• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

I was going to put my Keel guard on...

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I re-gel coated mine before installing the Keel Guard. It did not take very much time as I did not have to do a perfect job or match it perfectly since it would be covered. I say Gel
Coat, then Keel Guard.

mattschepker

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@jcyamaharider, that's fine. just let me know. I will be starting a conversation so we can come up with the date to put mine on. I know Jay and Mark wanted in on it also. with all that help I'd probably try to knock the last couple projects out also, keel guard obviously, faceplate for the radio, wire in wireless remote. Then I'd be ready for the water. I absolutely love how you guys are so willing to help. back in the day with my old friends good luck trying to get them to help. that's one of the reasons I always feel guilty when I ask for help.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@jcyamaharider, that's fine. just let me know. I will be starting a conversation so we can come up with the date to put mine on. I know Jay and Mark wanted in on it also. with all that help I'd probably try to knock the last couple projects out also, keel guard obviously, faceplate for the radio, wire in wireless remote. Then I'd be ready for the water. I absolutely love how you guys are so willing to help. back in the day with my old friends good luck trying to get them to help. that's one of the reasons I always feel guilty when I ask for help.
Dont feel guilty, we are a support group!! We support you to spend more money.:jawdrop:

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Whether you choose to repair the damage before putting on a Keel Guard or not could make a difference in the integrity of the hull over time.

I'm a big fan of West Systems epoxy and their microballons for repairs such as these.
Big nasty gouges should be repaired first.
Your choice in repair materials: fiberglass repair kit, Marinetex, or epoxy - properly applied will all do the trick.

Most "Universal" fiberglass repair kits supply a general purpose polyester resin. I would recommend buying vinylester resin instead if you plan on going that route and then re-applying gelcoat.

Have fun!