xedelatorre

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What's the minimum garage door clearance needed for an ar192 (tower collapsed)?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Quick circle back on this thread to update the status.

I was able to "beat" the door back into a 99% correct shape. It's good enough the wife cna no longer find the damage, and I can't see light through it anymore when closed.

Still consider myself very fortunate that it wasn't worse than it is!