• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

I Got a Raise!

When was your last raise?

• Within 1 year

Votes: 49 69.0%
  • Within 3 years

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Within 5 years

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Within 10 years

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • I'm self employed

Votes: 14 19.7%
  • I'm retired

Votes: 2 2.8%

• Total voters

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I switch jobs all the time. The last company I came on to train people with new a new program. Soon after I came, they laid off 25% of the company to make way for more efficiency and training (do more with less). I was working on an insane quantity of projects for the company. At the 6 month review, I requested a VERY fair 10% increase because I enabled them to take on new types of projects. They gave me the run-around and said "What else can you do for the company? We can only give you 5%". No problem. I don't challenge people, but I love to teach lessons. I waited for my average bonus, cashed out my 10 vacation days, and put in my 2 weeks notice. I was a hard worker until the final day and I left a ton of projects. I was called into the office "Why is everyone leaving the company?" .. Me: "MONEY". The new company gave me 10% so now i'm being paid 15% more then last year. Also I don't have to take the subway in NYC anymore (MAJOR win for my wallet and sanity)

Last edited:

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I switch jobs all the time. The last company I came on to train people with new a new program. Soon after I came, they laid off 25% of the company to make way for more efficiency and training (do more with less). I was working on an insane quantity of projects for the company. At the 6 month review, I requested a VERY fair 10% increase because I enabled them to take on new types of projects. They gave me the run-around and said "What else can you do for the company? We can only give you 5%". No problem. I don't challenge people, but I love to teach lessons. I waited for my average bonus, cashed out my 10 vacation days, and put in my 2 weeks notice. I was a hard worker until the final day and I left a ton of projects. I was called into the office "Why is everyone leaving the company?" .. Me: "MONEY". The new company gave me 10% so now i'm being paid 15% more then last year. Also I don't have to take the subway in NYC anymore (MAJOR win for my wallet and sanity)
I was hyper loyal at my old job. Stayed 12 years and felt I left a ton of money on the table over those years. Jumped ship for an amazing opportunity and finally see it for what it is. It's a great way to gain better experience for my next role, whatever/whenever that may be. I'll likely stick around until all my stock vests then peace out. Unless they give me more, which I don't see them being able to match the amount I got at sign on.

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have been working for a mid size mechanical contractor for the past 10 years and have gotten a raise every year since I have been there. I can honestly say it's one of the best employers I have ever worked for.

Farmdog267

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've been with my current employer for 2.5 years now. Started with them in the fall and just after the new year last year i got a raise on my base salary which was about 12% ($5k). There were talks of promotion most of last year and that finally came through in late January of 2019. Now I am the sales manger for our dealership (1 store with 4 others so 5 locations total as of presently.) I like the job most days but it is a big adjustment from where I used to be regarding the physical activity level. If anyone needs John Deere or Stihl Equipment, let me know.. lol

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So funny there appears to be a pretty consistent theme here (and kinda sad), but my story is no different... If you want more money, loyalty doesn’t pay.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
So funny there appears to be a pretty consistent theme here (and kinda sad), but my story is no different... If you want more money, loyalty doesn’t pay.
Right. I've been criticized many times by people that say "you jump jobs too much" and they give really bad career advice. I defend myself with numbers "i've increased my base salary by XX% in X years". It's strange because that isn't enough to convince the people that mobility is a great skill. I've seen many employers model their business around complacent employees. I have a family member that has been receiving less money every year after accounting for inflation. For 15 years, she has received less raise then the inflation rate. It's truly the saddest thing that I've ever seen. She is actually paralyzed by the fear of changing jobs and creates these silly excuses to stay.

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I've been in the self employed category for 6 years now, and have no plans of going back to working for someone else. My wife and I have seen our company grow an average of 18% a year for the last 5 years. That's the best raise I could ask for!

Jebinok

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've been with my current employer for 2.5 years now. Started with them in the fall and just after the new year last year i got a raise on my base salary which was about 12% ($5k). There were talks of promotion most of last year and that finally came through in late January of 2019. Now I am the sales manger for our dealership (1 store with 4 others so 5 locations total as of presently.) I like the job most days but it is a big adjustment from where I used to be regarding the physical activity level. If anyone needs John Deere or Stihl Equipment, let me know.. lol
Dammit Really? i just bought some JD parts.

Arcadyus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
When I was in sales, almost my entire life I got no raises. Once I moved into management I got raises every year. Now that Im part owner of the same company I prob won't be getting anymore raises.