• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Independently Ran Sound System (Severing it from CONEXT)

Sotally Tober

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
So I plan on running my Sound System Independently from CONEXT. That being said, can I do this without triggering any alarms on CONEXT?

The plan is to remove all stock stereo equipment to include the head unit on the swimstep, Wetsounds HTX Amp and the Wetsounds Speakers. From there install the monster sound system to include the Wet Sounds MC-1 on the helm adjacent to the CONEXT screen. Everything in the sound system will be wired independently to 4 Group 31 XS-3100 Batteries. Ultimate goal is to eliminate CONEXT with anything to do with the sound system.

Will the absense of the Fusion head unit trigger an alarm on CONEXT?

Oh, also it might be worth noting that we are gutting the battery system. As mentioned above the sound system and only the sound system will be hooked up to the 4 XS-3100 AGM Batteries. We plan on moving everything else to the starter battery that comes with the boat. There will be a network of onboard battery charges that will maintain the batteries at all times.

Will messing with stock configuration of the battery set up trigger an alarm on CONEXT?

A complete install will be going down early next month with Sotally Tober 5 being ready for sea (lake) trials mid-September in Havasu.

Last edited:

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think the fusion “remote” is really the head for the system. If you disconnect it from the system you could likely terminate the nmea2k connection that I suspect plugs into the head unit. If you leave that connection un terminated I suspect you will have issues with Connext.

Sotally Tober

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I think the fusion “remote” is really the head for the system. If you disconnect it from the system you could likely terminate the nmea2k connection that I suspect plugs into the head unit.
You are correct, it is the head unit that sits on the swimstep. Will the absence of the nmea2k connection cause an alarm on CONEXT?

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Another thought...can you move the stock headhunt and remount it somewhere else and still keep it plugged into the system, just with no speakers. I'm thinking a way to fool Connext into thinking the stereo is there...just NEVER played at a loud enough volume.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think as long as you terminate the cable feeding the hu on the swimstep it should be okay. I wonder if the module would just ‘disappear’ from connex.

In the reverse, for my fusion hu and remote any nmea 2k device can connect up and would cycle thru my display accordingly. I’ve never tried it though.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
So I plan on running my Sound System Independently from CONEXT. That being said, can I do this without triggering any alarms on CONEXT?
Just pull the Fusion head unit and unscrew the 2k cable. Then fire it up and see. As mentioned, a 2k terminator might be needed.

Also while the Connext system uses a 2k network and cable, it's a modified proprietary protocol so it's not plug and play with other 2k devices. The Fusion is standard 2k so the Connext and on-board computers must have some kind of 2k translation.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just pull the Fusion head unit and unscrew the 2k cable. Then fire it up and see. As mentioned, a 2k terminator might be needed.

Also while the Connext system uses a 2k network and cable, it's a modified proprietary protocol so it's not plug and play with other 2k devices. The Fusion is standard 2k so the Connext and on-board computers must have some kind of 2k translation.
Doing a little Searching on this before hitting the water.. I wonder if they just have proprietary connectors on the connex components?

Sotally Tober

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
How did this turn out? @Sotally Tober
Flawlessly. The wet sounds head unit is mounted where the phone holder normally is. No alarms triggered. The sound system is 100 percent independent to include the battery set up.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Flawlessly. The wet sounds head unit is mounted where the phone holder normally is. No alarms triggered. The sound system is 100 percent independent to include the battery set up.
Did you need the terminator or no?