• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

hull issues with 2016 190fsh

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Aawweee man. I just made popcorn and the discussion was shut down early.....

Tailwaters

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
All in all I think the quality of the Yamaha based on its price point is pretty good. Shy of going with a more custom lower production build boat you'll run into these issues from time to time. Unfortunate but a fact. I bought a little 2005 Glassmaster 18 bay boat back in 2015 and the thing only had 110 hours on it. It was like brand new with not so much as scratch on it. 2nd year of ownership I noticed I started getting strange cracks here and there on the top deck. One day I pressed in on one and it collapsed in. Turned out they were all air pockets that when the boat was laid up they failed to get matting and resin rolled up tight to the gel. I ended up grinding them out and filling with gel. Was a real pain. Could be worse you could have issue like this guy: https://www.thehulltruth.com/dockside-chat/916599-lemon-boat-florida-how-do-i-get-relief-major-tidewater-problems-2500-carolina-bay.html

GoVols01

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I’ve been around a bit and have talked to quite a few other boaters.

Attachments

fireflymedic

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
All in all I think the quality of the Yamaha based on its price point is pretty good. Shy of going with a more custom lower production build boat you'll run into these issues from time to time. Unfortunate but a fact. I bought a little 2005 Glassmaster 18 bay boat back in 2015 and the thing only had 110 hours on it. It was like brand new with not so much as scratch on it. 2nd year of ownership I noticed I started getting strange cracks here and there on the top deck. One day I pressed in on one and it collapsed in. Turned out they were all air pockets that when the boat was laid up they failed to get matting and resin rolled up tight to the gel. I ended up grinding them out and filling with gel. Was a real pain. Could be worse you could have issue like this guy: https://www.thehulltruth.com/dockside-chat/916599-lemon-boat-florida-how-do-i-get-relief-major-tidewater-problems-2500-carolina-bay.html
O man I hate you right now. I clicked on the link got sucked in some 26 pages and in the end no resolution. The boat owner just quits posting.

Tailwaters

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I’ve been around a bit and have talked to quite a few other boaters.
O man I hate you right now. I clicked on the link got sucked in some 26 pages and in the end no resolution. The boat owner just quits posting.
Did the same thing! Was an interesting read to start. Just goes to show anyone can end up with a piece of crap and any given time. That one however is pretty bad! Epic boats was also known for have lots of glass issues. The looked great , but that was it. Always do you research and hope and pray your not the guy that ends up with the bad one.

jaysen

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
sorry for the late response. so here goes... the keel seems to have been damaged because one of the center cubes on the jet dock got crushed in and part of it formed a jagged edge. I have realigned the cubes and it hasn't been much of an issue. when I spoke with Yamaha, they mentioned that the air pockets in the gel coat wasn't uncommon and after a bit of time arguing, they agreed to cover the cost. I don't want to waste more time so I will pay for the keel repair when the other parts are being worked on. the rear right trailer ring also shows a hairline crack on the hull. I was told this may be due to an internal air pocket and that will be covered as well. so, after the repairs are done I will be paying close attention to any other issues and hope this is the end of it. I will not be able to post pics for a little bit but once the boat is out of the water, in mid july, I will have better angles. I appreciate all the input posted on here. I am located in nyc and the fishing on this boat has been a game changer. my next boat will be a bit bigger, but I feel this has been a great learning experience.

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yamaha covered a couple hairline cracks at my tie downs. (Towpoints). I also had a void on one of my lifting strakes. All covered so go over that boat with a fine tooth comb and anything you find they should take care of. Check carefully where anything is screwed or bolted through. Yamaha doesn’t chamfer the holes and any stress from a snug bolt will cause a spider crack in the gelcoat radiating out from the hole.