• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Hudson, NYC trip

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Putting in at liberty state park this Saturday and plan a run north from there on the Hudson up towards the Tappan Zee. I am not going to go on the East River since that is narrow and looks like I would have a lot less space to get out of the way from any bigger boats.

Anyone have any experiences on the Hudson and tips?

We will see Ellis island, the Statue of Liberty, some bridges, and i'll look for other landmarks. Send any ideas

seadude

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Amazing views, just be prepared for large waves from the boat traffic in NY harbor and lots of floating debris. On the Manhattan side there is the North Cove marina by the Freedom Tower and the Boat Basin Cafe further up river. Nice stops but they will charge just to touch their docks. The loop around Manhattan is doable, although Hell Gate and the East River can be choppy. You will need the Spitting Devil creek railroad bridge to open (I have their phone number). If you make it all the way to the Mario Cuomo bridge, the municipal dock at Nyack is an OK stop also. Be aware of the "security zones" marked by white buoys, the marine police are lurking and will stop and board you - need to give most landmarks and bridges lots of clearance.

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Review @0627Devildog 's. NYC thread . Great trip !
Speaking of which, we are going to do this trip again this year, probably mid-October if anyone is interested
Amazing views, just be prepared for large waves from the boat traffic in NY harbor and lots of floating debris. On the Manhattan side there is the North Cove marina by the Freedom Tower and the Boat Basin Cafe further up river. Nice stops but they will charge just to touch their docks. The loop around Manhattan is doable, although Hell Gate and the East River can be choppy. You will need the Spitting Devil creek railroad bridge to open (I have their phone number). If you make it all the way to the Mario Cuomo bridge, the municipal dock at Nyack is an OK stop also. Be aware of the "security zones" marked by white buoys, the marine police are lurking and will stop and board you - need to give most landmarks and bridges lots of clearance.
Agree, amazing views and big waves in the harbor. Harlem River and East River were no problem, except when I went the wrong way around Riker's Island!
I stopped for fuel at Liberty Park marina and not only had no trouble docking, but also the fuel prices were very reasonable, within 50 cents of highway prices.

seadude

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Liberty Park is a nice stop also, gas prices not so much ($4.50ish last I checked).
Definitely fill up before you put in, here is the "cheapest" gas in the area: Alpine Marina - Slip Rental NJ NYC

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you all for the tips and info. Plan is to depart out of Liberty Place tomorrow/Saturday. Tag if anyone will be out on the water

I might now try to do the loop and originally I was going to avoid the east river, hell's gate, etc. It doesn't seem complete without going there.

6 people in total on boat; 1 has not been on a boat and she isn't sure if she gets sea sick. Good to know

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So how was your trip?

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
76F20055-6C50-4EF0-B87A-4B94BC4B9294.jpegTrip was excellent! It was windy (12+ mph and then gusts) so there were some large waves in the east river. I think we saw 2-3 foot waves and they came at us from all directions as we were surrounded by fast Ferries, police boats (near the UN building), and other huge yachts. No problems though and we just slowed to 10-15 mph with some throttle games to time the waves. The new AR210 worked awesome. We did have to clear debris 3 times and I was glad to have 2 engines since the current on the river was 3-4 knots.

Dropped in at liberty place state park ramp. It was a decent ramp, $25 charge, but was not so great when we returned at low tide

We stopped at the surf side restaurant bar which is right near the Statue of Liberty and no charge for dock up unlike some of the other $30-$90 options.

See our route and a few pics

DBA6E126-253D-4FF7-9332-1584B57A59BE.jpeg
509256BC-0AAE-44EA-9041-3BA8452FAE36.jpeg71D0C46C-8EF9-4024-9E42-F4D7E43DD19D.jpeg4695B5B4-5D70-4229-B592-291447BED1D2.jpeg5CCDD44D-0DCA-45E9-BE8D-8C6C2CEBED3D.jpeg

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You will need the Spitting Devil creek railroad bridge to open (I have their phone number).
Can I get the number? We are making this run this coming Saturday (10/19)

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The bridge is being repaired and is already up/open. No need to call anyone for that bridge for access to the harlem river. Be aware it is no wake in many areas especially near the harlem boat club where they row.... don't ask me how I know.

seadude

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Nice trip - and I agree calm winds help a lot in the lower harbor. The high rise wind vortex effect seems to occur on the waters down there also!
If the RR bridge was opened already, you got lucky because it's definitely back in use. I couldn't raise them on VHF ch 13 but someone gave me a number which reached the bridge operator: 917-295-9161
Felt kind of bad about them opening that contraption just because the bimini tower of my 24' boat wouldn't clear it. I predict a not too distant future where they can refuse to open for small pleasure boats!

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If the RR bridge was opened already, you got lucky because it's definitely back in use. I couldn't raise them on VHF ch 13 but someone gave me a number which reached the bridge operator: 917-295-9161
Thank You.