• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Impeller change

Ernie

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey guys, I hope you can help me out. I have a 2007 SX230 HO so I decided to pull out the impeller shafts to check things out since the boat is getting older. I pulled out the starboard side and everything looks good so I put it back and the shaft went all the way in and the housing sat flush so I installed the bolts and went to the port side.

I pulled everything out on the port and it looks good also so I put it back and for some reason I had to support the unit and push in and hold it there or it would pop back out a couple of inches. The only way to get the bolts in and tighten it down was to push inward and put the bolts in while I was putting pressure on the unit.

Do you think this is ok or is something not lined up ? Thanks for any help.

Sounds like an issue to me.

@BigShasta, @Murf'n'surf you guys are experts in this area!

If its gravity pushing it out I think you are ok. You should probably take a flash light and go look at the receiving splines up inside the hull to look for possible fishing line and trash that was wrapped around the shaft that might be in the way now and pushing the shaft back out.

If its gravity pushing it out I think you are ok. You should probably take a flash light and go look at the receiving splines up inside the hull to look for possible fishing line and trash that was wrapped around the shaft that might be in the way now and pushing the shaft back out.

Its not gravity , its like there is a spring on the end of the shaft but of course there's not. It looks clean all the way also.

Last edited:
Mine did exactly the same @Ernie. It's just the grease on the splines trapping a little bit of air. Just hold it in while you get a bolt on it. I hope you checked the cone bearings.

Mine did exactly the same @Ernie. It's just the grease on the splines trapping a little bit of air. Just hold it in while you get a bolt on it. I hope you checked the cone bearings.

That was my next guess Thanks. Where are the cone bearings? Is that the end of the cap that looks like a cone?

Not taking the impeller off so I just spun the shaft and its seems tight and quiet so I think the bearings are ok.

Last edited:
Simple and quick to take the cone off and check your grease. May spin fine but puts confidence on your pump.

Simple and quick to take the cone off and check your grease. May spin fine but puts confidence on your pump.

If I take the cone off and it needs grease where the heck do I find EPNOC AP#0 or Equivalent grease? Ive been searching all over and everyone has that problem. What does the dealer use?

If I take the cone off and it needs grease where the heck do I find EPNOC AP#0 or Equivalent grease? Ive been searching all over and everyone has that problem. What does the dealer use?
Orrrr marine grease.
Best stuff is probably from island racings website. Check them out!

I checked out Island Racing and finally found the grease they offer. But man that website is from when the internet first came online. LOL! There has to be a better way and marine grease is no good in there. Im going to make some local calls and see what I can come up with.

I used seadoo pump bearing grease. Not hard to find. You should only need grease if water has entered the cone. If there's no water close it back up and enjoy a beer. Here's a couple of pictures of what you will see.

Good
image.jpeg
Bad
image.jpeg

I checked out Island Racing and finally found the grease they offer. But man that website is from when the internet first came online. LOL! There has to be a better way and marine grease is no good in there. Im going to make some local calls and see what I can come up with.
Why is marine grease no good in there?

They say its to thick wont flow through the bearings.
Yes it will, what do you put in your trailer wheel bearings? Same type of application.

FWIW, I just ordered some of the grease from Island Racing. As strange as the process was, I got a PayPal invoice the same day and my product arrived about a week later. It wasn't as easy as Amazon, but it worked.

They say its to thick wont flow through the bearings.
Grease will thin out with heat a bit. If it's too thick try driving faster.

@Ernie .. u ever have any problem with the shaft pushing out? I just put mine in and the port side did the same as yours.. not much pressure just enough to push it out.

Back