• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

I think I finally quieted my Yamaha!

ridinpropless

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I think I did it! I believe I have officially quieted my Yamaha to the point where it is a very comfortable and pleasant ride, even at cruise speed. I read a ton on this and other forums to start the process, but added my own spin on it as well. I actually started by wrapping the entire engine compartment with this stuff I got for $50 from Home Depot: http://www.homedepot.com/p/4-ft-x-8-ft-Acoustical-Barrier-DB348X96BX/100663624 I liked it because I could wrap the entire engine compartment without any seams.

I stuck it to the side with this from Autozone: http://www.autozone.com/sealants-glues-adhesives-and-tape/body-trim-adhesive/3m-aerosol-spray-super-trim-adhesive/708718_0_0/

Then I added this stuff on top of it: http://www.raamaudio.com/package-1-20-sheets-of-raammat-bxt-ii-37-5-sq-ft-and-3-yards-ofensolite-iuo-peel-and-stick-41-625-sq-ft/

That gave me enough peel and stick panels to do the entire front and sides of the engine compartment (not the back), as well as the engine hatch and gas tank cover. I added the factory foam back on the engine hatch, just for good measure. That helped a ton.

Still wasn't satisfied, though. I bought another roll of the Home Depot stuff. I pulled the carpet from the inside walls of the rear storage compartments, laid it out on top of the rubber as a template and cut the rubber to match. Used the same 3M adhesive to glue the rubber to the carpet, and then back to the inside of the storage compartments. It made a HUGE difference! I thought it had, but wasn't sure. We went out with a buddy of ours in his 2013 242 and everyone in my family commented about how much louder his boat was than ours. For the price and couple hours of work, I would encourage everyone to do it.

Still looking for someone else with a non-modified 230/232 to meet up with to verify. Anyone?

Attachments

ncnmra

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Would love to see pics of the finished product. Want to come to Canada to do mine? haha ;)

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@ridinpropless glad to have you on board, where are you located? update your profile screen with your location and it will show on your posts,
great news to hear you think you found an answer to this glaring problem,

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sounds like you have solved an age old problem with these boats.
Is the barrier a butyl rubber mat? Pictures would be very helpful.

ridinpropless

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I'm in Atlanta. I'll try to get some pics later today as the boat is in my driveway. I don't know if I've got any "process pics", but I'll see what I can come up with. It is a heavy rubber, although not that thick. Still have the box. I'll go take a look after I get off this conference call ;) The "after" pics won't be terribly revealing because I tried to make it look pretty "factory".

I did a ton of reading/researching on soundproofing in general and realized it ultimately comes down to one of two things: 1. Add mass to reduce rattles 2. Add something that will actually absorb sound.

This stuff definitely falls into the first category, not the second. I had my wife drive the boat a couple weeks ago and crawled around listening for problem spots. I realized there was a ton of noise coming through the walls of those storage compartments.

Here's the actual manufacturers website: http://www.unitedplastics.com/consumer-db3.php

Glad to be here!

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I realized there was a ton of noise coming through the walls of those storage compartments.

!
I agree, I was riding around last week and pulled the rear seat cushion off to get a rope out and sound was just pounding out of there,

ridinpropless

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Update. Went out to take some pics last night, but there's not really much to show since it's all pretty well done. First, I actually got the sound stuff from Lowes and it is called db-4-walls. I have to believe it's the same stuff though. The label says it's an Ethylene Vinyl Acetate. Seems to be the same stuff closed cell foam is made of. It's thin, but it's much more dense.
20160628_085629.jpg
20160628_083735.jpg

In the engine compartment, I actually used 2 layers of the stuff from RaamMat and Ensolite on top of the db-4-walls. At least on the front of the engine compartment facing the cockpit.
20160628_083937.jpg

20160628_083943.jpg

20160628_084004.jpg

There was really nothing to see in the storage compartments because it ended up being a very clean install....BUT! Originally I had used a cheaper adhesive in one of them, so it was starting to fall. I helped the process and pulled it all off so I could document it better and take pics. Here you go! This is the starboard (drivers) side.

Soundproofing the storage compartments:
1: Remove carpet from side walls of storage
2. Roll out the db-4-walls (originally it was a 4X8 sheet)
20160628_084352.jpg
3. Lay carpet on top as a template.
20160628_084403.jpg
4. Spray both pieces with Trim adhesive:
20160628_084502.jpg
20160628_084710.jpg
5. Let it sit for 10-15 minutes
6. Stick the pieces together and set heavy sh1t on top of it.
20160628_085234.jpg
7. Let it sit for an hour or so.
8. Spray both the inside of the storage and back of rubber, and replace!
9. Enjoy quiet(er) boating!

spaz1868

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you want to verify on a 210 boat, I'm on Lanier. Maybe you can help me quiet mine down after the verification. We can do it scientifically and take before and after decibel readings.

ridinpropless

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
@spaz1868 , I may take you up on that. Hoping to get up there on Friday for a Fishtales dinner. Got plans?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Update. Went out to take some pics last night, but there's not really much to show since it's all pretty well done. First, I actually got the sound stuff from Lowes and it is called db-4-walls. I have to believe it's the same stuff though. The label says it's an Ethylene Vinyl Acetate. Seems to be the same stuff closed cell foam is made of. It's thin, but it's much more dense.
View attachment 40358
View attachment 40357

In the engine compartment, I actually used 2 layers of the stuff from RaamMat and Ensolite on top of the db-4-walls. At least on the front of the engine compartment facing the cockpit.
View attachment 40359

View attachment 40360

View attachment 40361

There was really nothing to see in the storage compartments because it ended up being a very clean install....BUT! Originally I had used a cheaper adhesive in one of them, so it was starting to fall. I helped the process and pulled it all off so I could document it better and take pics. Here you go! This is the starboard (drivers) side.

