• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

I need a CPO / lightly used SUV to tow with, recommendations?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I checked out some YouTube videos last night and found one from 2013 from Edmonds or car and driver which ranked the top 5 large suvs by sales in the US as follows:
5. Sequoia
4. Yukon XL
3. Expedition
2. Suburban
1. Tahoe.

I was surprised to see that US companies held 4 of the 5 spots and that the armada, Range Rover, Navigator and some Mercedes did not make the list.

Last edited:

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Ronnie We pulled our boats with identical Expeditions in the years previous. I think you will find the 2010 Expedition a big step up. The brakes inspire much more confidence. The transmission has a nice low first gear and the tow mode does a better job keeping the RPM's up. Plus I think you will love the power deploy running board, cooled seats and Sync system.

Squirts

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Love my '17 Titan with the 5.6L. Someone mentioned that they make an armada with the same engine. However I do question that source because he also said he gets 22mpg at 80mph...I'm averaging 11mpg city and maybe 16 hwy...lol

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Ronnie We pulled our boats with identical Expeditions in the years previous. I think you will find the 2010 Expedition a big step up. The brakes inspire much more confidence. The transmission has a nice low first gear and the tow mode does a better job keeping the RPM's up. Plus I think you will love the power deploy running board, cooled seats and Sync system.
You nailed it on all points, I just drove it home in traffic 20 miles and am amazed at how awesome this SUV is. I have never enjoyed bumper to bumper traffic until today. It’s very comfortable, drives so much better than the 01 and has all the bells and whistles which are well integrated. My only regret is not buying this years ago. The previous owner took great care of it and always had it maintained at the dealership i bought it from.

FYI - 2010 Limited 4x4 with 102k miles, $20k out the door with a two year bumper to bumper extended warranty. I can’t wait to tow the boat with it, with a 9000 pound tow capacity it should easily handle any towing I plan to do with ease.

5E930C37-01A5-43AF-A02F-9A8CDFBBB058.jpeg

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Ha, we even have the same tires. By the way, the folding mirrors come in handing at the car wash.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I’m tempted to hook the boat and trailer up to it and hit the freeway just to see how it tows.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Ronnie I had the same model year in a EL version and loved it. Best of luck my man!

Freezer41

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I would go for an Expedition but only if I could get the ecoboost. Also the 22" wheels might reduce the towing capacity

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I saw a few 2015s with ecoboost and around 30k miles going for $28k ish on cargurus.com .

One thing is for sure I’m glad I bought used and didn’t pay the new price.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Update, I used the new Expediton to trailer the boat for the first time this past weekend.

WOW !!! I should have upgraded my tow vehicle a long, long time ago. I didn’t realize what I was missing but now appreciate how much better a nice ride to and from the water can make a boating experience.

Even though the base vehicle is the same as my previous 2001 Expediton the 2010 is a very different animal. Things i noticed right away are that the suspension is softer, the ride is quieter, the seating is set up better and the seats are more comfortable. I love the self leveling suspension and that Ford designed in 9,000 lbs in towing capacity without the need of a load balancing hitch. Although I was not sure what to think when the compressor for the leveling system turned on while the vehicle was in the incline of a ramp with a trailer but no boat in tow.

The other things are attributable to the limited v. The xlt (base model, next being the Eddie Bauer and last after limited is the king ranch).

The sun roof/moon roof, electric 3rd row seats, tailgate and running boards, lovely.

The synch system: good touch screen navigation with integrated rear view camera, backup sensors, blue tooth or hard wired auxillary input to a nice stereo system and passenger dvd system.

The 7 passenger seating configuration gives 4 people captains chairs instead of just 2 and the elimination of the center console in the 2nd row makes getting into the 3rd row possible without folding seats up in the 2nd row.

The heating and cooling controls are well thought out and includes heated and cooled front seats and heated second row seats as well as separate temperature controls for the pilot, copilot and rear seat passengers.

There is probably more but I could not be happier about this. I still feel the boat back there when I’m driving but it’s just a much smoother more comfortable tow vehicle and/or daily driver than I am used to. I’ve only towed with it once but I was a lot less fatigued after towing 2 hours to the lake and 2 back than I usually am.

What’s it missing? A front hitch, which I plan to install soon and and rear view camera with display in the rear view or synch screen, which I also plan to install soon. I’m on the fence about the eco boost twin turbo engine but I can’t deny that it produces more hp and torque, I can and did deny the big increase in price for going newer and with an ecoboost engine.

I highly recommend this to anyone that needs a lot of towing capability and passenger capacity.
554B1DB1-DB2A-46FA-ADD9-D0461E326084.jpeg