• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How to interpret fuel level?

ScoobaDooba

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi all,

We purchased a Yamaha SX210 and have loved every minute of lake time that we've been able to squeeze in so far this summer. This forum has been a fantastic resource to learn more about the new boat. And so I ask the knowledgeable people here: how do I know exactly how much gas I should put in the boat? The fuel gauge will vary significantly depending on the pitch of the boat. Specifically, when the engine is off and the boat is floating flat in the water, it reads perhaps 20-30% lower than when traveling at speed and the boat is on plane. So when I go to fill the boat with gas, should I assume the lower number is the actual amount of fuel in the tank? I certainly don't want to overfill, but I also want to minimize the number of trips to the gas station.

dzeppos

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I reset the fuel data consumption each time we file. It then shows how much gas you used - and it’s very accurate. This is a feature on any boat with Connext This way we know how much fuel we burned.

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Hi all,

We purchased a Yamaha SX210 and have loved every minute of lake time that we've been able to squeeze in so far this summer. This forum has been a fantastic resource to learn more about the new boat. And so I ask the knowledgeable people here: how do I know exactly how much gas I should put in the boat? The fuel gauge will vary significantly depending on the pitch of the boat. Specifically, when the engine is off and the boat is floating flat in the water, it reads perhaps 20-30% lower than when traveling at speed and the boat is on plane. So when I go to fill the boat with gas, should I assume the lower number is the actual amount of fuel in the tank? I certainly don't want to overfill, but I also want to minimize the number of trips to the gas station.
Fill it until it automatically stops like a car, then you know it's full

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
As stated above, fuel it until the pump cuts off - it is full. Also with use, you will learn what the various levels mean. My 2017 FSH (no Connext) has 12 gallons left of the 32 total when the gauge shows 1/4 full (my gauge does not vary much floating versus running), and when the low fuel message appears I have 6 gallons remaining. I know these levels from experience (fueling till full after seeing the indication). I typically refuel at 1/4 full. However, I did recently wait until I got the low fuel message to see what it really means. We were tubing just outside the marina, and I easily could have made it back to the marina with the trolling motor if I had run out of fuel.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I’ll be honest this is one of the things that drives me crazy about Yamaha’s. I do understand that a boat with a float based level sender will vary a lot more vs a car, as the pitch changes much more dramatically. On my boat the sender is very offset towards the rear of the boat. I suspect this is the same for most of them, as this has been brought up in the past. I’ve tried filling up on the trailer at different angles (bow up, bow down, doesn’t seem to matter) and when I get out on the water at rest the highest my gauge will read is 86%. Once on plane it will go up slowly and eventually read 100%. It makes sense to do it this way on a boat, let’s say you fill up then head out for the day. You’d want the gauge accurate when moving, that way if you just start cruising until the gauge reads 55% then turn around you shouldn’t run out before you get back. On the other hand at anchor you have already run on plane and know what the level is. That’s also the time the gauge reads low so you’ll think you have less than you do, use it as a built in reserve.

ScoobaDooba

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the replies everyone. I've just been anxious about overfilling and spilling some fuel, but I guess it makes sense to fill it up until it stops like a car.