• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How the heck does this happen?!

MillsyMO

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Boat Length
Tonight on the boat I lost neutral and reverse on the port side. I took it back to the ramp and loaded it on the trailer. Somehow this shift rod came undone. I have no idea how that would’ve came off but holy hell it was a b^*ch to get back on. It’s a spring loaded connector that goes on the ball. You need about 6 tiny little 5 year old hands to get it back together. Then when I got it back together it was upside down so it wouldn’t allow full throttle bc it was getting hung up on a bolt. Their has to be an easier way and how does that happen so I’m sure to never do that again? Lol

Attachments

• D3C3B0AE-49EB-4EB5-9468-57DD5977D110.jpeg
    D3C3B0AE-49EB-4EB5-9468-57DD5977D110.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 93
  • 56B68092-B764-418F-A3F4-9370622F3C21.jpeg
    56B68092-B764-418F-A3F4-9370622F3C21.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 93
If it was on correctly it should never come off. It probably was never on properly in the first place

I agree, probably half way engaged. Make sure good spring tension and it isnt hanging up or binding on itself and reinstall. Give it a firm tug up and down and make sure it stays put,

Last edited:
I have had them pop off because it wasn't locked completely. When they are on tug and wiggle hard to ensure its on right

I will definitely tug on it and make sure it’s seated properly now. It’s a brand new boat only 5 or so hours.

i carry a couple spare marine bungie cords.. Ive had the nozzle break completely off and Ive had steering cables break bugie the nozzle out of the way or bungie the center and steer with the throttles and remaining nozzle, Ive also had shifter cables break but the ball has never come off on its own

I was reading this and thought I bet he puts it on backward the first time because it fools you the way it site when it comes off. but be careful with it because upside down it will damage or bend the reverse cable . So now that you have it on correctly take a flat screwdriver and push the spring loaded cover all the way forward to be sure it is all the way on, if the spring is working it should stay put, if not you may need to replace the spring loaded coupler on the end of the cable. it just screws on and off .

Back