• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Inside wear on trailer tires - bad leaf spring?

Blazin14

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have an AR230 with a stock MFI trailer. The tires on the trailer are wearing on the inside (camber). Need to replace tires every year. The front 2 wear more than the rear.

Has anybody else had the same problem and how did they fix it? New leaf springs? or did they need to bend the axel? (aka -Alignment)

What is the factory camber on a MFI ?

Can worn leaf spring cause a bad camber that causes inside tire wear?

It would be nice if someone had this exact problem before....

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I do not believe that the leaf springs could alter the camber. The axle to tire assembly should be one rigid assembly that maintains the same camber over it's lifetime. The only way to change the camber would be to bend the axle.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have seen this before on multiple trailers but it may not be one exact thing... it could be a slightly been axel... it could be warn shackles ... it could be pieces in between the two axels that make them self level could not be working or stuck.on one side making the front axel carry 90 of the weight over loading the front tires. It could be the type of tires. ( although if multiple sets if tires were the same way then it's not the tires). If it is always the inside of both front tires then it would seem either the axel may be defective or the axel is damaged. U see stuff like that when the center of the axel strikes something on the ground like a tree stump or something. If they are both wearing even on the inside through multiple tires I would say there is an axel problem..... or the bearings are so bad that the tires and wheels an flaring out going down the road.... that's real bad... that's when u come to a stop light and see a tire roll through the intersection and say, some poor basturd just lost his wheel...... then u look in your mirrors!

Sorry, prob too much to help u any...

Orang Ezazi

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the very same problem before... I just took it to Discount Tire.. to buy new sets, and they fix it for me for FREE... give them a call locally to see if the can do the same to earn your business in buying tire from them...

AZDANSX230HO

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had the same problem on our previous 2006 SX230 with the MFI Trailer, however it was the cheap bias ply tires that were the problem. Switched over to radials and never had an issue again. Not sure what tires you are running or if it is trailer related causing it.

yamahaar230honewb

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I recently rebuilt my 2005 MFI trailer for the Ar230. We put new leaf springs on ours because they were very rusted. Although it took a while (including brakes and actuator.) its nice to know that its all fresh underneath. If they look rusty go ahead put the money in it now before your forced to later.

The trailer itself likely only costs about 220 to rebuild, the brakes were really the higher price item. You may also check the wheel bearings to make sure they are all in good shape.

Smassey22180

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Are you using radials? If not, that is probably your issue. Radials are not much $$ more these days. The only downside is the sidewall is more easily damaged if you pinch a curb. Plenty of upside though.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes the bias ply tires on my mfi were pre on both the outside and the inside but the middle was fine.... bias ply tired wear funny anyway... so I agree with the people above who say if u have bias ply then it's prob the tires. If u have radials then that's a different story.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had to get an axel bent on my camper, the front tires were wearing on the insides, I haven't had a problem since getting it aligned.

YamahaForMe

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It could be your trailer is not level. If it is too low in the front, you would put too much weight on the front wheels, causing the tires to wear more on the inside. Too high and the back tires wear on the inside.