• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Impeller carnage

surfthemtn

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Not the greatest weekend on the lake. Had the 242X out at Lake Powell for the first trip of the season. Riding along just under WOT approx. 7500 RPM and get a crazy bad vibration. Shut it down, figured I picked up a stick or debris or something so I pull the plugs...Nothing. Limped it over to a beach for a better once over, still cant see anything but can tell something isn't right from feeling the front of the impeller. Limped her back on one engine (Never been happier I bought a twin engine boat!!) A quick winch on the trailer to really see what's up and I see that one of the blades on my impeller is basically cracked the whole way thru. Trip over.
These impellers are straight from Impros, custom high altitude pitch on a Solas with maybe 30 hrs on them. Anyone ever heard of something like this happening before? Dealer said with a quick once over doesn't look like I picked up anything. But it sounds like my liner is toast, maybe further in also. Still waiting for pictures. Called Impros and left a message.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Shit, that sucks.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Never had a problem with my impros pitched impellers. However, I did notice that there were only tool marks on one of them so I suspect they only repitched one and left the other as specd from Solas. Which impeller of yours failed, the one that impros repitched?

Last edited:

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I have solas impellers but never had them repitched. Stock out the box 14/20
Curious if impeller issue or stress from pitching

surfthemtn

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The stbd side is the one that grenaded. Im not sure which one they would or wouldn't repitch. Guys at the shop also said that the clearance between the impeller and the liner is really close do these Solas blades fit a little tighter for any reason?

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Solas would need to "lengthen" the diameter if pitching down a considerable amount. They should bring it to specs which is in the tenths of an inch to sidewall.
If pitching up too much they would need to grind down the edges back to specs or it will rub.
Also, you can get corrosion over time causing the pump liner to swell.
They don't have your boat, just the impeller and your feedback.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
And too much gap causes cavitation.

surfthemtn

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Good to know! I like things to fit close I just wondered if there was such a thing as too close. Def haven't had any cavitating issues. Everything has been great until it exploded.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I see now that you have a newer boat. I've read that starting in 2015 Yamaha decided to keep the pitch on at least the 240 series boat impellers the same (they used to have off set progressive pitches because one side/pump is more efficient than the other due to its position on the hull and the fact that both impellers spin in the same direction but that topic is already better covered in numerous other threads). If Impros doesn't realize this they may have just repitched one impeller instead of both but what they do is also impacted by what you asked of them. I boat at sea level so asked that they repitch for better off the line performance and again I only saw tooling marks on one impeller even though they charged me the same premium price for both.

Impellers don't usually just fail, I would take some pics and ask Impros to take a look at them. My guess is that you waived any Solas warranty when you had them repitched. In the meantime you can always re-install your stock impellers if you have them, if not I am offering to loan you mine.

We don't have wear ring inserts but there are aftermarket inserts (plastic and stainless steel available), I would consider filling in any gaps in the damaged pump housing with JB weld or some other epoxy first because its cheaper and faster than a wear ring or impeller housing replacement.

Last edited:

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not the greatest weekend on the lake. Had the 242X out at Lake Powell for the first trip of the season. Riding along just under WOT approx. 7500 RPM and get a crazy bad vibration. Shut it down, figured I picked up a stick or debris or something so I pull the plugs...Nothing. Limped it over to a beach for a better once over, still cant see anything but can tell something isn't right from feeling the front of the impeller. Limped her back on one engine (Never been happier I bought a twin engine boat!!) A quick winch on the trailer to really see what's up and I see that one of the blades on my impeller is basically cracked the whole way thru. Trip over.
These impellers are straight from Impros, custom high altitude pitch on a Solas with maybe 30 hrs on them. Anyone ever heard of something like this happening before? Dealer said with a quick once over doesn't look like I picked up anything. But it sounds like my liner is toast, maybe further in also. Still waiting for pictures. Called Impros and left a message.
Sorry this happened to you!

This is well known issue with Solas, has NOTHING to do with repitching.

