• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Installed an Electric Winch

906Tony

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So would you say splice the Blue from the break away box to the positive wire of my winch and the White to the negative wire and the black to pin 4?
Dont use the blue wire, that is for brakes only! If you have a seven pin, you should have a 12 volt positive and a ground. The 12 volt wire can be used for charging a battery. You will want a small battery (possibly on your trailer) to act as a buffer for the winch because like others have said, the winch draw is too heavy for your trailer connection. Hope this helps.
3DCA04C9-40C7-4813-95B9-9E5458BB9D98.png

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Dont use the blue wire, that is for brakes only! If you have a seven pin, you should have a 12 volt positive and a ground. The 12 volt wire can be used for charging a battery. You will want a small battery (possibly on your trailer) to act as a buffer for the winch because like others have said, the winch draw is too heavy for your trailer connection. Hope this helps.
View attachment 188766
Thanks for your help. The harness diagram is really helpful. My understanding though is that this unit will serve as my battery and connecting it to the trailer harness will serve as a means to recharge it. I don’t intend to use this as a trailer break away safety net. I want to use it to power the winch. That’s why I was thinking blue going directly to the winch rather than to the break away box as shown in the diagram. Would that work?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
.....I was thinking blue going directly to the winch rather than to the break away box as shown in the diagram. Would that work?
Nope.

You want Pin 4 to trailer battery + and Pin 1 to trailer battery - from the truck.

You want B+ and B- to the trailer battery battery from the winch

The blue wire (Pin 2) only gets voltage from the truck when you have your foot on the brake AND you have a brake controller installed (factory or aftermarket). The blue wire is typically used to actuate the electric brakes, so it's only "live" when you're using the brakes in the truck.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Pin 4 of the 7 pin connector is 12V Power. This is intended for powering a breakaway battery for charging a battery for a electric brakes that would trigger if the trailer separated from the vehicle.

I would us a kit like this https://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-20099-Engager-System-Battery/dp/B000CMHVBW

Just install the battery box and run wires directly from the battery leads to your winch. The 5Ah battery should be able to power the winch for seven minutes on each charge. It is likely to recharge the power used to winch the boat on the way home. If needed it will get extra charging on the way back to the ramp.

The advantage to this is that the battery box has charge controlling built in.
I’m trying to follow what Bruce is suggesting here. He’s saying to run the leads from the battery (which is in the box) directly to the winch. The only leads I see are the blue and white. (Keep in mind, I’m using this box for a different purpose so connecting blue to the trailer breaks is not the intent in this case.) Then I would run the black wire to pin 4 to charge it. Is this not how I should interpret what Bruce is saying?

Attachments

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@sunbyrned, you need to open the box and attach the power leads for your winch directly to the battery inside.

Connect the red wire to the +12 volt charging circuit on your 7 pin connector and the white wire to ground. This will charge the small battery while connected to your tow vehicle.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
This is what I have to work with. The box is sealed so I can’t open it but they have the blue, white and black wires running out of the box. Was thinking of attaching blue and white to my winch wires (red and black in the pic) and black to pin 4. No?

Attachments

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
OK, reread the diagram.

Black wire from the little box thing to Pin 4 on the truck and B+ on the winch.
White wire from the little box thing to Pin 1 on the truck and B- on the winch.

You could use a volt meter to test the voltage across the black and white from the box thing. I bet you'll find it to be 12V-ish.

Ignore all of the blue wires.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This is what I have to work with. The box is sealed so I can’t open it but they have the blue, white and black wires running out of the box. Was thinking of attaching blue and white to my winch wires (red and black in the pic) and black to pin 4. No?
I only saw half of the box diagram earlier.

Black is 12V for charging.
Blue is 12V out to the winch. Hopefully current is not limited on that circuit so a direct connection to the battery will not be necessary.
White is ground.

So connect black to 12V charging from the 7 pin connector, blue to the positive side of the winch and both the white and winch negative to the 7 pin connectors ground. Keep the wires as short as possible as longer wires will have more loss.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

Blue is 12V out to the winch. Hopefully current is not limited on that circuit so a direct connection to the battery will not be necessary.
White is ground.

So connect black to 12V charging from the 7 pin connector, blue to the positive side of the winch and both the white and winch negative to the 7 pin connectors ground. Keep the wires as short as possible as longer wires will have more loss.
Beautiful! That’s all clear to me now. Thanks to everyone trying to help. I think this is the way to go though.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

White is ground.

That really depends on that switch though right? Blue will only have power when the switch is "pulled" in that diagram. Right?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That really depends on that switch though right? Blue will only have power when the switch is "pulled" in that diagram. Right?
The breakaway switch is normally open (normally off). Blue from the breakaway box always sends +12V to the switch which, in normal use, interrupts the current until the lanyard is pulled. In Sunbyrned's application the switch on the winch will replace the breakaway switch.