• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

I was going to put my Keel guard on...

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
But when I crawled up under the boat I seen this!!:mad:20140310_171125.jpg

mattschepker

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
when did that happen? I just really want to get my keel guard on now. makes me sick seeing your picture.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I guess over the few times that we went out and beaching it. Might of hit a big rock buried in the sand. It wasn't there when we bought the boat I checked out the hull very well.

mattschepker

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
that scares me now. I've always looked under there and it looks fine but I've never crawled under the boat to look

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Not a problem, I will just re gelcoat it and then put on the keel guard.

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Mine looks the same from a week of beaching in South Carolina this past summer. I plan on covering it this weekend with the Keel Guard I just bought.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Where is the dislike button John!! These darn rocks and hurting our toys really make me mad. Are you going to gelcoat the bad area or just not worry about it and put the keel guard on?

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I'm going to just cover it. I checked and the width of the Keel Guard will cover it. The actual damage is pretty minor.....just really ugly!

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I guess over the few times that we went out and beaching it. Might of hit a big rock buried in the sand. It wasn't there when we bought the boat I checked out the hull very well.
Ouch. Gotta hand it to ya, takes a big man to fess up. I'd have blamed the wifey. :) But really, as long as the fiberglass isn't compromised you can get a kit from West Marine http://www.westmarine.com/gelcoat-repair-kits/west-marine--gelcoat-white-quart--12953881 or any online marine seller and cover that. It doesn't have to be real neat as you'll be covering it with the keel guard. You just want to make sure that you keep the fiberglass absolutely dry by sealing it before you cover it. I had a similar but smaller issue that I fixed this way before installing the keel guard. Out of sight is not out of mind.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yeah I am with ya Gym. I have done my fair share of gel coat repair and I want it to be solid gelcoat under the keel guard.

Boat Crazy

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm going to just cover it. I checked and the width of the Keel Guard will cover it. The actual damage is pretty minor.....just really ugly!
I will let the experts chime in here but from everything I have read you do not want to allow water or moisture to get to that unsealed fiberglass. I recommend gel coat or marine Tex, which is easier to work with before putting on the keel guard.

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Ok....that sounds like the way to go. I will do the repair first. Thank you for the recommendation:thumbsup:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I ripped my keel guard off because previous owner must not have stuck it on properly. I found the same thing but I believe mine was deep enoigh to let water in. I was able to push it in with a finger. I fiberglassed it backtogether, but it ddoesn't match at all. Time for the guard to back on I guess, but I know your pain!

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have a 14 foot strip. You won't regret it.
I put a keel guard on my XR and it saved my boat when I hit a pointed rock under the water line,so I know the full value of the guard. I also know the excellent customer service they have. Called them up and had a replacement 2 days later!!

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
when are you going to put your keel guard on? Do you want some help
I am going to get my gel coat repair done and let that cure for awhile. It isn't going to be extremely warm out so I want to make sure that I get that done first. Then I want the weather to be a little warmer out before I put on the keel guard. The near 80 degree days were fine but it doesn't look like we are going to get those for awhile again. I can let you know when I do it though @mattschepker . Like wise in return and we can always heat your garage up more, I can bring over my torpedo heater.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Here is a picture of the first time the Keel guard saved my old boat.