• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Installing a winch on your garage to pull your boat in !

ArmyChief

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So, after getting the boat (2015 - AR192) home last month..the wife and I tried to get it into the garage by ourselves. Needless to say...it was a chore and finally the neighbors sons saw us struggling and came over. After that, I started researching this and the "other" board for options. It appeared some were looking at a trailer jack device that had a crank handle on it. On YouTube, I saw some interesting things being done with a battery powered drill. All these options were not the most reliable and were still $200-$300 options.

So, my thought was to install a winch in the garage and PULL the boat in. Finding a 120 VAC Winch that was cost effective was looking futile. I then considered a 12VDC ATV/Vehicle bumper mount winch as a more cost effective option. However, using a 12VDC winch would also entail a 12 V battery and charger. I then looked at one of my favorite stores…. Harbor Freight. Harbor Freight, had a 1500 lbs 120VAC winch for $149 !. http://www.harborfreight.com/1500-lb-capacity-120-volt-ac-electric-winch-96127.html

I also bought a snatch block to DOUBLE the pulling power (3000 lbs). http://www.harborfreight.com/snatch-block-61673.html However, I did not need the snatch block, you larger, heavier Yammy boat owners may. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/snatch-block-theory-205210/

Winch in box.JPG
BTW, if you type in Google, “harbor freight 20 off coupon”, many times you’ll get a valid coupon code to use!

At first, I was contemplating installing the winch to the studs on the back wall. After discussing with a contractor, the wife and Bruce, I decided installing the winch to the floor was the best option. @Bruce had mentioned a product called red head wedge anchors.

I measured 51" from the center of the trailer axle to the outside edge of the wheel (adding a few inches for space). This is where my center of the winch cable has to lie on the floor (see photo below)

Winch anchors installed-resized.png

I cut two 24" (base to mount to slab) and two 15" pieces (cross pieces to mount winch to) off the 8' 4X4.

So, based off my research, most garage slabs are 3 1/2"-4" thick. Based off that, I measured 3 1/4" from the tip of the 1/2" masonry drill bit and wrapped black electrical tape to mark my bit depth. Placing the two 24" horizontal 4X4 pieces the proper location as to allow the winch to be placed properly. I used a (speedbore) spade bit and drilled a 5/8" hole on the outside edges of the each of the two 24" 4X4..making sure when I hit the concrete slab and banged the bit up and down (marking the slab). Then I drilled the four 1/2 anchor holes to the pre-measured 3 1/4". Then installed the anchors and then the two 24" 4X4, then vertically the two 15" 4X4's

Winch installed.JPG

So the install parts list and pictures are below:

1 – 4X4 – 8’ in length

4 – 3/8 X 6” Lag Bolts

8 – 3/8 X 3 ½” Lag Bolts

1pk – 3/8 Flat Washers

1pk – 3/8 Toothed Lock Washers

4 – 1/2 X 7” Red Head Wedge Anchors

1 – Harbor Freight Winch

Total cost is under $200

Hope this helps some other boat owners. Any questions? :)

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Glad it worked. That must make it much easier to get your boat up the hill and into the garage!

ArmyChief

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Oh, you have no idea. The wife and son were smiling...it went in SOOOOO smooth. I also bought a two year, no questions asked, warranty on the winch for $27!

cane.mba

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Love this! Just wish my 242 would fit in my garage...

cane.mba

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Noooooo!!! I have 5,000 sq feet now, and a large 3 car garage that would fit the 242. However, I need less kids and all the associated junk that ends up in the garage. Bikes, big wheels, green machines, baseball gear, golf clubs, fishing gear, riding mower, yada yada yada...

ArmyChief

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yea, understand.... took me TWO weekends to clean out the garage to make it workable. I have about 2' on the STBD side and 3-4' on the PORT side now. Pretty roomy :)

cane.mba

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It's actually on my honey do list, amazing how quickly it all gets out of hand!

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Oh, you have no idea. The wife and son were smiling...it went in SOOOOO smooth. I also bought a two year, no questions asked, warranty on the winch for $27!
Uh, hello! I think we all want to see video (set to music optional) of the winch system pulling the boat into the garage.:winkingthumbsup"

ArmyChief

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Uh, hello! I think we all want to see video (set to music optional) of the winch system pulling the boat into the garage.:winkingthumbsup"
LOL..well, it will be two more weeks before we take it out again. Do you have a song in mind ? :)

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@ArmyChief ,

So do you winch the boat in bow or stern first?

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
That's a good mod @ArmyChief . One that myself and others around my area have also done. Helps imensly!!

ar240owner

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good idea !!!!!

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This is a good idea, but what is the advantage over just using your tow rig to back it in?
I believe that @ArmyChief needed to lower the tongue below where it would be attached to his truck to fit under the garage door. They tried to push the boat into the garage by hand but found that the slope was too great.

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I believe that @ArmyChief needed to lower the tongue below where it would be attached to his truck to fit under the garage door. They tried to push the boat into the garage by hand but found that the slope was too great.
That would explain it. With the tongue so low to the ground you are always pushing up hill!!!!!:D