• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How (or should I) Do I Care for my Mooring Cover?

meegwell

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have the Yamaha black mooring cover that only gets used in the off season. Ia there anything I can put on it to condition/treat it so it lasts longer?

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’ve heard of people spraying the 303 UV protectant on them, other than that no idea!

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
For what it's worth. 4th season with mine. Or is it 3d. Lost count. It seeps. When I wash it water seeps and drips inside and dirties up the cushions. I have the gray cover.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have the Yamaha black mooring cover that only gets used in the off season. Ia there anything I can put on it to condition/treat it so it lasts longer?
Commercial sewing says to wash with a few drops of deft laundry detergent or dawn dish soap ( the old school blue kind not the fancy stuff), rinse well, and protect with 303 fabric guard. I'm getting ready to do that with my cover tomorrow. Although I'll probably use my car shampoo as it's ph balanced with no waxes or anything like that. Then I bought a gallon of 303 fabric guard which I'll apply while it's wet/damp and let it dry in the sun for an hour or so.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
303 is my Windex. I throw it on everything (except glass).... Shoot. Should've done it with the cover.

Zizzou 192

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Note that 303 AP is not safe for fabric. It will eat through it. Use 303 fabric or 303 fabric convertible top protectant. On year 8 with the black Yamaha mooring cover on continuously in the slip from May-October using those products yearly.

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Do you apply the 303 to the inside or outside of the cover? I recall reading before that some treatments should be on the inside and not the outside.
Note that 303 AP is not safe for fabric. It will eat through it. Use 303 fabric or 303 fabric convertible top protectant. On year 8 with the black Yamaha mooring cover on continuously in the slip from May-October using those products yearly.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
303 Fabric Guard is recommended by Sunbrella as yearly treatment to restore water resistance (ours are made by Surlast which is essentially the same product). The fabric should be CLEAN AND DRY before application so it can bond to the fabric. It is applied to the outer surface. Read the directions on the bottle for more details.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
303 Fabric Guard is recommended by Sunbrella as yearly treatment to restore water resistance (ours are made by Surlast which is essentially the same product). The fabric should be CLEAN AND DRY before application so it can bond to the fabric. It is applied to the outer surface. Read the directions on the bottle for more details.
Yup! Use this stuff. Took about a half gallon to treat my cover.

RNYCLV

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you guys for the information on this .... I have been curious myself on how to best reseal or protect the cover

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Read the label on the cover. Mine says not to add type of protectant or water proofing. I can attest that I have done this once and it hastened the demise of the cover.

crazy4life

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Read the label on the cover. Mine says not to add type of protectant or water proofing. I can attest that I have done this once and it hastened the demise of the cover.
^^^^What he said^^^^^
Sprayed my cover after 3 years of use and within 3 months it ripped and at the end of the season on the way home it ripped itself to pieces. Got a new one this year and nothing going on it this time. Just my experience. This is the grey mooring cover.

RNYCLV

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
^^^^What he said^^^^^
Sprayed my cover after 3 years of use and within 3 months it ripped and at the end of the season on the way home it ripped itself to pieces. Got a new one this year and nothing going on it this time. Just my experience. This is the grey mooring cover.
Thank you both.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
^^^^What he said^^^^^
It's weird how different the Gray and black covers are. However, I'd be hard pressed to believe 303 Fabric guard had anything to do with the covers demise. I've used that stuff on everything from super expensive convertible tops, to biminis and covers of all types and brands. Never an issue. The few that have had issues likely had other underlying issues that weren't noticeable. Even more so for the ones who had nearly new covers. Guessing some kind of manufacture defect in that case.

crazy4life

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It's weird how different the Gray and black covers are. However, I'd be hard pressed to believe 303 Fabric guard had anything to do with the covers demise. I've used that stuff on everything from super expensive convertible tops, to biminis and covers of all types and brands. Never an issue. The few that have had issues likely had other underlying issues that weren't noticeable. Even more so for the ones who had nearly new covers. Guessing some kind of manufacture defect in that case.
Label says do not use anything on cover, so I won’t use anything on cover. Anyone can certainly use whatever they want on their cover. 😎

Interesting thread from 2017 on the same subject. As a matter of fact I may have used the star brite product if my memory serves me right.

Last edited:

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Believe what you will, but I've had 4 covers going on 16th season so I do know a little something about something. Also I'm not sure why a manufacturer would put something on the label in an arbitrary fashion.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Label says do not use anything on cover, so I won’t use anything on cover. Anyone can certainly use whatever they want on their cover. 😎

Interesting thread from 2017 on the same subject. As a matter of fact I may have used the star brite product if my memory serves me right.

Are the gray ones not made out of SurLast? SurLast even specifically calls out the usage of 303 Fabric Guard, same with Sunbrella. That's what I recall from my "users manual" when I got my cover. Wish I had kept it now as it would settle all kinds of debates as it recommended towing with the poles in too. 😂

Attachments

crazy4life

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Are the gray ones not made out of SurLast? SurLast even specifically calls out the usage of 303 Fabric Guard, same with Sunbrella. That's what I recall from my "users manual" when I got my cover. Wish I had kept it now as it would settle all kinds of debates as it recommended towing with the poles in too. 😂
Interesting tidbit from other post. Don't know if this is still true. Not looking to debate, you can put ketchup on your cover and I could not care less.

That's interesting. There have been reports on here of 303 materials degrading covers also, but it was discovered that there are two types of 303 Fabric Guard. One that is compatible with canvas and one that is not.

Edit: Attached are the Cleaning and Care and Warranty information from Surlast.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Interesting tidbit from other post. Don't know if this is still true. Not looking to debate, you can put ketchup on your cover and I could not care less.
Yeah that post has the instructions of care from SurLast which says to use 303 Fabric guard, which for ease of use I posted here too.