• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How to install temperature gauges and senders for engine temps

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Saw this on amazon. Has dual temp gauge so you can do what @Scottie has outlined for us above but with a single 2" gauge.
Also comes with 2 temp senders.

View attachment 102041

That's a GREAT find. I may have even gone with that if I had seen it. Wiring harnesses included, should be a very easy install. I could free up a hole for another gauge at some point. I wonder what else would be useful?

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Does not take long for t-stats to open on MR-1 engines. This can be confirmed by the extra exhaust cooling water port on the jet.
I think the higher rpm increases the exhaust gas pressure which forces the water out the indicators (pee holes). Acts as back pressure against the hose.

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@MidnightRider here's another interesting one. With this one, you could get temp and pressure for the same engine, in the same gauge. So you could install the pressure sensor in the cooling line before it reaches the engine. You'd always have an indicator of how strong your cooling water was flowing. Blockages of any kind would be easy to spot, and you'd probably catch them before the temps even increased. Like so many things, probably not necessary, but it will be hard for me not to! :)
Amazon.com: GlowShift 10 Color Digital Dual Temperature & Pressure Gauge Kit - for Boost, Oil Pressure, Water & Transmission Temp - Includes Electronic Sensors - 2 Multi-Color LED Displays - Tinted Lens - 52mm: Gateway

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think the higher rpm increases the exhaust gas pressure which forces the water out the indicators (pee holes). Acts as back pressure against the hose.
Totally makes sense.
Thank you.

--