I think they may be finally getting to the bottom of the Solas impeller batches imploding.
This appears to be a fairly sensitive issue for Solas. You may actually have a shot at getting at least some money back -- apparently the way to start the process is by contacting the dealer/vendor who sold you the impeller.
Anyway, just a thought.
http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=250828&page=26

EDIT: A couple of guys here have already have that happen with Solas, @dan144k is one, I'm spacing out on the others.

--

surfthemtn

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Ronnie thanks for the offer I really appreciate it, but I still have my stock units as backups. I spoke with Impros and he basically said he will take a look but as soon as its custom bent they wont warranty anything. He recommended a SCAT as a more reliable unit. Here are a couple pics from the shop. One of my local dealers said he does a high altitude bend with an OEM Yamaha impeller from a different boat. Any idea what he is talking about.
IMG_6002.JPG IMG_6003.JPG IMG_6004.JPG IMG_6005.JPG

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
No problem on the loaner offer keep in mind that mine have offset pitches which may reduce or eliminate any rpm variations you maybe experiencing when the throttles are matched up.

I never got into repitching impellers but is seems like more art than science. That stated maybe @swatski will have some insight into what it means to to a high altitude bend.

FYI - Once upon a time impros would not repitch oem impellers I don’t know if that is still the case today. I believe “skat” is a reference to skat trac impellers. I think they make conventional propellers but thought they discontinued making impellers a few years ago.

surfthemtn

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Just wanted to throw an update out there. I got a new set from of Skat Trak's from Impros with the Powell bend 3600'. David has been great, I'm going to send both Solas's back to him, for an attempt at a warranty claim, he said he has seen this before but it is rare. Just unlucky for me. Cant wait to try the new ones out. Hopefully the lake will have warmed by the time we are up and running. Side note many guys are getting the 6CW screws from the 190 series because of an increased overlap vs. our stock 242 sets and having them pitched either by Impros or the local shop here in Denver. But good luck getting ahold of those guys, Tried for 2 weeks straight cant even get a call back.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Side note many guys are getting the 6CW screws from the 190 series because of an increased overlap vs. our stock 242 sets and having them pitched either by Impros or the local shop here in Denver.
That is a dynamite find.
I couldn't believe it when @Williamsone46 posted it here, somewhere. It is true.

This is such a simple performance mod, too. The single engine OEM impellers are probably the best Yamaha JB impellers on the planet - if one wants a huge hole shot, and godsend for surfing when maxing out on ballast.

BTW - I was puzzled with the OEM impellers for 190, when I was messing with those, being twice the price of the ones for the 240! Well, there is a reason.

--

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I've heard multiple times that the OEM screws are the highest performing until you go crazy expensive. I have a second set of lake powell screws sitting in my office closet that I was planning on selling... maybe I should hold onto them :p.

Getting excited for the season. My slips are going in and I'm headed down to powell here in a few weeks for some R&R.

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
That is a dynamite find.
I couldn't believe it when @Williamsone46 posted it here, somewhere. It is true.

This is such a simple performance mod, too. The single engine OEM impellers are probably the best Yamaha JB impellers on the planet - if one wants a huge hole shot, and godsend for surfing when maxing out on ballast.

BTW - I was puzzled with the OEM impellers for 190, when I was messing with those, being twice the price of the ones for the 240! Well, there is a reason.

--
This is true! The 6CW impellers are the best impellers to have pitched due to the increased over lap over the stock ones. Impros does a great job, but sometimes it's hard to get a hold of Dave. Vickery Motorsports in Denver also pitches them and from what I'm told they do a great job.

Zach Ahmed

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
what are advantages of these aftermarket impellers and repitching? cons?

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
what are advantages of these aftermarket impellers and repitching? cons?
For impeller pitch, altitude and boat weight are the largest factors.
For impeller type... this is like saying Duratrac's tires are better than BFG's. They probably are, each better for different things.

Zach Ahmed

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
so none of them change top speed or time to speed? thanks for the info