• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

I have found a Yeti (or at least an unbroken scupper)

Water is all good but the bilge pump won't handle debris very well. By debris I mean the nutter butter peanut butter cookies, grapes, skittles, etc. that kids like to shove down the drain while trying to hide the fact they've dropped something. Somehow That's easier than just picking it up and throwing it away.... does anyone else have that problem or is it just me?

I'm lucky in that respect my kids are all grown up and married but i must admit i don't recall ever having that problem somehow.

Ok i understand that it's not actually the scupper that causes the problem it's the housing that the scupper fits into, Is that right? I have no problem with my scupper it works fine i was just commenting and trying to get around the problem that people seem to be having but i was under the impression that it was the actual scupper valve itself that was creating the problem not a cracked housing as this had not been explained.

@Geoff Cooper, correct, it is not the rubber scupper flap that fails but the plastic housing that it is installed into.

If you look at my scupper change thread https://jetboaters.net/threads/replacing-yamaha-sx230-scupper-valve.1325/ you can see the old scupper where it failed. I could not see any cracks when I started but it came apart as I removed it. I did not believe that I had a problem but I decided to change it before attempting the 60 mile Gulf Stream crossing to Bimini. I am very happy that I did.

old_scupper.jpg

This is the new scupper that I installed. The stainless ring here is in the same place that the plastic ring above had been installed in. If it had failed while in the water the most likely outcome is that my boat would have sunk.

installed.jpg

Ok i understand now, I realize where the problem is it's in the Body itself, thanks for that.

Send it back to Yamaha. They may need it for their archives.

I'll be doing mine when the weather warms up. If it's not broken we should send BOTH back to Yamaha so they can breed more of them. ;)

I'll be honest: I still feel that the true solution here is to block of the existing scupper drain hole and make a new one above the waterline - maybe out the side. I'm just not 100% confident that doing that won't create other issues. So - for the time being anyway - I'm simply going to replace the scupper in its existing location with the SS model. While I don't feel it is ideal, I do feel that I'll have a drastic reduction in my chances of having a problem with it.

I'll be doing mine when the weather warms up. If it's not broken we should send BOTH back to Yamaha so they can breed more of them. ;)

I'll be honest: I still feel that the true solution here is to block of the existing scupper drain hole and make a new one above the waterline - maybe out the side. I'm just not 100% confident that doing that won't create other issues. So - for the time being anyway - I'm simply going to replace the scupper in its existing location with the SS model. While I don't feel it is ideal, I do feel that I'll have a drastic reduction in my chances of having a problem with it.

I'm trying to think what other issues it can produce by blanking the original scupper and making a new one, as long as there is a good run off below the position of the deck scupper outlet pipe i don't see a problem as no other pipe joins that pipe at a later stage i don't think without checking!

I'm trying to think what other issues it can produce by blanking the original scupper and making a new one, as long as there is a good run off below the position of the deck scupper outlet pipe i don't see a problem as no other pipe joins that pipe at a later stage i don't think without checking!

The side seems as good a place as any and easy to change if you need to do in the future, Unless it was situated in the back so as when the boat was on plane the force of water being pushed from the cabin area to the back aids the working of the scupper, Just a thought!

I don't see a problem with the original location as long as you use a metal scupper.

In YABC yacht codes a scupper is always supposed to exit above water. Before I changed my scupper I could see light on the inside through the thin plastic material. Cam.

I don't see a problem with the original location as long as you use a metal scupper.

In reality there should be NO through-hull fittings below the waterline of any boat. If, for some reason you must have one, then it should have a built-in ball valve (in case the hose fails) and be easily accessible - both to access the valve and to jam a bung in the hole if the whole fitting were to let go.

I would be fine with the current location if it met the easy access criteria. Even with the SS scupper you could still have the hose come off (or break) and you'd be in a world of hurt. By the time you make the decision to start yanking up the access panel, you'd be sitting low in the water - probably low enough that yanking the access panel would swamp the boat.

The vast majority of my boating is done relatively calm sunny days so one could argue that all I need to do is jump in the water and plug the hole, but if conditions do not allow you to do that (weather state, physical injury, etc) then you're back in a world of hurt again.

OH, I saw the title and figured that @waterboy must not get out to REI much. They sell lots of Yetis.
Incredibly expensive, but they do keep things cold for a long time. I used one once to keep a big tuna cold:

imagesLRXTDTRY.jpg

Carry 0n....:cool:

When I replaced mine with SS, it was NOT cracked either actually.

Back