Soundproofing the storage compartments:
1: Remove carpet from side walls of storage
2. Roll out the db-4-walls (originally it was a 4X8 sheet)
View attachment 40362
3. Lay carpet on top as a template.
View attachment 40363
4. Spray both pieces with Trim adhesive:
View attachment 40364
View attachment 40365
5. Let it sit for 10-15 minutes
6. Stick the pieces together and set heavy sh1t on top of it.
View attachment 40366
7. Let it sit for an hour or so.
8. Spray both the inside of the storage and back of rubber, and replace!
9. Enjoy quiet(er) boating!
I have to admit - at first I thought you were blowing smoke. So many attempts by so many members, but I think you got a winner!
I myself will be studying your design. I have approximately 250lbs of (very expensive) sound dampening installed, but with somewhat different focus, and I am becoming convinced you got better results. Thank you very much for sharing!

--

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Man, @ridinpropless, get ready for about 3000 members (basically all of us with "older" boats) to pepper you with questions! I love that this seems like not only a good solution but a relatively cheap one!

How much of a PITA was it to re/re the carpet in the side compartments and I can't tell from the pics - did you go all the way to the back of the compartments or just as far as the engine hatch?

ridinpropless

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
@msavold , This was actually the easiest of all of the "sound mods" I've done. I really just went from the engine compartment to the front of those compartments. It's one piece of carpet that wraps it. I did have to make a cut back at the engine compartment, but that was it.

I downloaded a db meter and I'm going to try to take reading at all of the RPMs in the original "boattest.com" review. I don't know how accurate it will be, but should give me some idea, anyway.

For what it's worth, I think the problem in our boats is as much "reverberation" through the hull as it is "sound" of the engine. My theory is by adding mass anywhere I can feel vibration in the hull (like on the front of those compartments) we should be able to significantly reduce the reverberation. Hopefully the RaamMat and Ensolite help with the actual sound. Seems good in theory anyway. I'll let you know what the db meter says, but the ear says it worked...

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I wonder how the adhesive will hold. Maybe small staples would assist around into plywood. The heat and moisture is a concern. I think I may start this project soon as well

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Agree completely about the reverb - and I think you nailed it with the big boxes on either side of the engines!

It's been a while since I've looked at the boattest video and I don't remember if you see where they meter (will look soon), but if the video shows where he's holding the meter and which way it's pointed, that might help with the readings... FWIW, I downloaded an app too and was going to do a noise check on mine before and after replacing the hatch seal. Won't be this week end but will be the one after (I hope!). I can try same rpm too and post (stock/new seal) and we can maybe get a better correlation with boat test.com...

Which app are you using? What device?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@ridinpropless Any updates on how do you like the soundproofing? Are things holding up?
What did you use for the fuel tank cover?

--

ridinpropless

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Well, I have good news and bad news.

First, the good. The adhesive has stuck great. Hasn't budged. It turned out to be a nice clean install and I can't even really show people what I did because you can't tell. I downloaded an app (Sound Meter) for my phone (Galaxy Grand Prime from Cricket) and copied the original boattest.com sound test spread sheet. I figured I would just test it at the same RPM reading they did. The results were fantastic! Here is an overview of it all

RPM Original db After mods
2500 72 70
3000 75 75
4000 83 79
5000 84 81
6000 80 80
7000 83 80
8000 87 78
9000 92 79
10000 93 N/A

So, as you can imagine, I was ecstatic! Convinced that I had cracked the code!

We went to the beach for the day and that's where the bad news came in. A guy pulled up in an SX 230 with no mods. Made some conversation and asked him to take me for a ride so I could verify. I didn't want to take too much of his time, so I just asked him to run it up to 8000 RPMs. My sound Meter app read...80db. Damn-it.

I've decided that my phone likely has a noise canceling Mic on it that I need to disable somehow, or try on a different phone. I'm heading back out this afternoon and will try with a different phone to see if there's a difference.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, I have good news and bad news.

First, the good. The adhesive has stuck great. Hasn't budged. It turned out to be a nice clean install and I can't even really show people what I did because you can't tell. I downloaded an app (Sound Meter) for my phone (Galaxy Grand Prime from Cricket) and copied the original boattest.com sound test spread sheet. I figured I would just test it at the same RPM reading they did. The results were fantastic! Here is an overview of it all

RPM Original db After mods
2500 72 70
3000 75 75
4000 83 79
5000 84 81
6000 80 80
7000 83 80
8000 87 78
9000 92 79
10000 93 N/A

So, as you can imagine, I was ecstatic! Convinced that I had cracked the code!

We went to the beach for the day and that's where the bad news came in. A guy pulled up in an SX 230 with no mods. Made some conversation and asked him to take me for a ride so I could verify. I didn't want to take too much of his time, so I just asked him to run it up to 8000 RPMs. My sound Meter app read...80db. Damn-it.

I've decided that my phone likely has a noise canceling Mic on it that I need to disable somehow, or try on a different phone. I'm heading back out this afternoon and will try with a different phone to see if there's a difference.
I don't really care about reading on a decibel meter, unless it's done professionally it is not reliBle.
was there a difference you could hear between your boat and the sx230 you were in?