• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Installed Thrust Vectors

wango tango

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
It snowing here I might just ship it back to you too look at.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I would say measure the distances first

Jakester1967

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I have no problem driving straight at slow speeds with my Chaparral 2430 VRX!!!

Scarabpaul

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I always encourage people to contact me directly if they have any questions regarding their steering, if they don't I can't help.
I always include my home number and email address on the email when I send the shipping notice and encourage people to contact me with any questions.
This is interesting since The only way I know you could get a stiff steering at speed like you described is if you do not have your fins aligned correctly. If one or two are towed out.
Being staleness steel you can actually change the angle of those while attached to the nozzle , The forward edge of the fins should be towed in slightly, so take a measurement of the distance between the front edges and the rear edges , the front "closest to the boat" should be just a bit closer than the rear.
I simply take a 2 by 4 and cut a 3 foot piece make a slot in the center of the 2 by 4 and slide it up on to the fin, then tweak the fin setting by holding one end in each hand and twisting the fin slightly to effect a change it it's position.
This is a very simple thing to do .
Now keep in mind that the 4 tec nozzles and reverse gates are totally different than the Yamaha style, and the clearance between the reverse bucket and the ride plate is what determines the size of the fins.
I also minimize the 4 tec fins to avoid countering the reverse steering.
As you know the steering nozzle goes in the opposit direction of where you want your back end of the boat to travel the steering wheel turns in the opposite direction when you are backing the boat so I have the fins partially covered by the reverse gate while operating in reverse to prevent the fins from working against you in that mode. Having fins under the reverse and fully exposed just is not a good option on these systems.
I have been making these for a long time and yes there is feedback in the steering like a regular prop boat because they are partially in contact with the water at planning speeds but this is a good thing and they are so small I can not think of any reason the steering would be hard at all however if you would like me to cut off some of the lower portion of the fins I would be happy to do that for you..
So first check that the fins are not towed out in the front etc. as this could certainly create more resistance at speed.
Jeff, this is interesting, my steering is stiffer as well which i though to be the inherent nature of the fins and not my potential install / misalignment. anyway you can depict what you are referring to in your post? where to properly measure from, etc?upload_2019-1-17_8-41-54.png

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Having fins in the water at speed to increase the steering capabilities is going to add some resistance to the wheel but nothing like he described unless the fins are misaligned.
take a measurement from the center of the back of the fins and compare one to the center of the front of the fins the front should be exactly the same as the back or a slightly less like a 1/8 of an inch.
On your boat being a twin engine you can adjust the tie rod end to change the distance very easily unless it is a lot and then you would need to adjust the steering cable end however that is probably not likely.. he has a single engine so he has to adjust the fins themselves. The 4 tec setups have a restricted area to put fins in that won't interfere with the reverse buckets due to their large size, I have been making this particular style from the start many years ago.
You can also check your nozzles for alignment by opening the reverse buckets and laying a straight edge across both of the nozzle opening at once, I use a long level .
If the straight edge does not touch all 4 edges of the two nozzle openings simply adjust the nozzles until they do. And then you can readjust the fins using the method I told him to use taking care to have a slight tow in when you are finished. I keep my fins in the area between the reverse hood when it is down and the ride plate. I could probably design fangs for these but it has not been a problem and a little extra feedback in the helm is normal because you are connected to the water now. Just looking at your picture for some reason I keep going back to your left fin as it looks a bit out of alignment however that could be the picture angle I can't see the ends of the nozzles just the fin. The fins being connected to the water at speed make water sports and operating in rough water a lot better and very predictable, the boat responds a lot faster to the helm . This quote describes exactly how they should feel at speed.
To be honest I feel a slight difference at high speed. The reason I want them on is due to the low speed wander and the ability to feel comfortable with my wife, kids or friends driving who are not used to a Jet Boat. I tried the Thrust Vectors along with the updated ones (with bumps stop - that fell off after the second time out) after my first incident but after a second incident with the bucket getting caught up in reverse on the middle bracket, it scared the crap out of me and could have been a very bad day as I was in a congested area at the dock! I am confident with the Cobras and they will not be coming off.

