• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Hum from LED Controller

DJMattyT

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
If your tied to the courtesy lights, it is not direct from the battery, as Yamaha loops their power and jumpers it from one system to another on a single home run, except for accessories. So using them as a power source could be your issue. I ran a power supply cable to a separate switch panel. Mine didn't hum, so I can only offer what I have said. I agree with @Bruce , you can't isolate the ground, but you can isolate the power supply. And you can also install a ground loop isolator, a cheap fix and might help. They are typically used to reduce engine noise in the sound system. But as stated, all grounds are essentially connected, so it might help.
Ahh gotcha that looks like my next move if a different controller doesn't work then I have to bypass the courtesy light switch. Or run my own power to that then loop out of that

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
You sure don't need much of a cable from the batteries to run a simple LED light setup. I ran a 10awg because I ran a number of accessories off of the sub panel I installed. You absolutely should install a fuse, but you don't nessessarily have to have a switch. I would run this to the battery switch rather than the battery itself, to avoid any parasitic battery drain. When the switch is off, all batteries are off.

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is your LED controller connected to the stereo via an audio input?

I had a similar ground loop issue caused by using a Raspberry Pi as an audio input. My solution was to use a Toslink fiber audio cable to connect the Pi's output to the Fusion head unit with a fiber to RCA converter in the middle.

This broke the ground loop. I also used a ground loop isolator that worked well but reduced the input level.

My LED controller is using it's internal microphone to synchronize with the music.
@Bruce where did you place your controller in relation to speakers? I have the same controller and will be installing it in the next few weeks...I was wondering where I was going to put it so the microphone will pick up the music over other boat noises.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Bruce where did you place your controller in relation to speakers? I have the same controller and will be installing it in the next few weeks...I was wondering where I was going to put it so the microphone will pick up the music over other boat noises.
Also, do you use that knob on the controller at all? Is it on/off or just for tuning the music? I understand your "eject" switch powers the gizmo and LEDs, right?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My LED controller is located in the console.

The knob is only for sensitivity adjustment. All other changes are made via the remote.

The "eject" switch was an unused switch in an 8 switch panel. It is fun to see people debate whether or not they should push it.

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My LED controller is located in the console.

The knob is only for sensitivity adjustment. All other changes are made via the remote.

The "eject" switch was an unused switch in an 8 switch panel. It is fun to see people debate whether or not they should push it.
So that is not near any of the factory speaker locations...do you have additional speakers installed?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It is pretty sensitive. I do have a speaker installed in the drivers feet area. I think it would be fine in there regardless.

DJMattyT

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Just a little update, I took out my original remote and added a small BS $6 remote from Amazon and it got rid of the loud hum but when the stereo is ALL the way up there is a small noise but not nearly as bad as it was. This controller has horrible reviews and to be honest I don't know if it would last in marine conditions. My Wetsounds controller comes in tomorrow but I think I'm going to immediately return it and get the same one as listed above here by Bruce.

DJMattyT

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

DJMattyT

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Bruce I just got the wet sounds in the mail and it seems like the remote is pairing up with it or something. Only green is blinking and seems to be on sound mode? I can't get the remote to work

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Bruce I just got the wet sounds in the mail and it seems like the remote is pairing up with it or something. Only green is blinking and seems to be on sound mode? I can't get the remote to work
I saw that Wetsounds had remote pairing instructions. Mine simply worked out of the box. Wetsounds may have chosen a different remote to allow for multiple controllers in the same space.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Two thoughts come to mind:

My first would be ground as has been described above. This is a good avenue to pursue.

My second would be on that Wi-Fi controller. It is very likely that this controller is running on the 2.4 GHz frequency which is a very noisy frequency subject to interference from a multitude of other devices. Just like in a home environment, if there's a channel selector switch, try 1,6, or 11.

DJMattyT

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The Wetsounds controller was just way too much for a single colored LED boat. It was so hard going through functions while only using 1 color so I am going to stick with this little BS remote. image.jpegNow the reviews on it are bad but I really like the functions on it for single color. So I am buying a 2nd maybe even 3rd as spares to keep in my glovebox and I bought fully waterproof quick disconnects, so if this thing shits out like reviews stated, then I will have 2 backups! Call me crazy but for $6 each I figured it's worth it. I just have to hit the ends of these disconnects with some silicone because they wouldn't shrink small enough.
image.jpeg

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@DJMattyT i have used that same controller for a couple land based applications and they have done swell. Estimated 6-8 hours per day for close to 6 months now with no issues.

Keep it dry and I assume you'll have the same results.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

DJMattyT

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score