• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

I thought my voltage regulator failed

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Until I removed it and saw this. The pin that is a mess is connected to ground and the yellow part is supposed to be part of the connector.

Connector from above voltage regulator.

I decided to try and swap the voltage regulators to confirm it's bad. I removed the good voltage regulator and this is how it looks, same pin has some damage.

Connector from good voltage regulator.

I cleaned up the voltage regulator that I thought was bad and plugged it into the engine that had the good one and it worked.
So I'm thinking the connector is bad which I thought was good news, but I can only find the whole harness for 800.00 and from the looks of it both of mine are bad.

Which leads to the question why did this happen to both harnesses on the same ground pin? And can anyone identify the connector?

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I ordered the above connectors, I just need to figure out what caused the issue. I have a few things to check, could be bad ground or when I noticed the charging issue the battery I had it switched to was dead, so I'm wondering if the dead battery caused the regulator to overheat.

Opinions? @Mainah

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Worst case, it could be replaced with 6 female spade connectors. Not the fanciest solution, but will keep you on the water this weekend!

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Bad batteries can kill rectifiers or cause other problems. Bad rectifier/regulators can also kill a battery. I would check the rectifier diode(s) then once assembled check the no load and high load voltages from the regulator to the battery. I have not torn apart the charging system on one of these so I can’t offer any detailed steps on how to do that specific to these boats.

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It may be a bad ground connection somewhere causing the spikes. I assume the connector was tight. I would make sure the ground wires themselves are clean and tight for all the electrical connections battery, starter etc.

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I tested the stator and it's good, I checked all of the wiring for a short and it was good, the connector was tight but I think that the ground pin loose and the vibration caused the connection build heat. We will see, I have 2 new connectors coming and hopefully this solves the problem.

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Let us know how it works out!

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would try a Big blob of dielectric grease on the connectors and see if that increases is life. It will be interesting to see if anyone else has this issue, as both your connectors looked affected.

(I meant try the grease on the new connectors once installed. Not that you could save yours with grease)

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I believe I fixed the issue with the new connectors, well at least it's working in my garage. What a pain in the rear to replace the connectors especially on the port side. I'm not exactly sure what cause the problem, but I'm leaning toward one of my batteries, so I'm going to replace it and see what happens.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
bad connection can cause over-heat. It seems there is more current than expected going through there on both sides... I suggest a good blob of Dielectric grease to keep any arcing and sparks away.