Elio195HOI

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Other
Unfortunately, I had to take mine off our Scarab 255 as I was having issues with the buckets being caught up while in reverse. Had a couple scary situations even with their updated Thrust Vectors. Since then I have put on the Cobra's and no longer have the issue and the Cobras are in the water all the time and I notice even more response at higher speed.
Interesting, Ill Pay close attention to this.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Unfortunately, I had to take mine off our Scarab 255 as I was having issues with the buckets being caught up while in reverse. Had a couple scary situations even with their updated Thrust Vectors. Since then I have put on the Cobra's and no longer have the issue and the Cobras are in the water all the time and I notice even more response at higher speed.
There was a lot of posts regarding this and more here is one of the first , just use the search feature ,
https://jetboaters.net/threads/anyone-installed-a-cobra-jet-or-other-low-speed-control-device.9488/#post-190475

Scarabpaul

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Having fins in the water at speed to increase the steering capabilities is going to add some resistance to the wheel but nothing like he described unless the fins are misaligned.
take a measurement from the center of the back of the fins and compare one to the center of the front of the fins the front should be exactly the same as the back or a slightly less like a 1/8 of an inch.
On your boat being a twin engine you can adjust the tie rod end to change the distance very easily unless it is a lot and then you would need to adjust the steering cable end however that is probably not likely.. he has a single engine so he has to adjust the fins themselves. The 4 tec setups have a restricted area to put fins in that won't interfere with the reverse buckets due to their large size, I have been making this particular style from the start many years ago.
You can also check your nozzles for alignment by opening the reverse buckets and laying a straight edge across both of the nozzle opening at once, I use a long level .
If the straight edge does not touch all 4 edges of the two nozzle openings simply adjust the nozzles until they do. And then you can readjust the fins using the method I told him to use taking care to have a slight tow in when you are finished. I keep my fins in the area between the reverse hood when it is down and the ride plate. I could probably design fangs for these but it has not been a problem and a little extra feedback in the helm is normal because you are connected to the water now. Just looking at your picture for some reason I keep going back to your left fin as it looks a bit out of alignment however that could be the picture angle I can't see the ends of the nozzles just the fin. The fins being connected to the water at speed make water sports and operating in rough water a lot better and very predictable, the boat responds a lot faster to the helm . This quote describes exactly how they should feel at speed.
thanks Jeff. it doesn't seem like there is excessive force, just a small amount, almost like a car, the faster you go the steering tightens up a bit. the high speed stability / rough water control is excellent for sure. i will use this method to review alignment and reach out to you if i have issues.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
That sounds like it is supposed to feel but check to be certain, remember small portion of the fin is actually making contact when the hull is up on plane .

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length

Jakester1967

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Do you have the Cobra Fins on your boat?
No sir...I like the real feel of the boat and how it operates at slow speeds...I have been driving jet boats for 20 years so I am very comfortable at slow speeds...The Vortex and BRP engines took some getting used to but now its all good.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
The Vortex and BRP engines took some getting used to but now its all good.
I agree. Took a little time getting used to it, especially backing up! Messes me up every time. Otherwise, I just love it. Tell me, have you spun it out yet?

Jakester1967

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I agree. Took a little time getting used to it, especially backing up! Messes me up every time. Otherwise, I just love it. Tell me, have you spun it out yet?
Agreed the backing up thing threw me off at first but now its normal for me...No I have not spun out yet...I am not a wild and crazy driver, just like to cruise along and enjoy the scenery...

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Agreed the backing up thing threw me off at first but now its normal for me...No I have not spun out yet...I am not a wild and crazy driver, just like to cruise along and enjoy the scenery...
LOL, I haven't spun it out either. I tried but it bites so hard, and I was having a difficult time holding on ...i just couldn't do it. Like you, I love cruising.

Jakester1967

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
LOL, I haven't spun it out either. I tried but it bites so hard, and I was having a difficult time holding on ...i just couldn't do it. Like you, I love cruising.
it is very hard to do...I did it one time on my old AR230 and that was enough for me...You need to hang on for dear life...

Stantm

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I am removing my T.V., they jammed my reverse bucket several times and could not throw the boat in reverse when I needed to stop.
I am going to try the cobra and see how they work.

Elio195HOI

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Other
Well after some time now, maybe 5 hours, I’m starting to notice the TV falling apart. The actual plastic around the jet is becoming deformed and the rubber bump stop fell off. I’m going to contact the company when I can get some photos together. Other than that, it’s been working out good so far.

Dave Ackley

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I am removing my T.V., they jammed my reverse bucket several times and could not throw the boat in reverse when I needed to stop.
I am going to try the cobra and see how they work.
Good move is it a very dangerous situation and I took them off the second it put me and the family in jeopardy of a collision at the ramp!

ScarabHO

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Late to the party, but we installed the thrust vector style ones on our 195. They are stiffer at high speeds. But it really makes up for it a low speeds. Way more comfortable with others handling the boat now, loading on the trailer and docking is a night and day feeling to me.