• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Increasing ballast on 212X

bobbie

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I looked over the previous posts and haven't found my answer. Has anyone changed out the factory ballast bags to increase ballast? i'm looking to increase to 800# per side and also use the ski locker. I would rather not have bags all over the boat....rather keep them hidden. any advise would be appreciated!!

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
800 per side will take most of your under seat storage space. What are you looking to do wake board or wake surf? I added weight under the port bow seat as well and only have one bag on the port cabin seat visible.

bobbie

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
both...i've been talking with wakemakers. they really want a yamaha 212x to experiment with but it will be me making the trip to bend. did you notice a difference adding in the bow area?? i've read that it does. @jcyamaharider

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yes I did it sinks the boat more and get a bigger pocket out back. I would say if you can sacrifice the storage I would go for it. I just have subs on both sides and storage that I cannot give up. My fix for this is adding a bigger bag to the port cabin seat. We sit on the bag as well. Kind of comfy. :)

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Also the ski locker bag helps sink the whole boat too. I have 800 there.

bobbie

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
thanks for you advise! will post some pics if i go ahead with it. @jcyamaharider

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
:thumbsup:

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
You can't increase the under seat ballast in the 12'-14' 212X to more than 400lbs a side. There isn't enough room to put a bag any bigger than that.

The stock bags are made by Skylon Sports and they are 600 lb bags limited down to 350 lb. You could always remove the timer and put an overflow in each bag tying them into the bilge line. That way it will fill to the max capacity, and it won't ever burst.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What I've done on a Mastercraft is add lead bricks coated in spray-on bed liner. Each brick weighs about 30 lbs. and is 2" thick X 4" X 18". This is an easy way (weigh hehe) to pack on the pounds in the least amount of room. The downfall is that you have to carry it around.

These bricks can usually be found at scrap yards.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Where are the bags located in the 212x? Are they in the under seat storage or are they beside the engines?

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
You can't increase the under seat ballast in the 12'-14' 212X to more than 400lbs a side. There isn't enough room to put a bag any bigger than that.

The stock bags are made by Skylon Sports and they are 600 lb bags limited down to 350 lb. You could always remove the timer and put an overflow in each bag tying them into the bilge line. That way it will fill to the max capacity, and it won't ever burst.

When i was looking at 212x's I remember the bags being in the storage compartments on the port and starboard side with no wall. I wouldn't see why you couldn't buy a longer fly high bag and put those on each side. The battery will have to be moved but that is simple. Is there something I am missing?

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Those bags in the storage compartment really take up space when in use. I wish it had hard tanks below the floor.
I'm looking at adding a big bag in the ski locker this summer. That should make a substantial difference in squatting the boat even lower. In my experiments - adding just 300lbs of people ballast up in the bow really stretches out the wave, so I'm looking at adding a 750lb'er from WakeMakers. Problem is - we have a LOT of shit stored in that ski locker - life vests, noodles, boogie boards, etc. We just take way too much crap along with us.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am not sure about the 212X but on my SX230 the floor that is in the under seat storage continues all the way back to the back of the upper swim step. It is hidden in the engine compartment by the plywood walls. The shelf is approximately 16 inches wide and 6 feet long.

This is a picture looking forward from a cup holder hole at the back left corner you can see the shelf in the bilge. The carpeted area is beside the engine. I plan to install 400 pound bags using about 3 feet of this area.

image.jpg

This is in the engine compartment with the plywood removed.

image.jpg

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yep Bruce you use all of that and then some.

20140101_141639.jpg

20140101_141655.jpg

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Port bow seat

20131228_135507.jpg

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
There is 6' of length back there. Are you really using all of it? 800 pound bags?
6' are you including the rear false wall as well? That area past the false wall is small and you have to be carful not to pinch off the cooling lines when the ballast bag is full on the starboard side. I pushed that bag as far back as I could and this is where they ended up. I have the fly high 400lbs v-drive bags. 42" x 16" x 16". On the starboard side I put the end of the bag just in front of the rear cooling lines leaving the boat

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Here are instructions to get a little more out of your 212x bags, compliments of Kansas Dave (@Dperreault1). He said he was on this board but I haven't seen him post unless his name is different.

Here are the reprogram instructions for the ballast controller.

The timers that maxed out at 6 minutes were only available in 2007. After that all modules should have a maximum time of 20 minutes.

Fill-Drain Time Set up
• Obtain correct tank size
• Pump fills at approx 10 GPM
• Disconnect all battery from main boat connection for at least 30 seconds. Disconnect plug between
pump and the Active Intelligence box until programming is complete. Reconnect power from battery
and immediately start toggling switch to enter program mode.
• Push toggle to the fill position and toggle between fill and drain 5 times stopping in the off position each
time (fill-off-drain-off-fill-off, Etc.) Do not rush. This should be done in a slow methodical 1 second at
each position pace. Unit will blink when you have entered program mode and the number of blinks will
indicate the current fill time in 30 second intervals.
• To increase fill time - toggle between off and the fill position, each toggle increases the fill time by 30
seconds.
• To decrease fill time - toggle between off and drain position, each toggle decreases by 30 seconds.
• Increments are 30 seconds (approx 3.5 gallons per toggle) with minimum fill time of 30 seconds and
maximum of 20 minutes.
• Reconnect power to pump and run pump in drain cycle until pump stops automatically. This must be
done to reset unit to zero after programming

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length