• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How to sub boat

Yeah... after signing on the dotted line for $50K of boat I do not think this will be a move I am willing to attempt any time soon... I didn't even attempt it with my AR192 when I sold it. Just not a wise thing to do in my eyes.

I've done sub moves in a 16' Sea Rayder. Just make sure you have your deck drain and scupper clear so the water can drain. Oh, do it in a clean lake, too. And after you get the water in boat - get the boat back up on plane or at least get the nose up, and keep it up while the water drains out the scupper valve. If you don't fill the boat up too deep (1ft?) - the engine compartment will stay quite dry. And the eternal question of drain plugs in or out (between ski compartment, or in the engine compartment) will of course be a factor - although you can argue either way to have them in or out :)

But @kthrash speaks from experience about taking a wave or 2 over the bow, and the sad goodbye you might say to your boat ...

So when it's time for me to sell my AR240, everyone please note it will have never been sub'd.
:winkingthumbsup"

I enjoy boating much more when the water is on the outside of the hull.

I do it on my jetskis often but never in the boat.

Sure you can....

But the risk of damage to the drive train is much higher!

Is that how Mastercrafts take on ballast?

Some pointers to consider (from the perspective of a 212X owner with MR-1 engines).

The 23 and 24 footers are difficult or impossible to sub. Their pointing nose does not allow it. Also, the 24 series boats have air cleaners mounted low so I wouldn't recommend sticking the nose under water.
Nearly all the water will be on the deck and go out the scupper.
You will get water in the engine bay. I have seen water to my oil filters but that was after multiple subs in a row.
Make sure you explain to all passengers what is going to happen. It is not a violent maneuver, certainly not like spinning the boat, but prudence would put out a warning.

Perhaps the most important thing to consider is water inside the engine bay may cover where the wires go into the stator. This is only a rubber gasket around the wires. This is the number one reason why I don't stick the nose under water anymore.

IMG_2891rev1.jpg IMG_2894.JPG

Seems like a "here hold my beer" moment.

Back