• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Installing a winch on your garage to pull your boat in !

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I was going to ask the same question. Clearance makes sense. There are plenty of folks out there just not willing to learn to back a boat as well. Or just not comfortable with the idea. So that would have been another explanation.

So what about this option? What about these adjustable height hitches that you pull one pin to adjust the height of the ball on what looks like a rack/pinion setup? Would those not get the tongue low enough?

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Nope my hitch has to be folded to even have enough ground clearance to get into the garage. I am on 3 inch casters.

ArmyChief

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sorry, flew out to Boise today..three planes since 5:30 AM EST....

Not to mention the PIA of disconnecting and reconnecting. Plus, have you priced those adjustable hitches?. My rig is easier, comes with a remote control and the wife & son can do it !

Last edited:

CDENsomnia

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

ArmyChief

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You have a BIG garage. I used to also in Tennessee. Not so much in Florida

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the info Army Chief. I was looking for an AC winch to help pull my dock in and this may work. I'm sure I'll find other uses for a winch.

ArmyChief

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the info Army Chief. I was looking for an AC winch to help pull my dock in and this may work. I'm sure I'll find other uses for a winch.
Don't forget..if you're pulling more than 1500 lbs..use the above diagrams and buy the snatch block(s)

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just bought the same winch. The coupon code is accurate, at least until the end of May. Thanks Chief!

ratchetdu

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
This looks like it could be a solution to our problem. Garage is fairly flat and really dont have an issue pushing by hand, except for a "hump" in the center of the garage space the boat fits. We have a 3 car tandem, and the boat goes all the way back, but is a PITA to get over this thing. Weve gotten to the point we unhitch, lower the tongue, clear door opening, push back until it hits hump, then raise and rehitch, and use the truck to push over it. Would this winch pull it up over a 7-8 bump? It is sloped.

Also where do you attach winch to boat? Trailer axel?

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I'm liking this idea. I can back my boat in about 1/3 the way. Then need to push to finish. Seems every weekend the boat gets heavier....and as the nest empties my calls for assistance get less/less response.

I has bought one of those hitch dollies last year.bwahahHhHhHh. Axles folded first use....funny as hell

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I am hoping in a couple years I can afford to bulldoze my garage and build one with enough height to actually clear the overhead door. I would love to have the need for a winch.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am hoping in a couple years I can afford to bulldoze my garage and build one with enough height to actually clear the overhead door. I would love to have the need for a winch.
Bulldoze? Is the roof too low or just the opening? If only the opening is too low then you could have the header moved up. If the whole roof is too low I have seen roofs jacked up above the walls to allow the walls to be extended. Either option would be less expensive than starting over.

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Bulldoze? Is the roof too low or just the opening? If only the opening is too low then you could have the header moved up. If the whole roof is too low I have seen roofs jacked up above the walls to allow the walls to be extended. Either option would be less expensive than starting over.
The roof is actually too low. The slab is also shit. It's a detached garage so starting from scratch wouldn't be very complicated at all. I swung a hammer for a living back in the good ol days so I can handle the construction, it's the slab and the driveway that are going to be the biggest expense. Unfortunately it was built back in the 50's when they still had quality lumber and the structure seems to be very solid so my hope that a storm will come and take it over so the insurance company can buy me a new garage is probably not very likely.

ArmyChief

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
. Would this winch pull it up over a 7-8 bump? It is sloped.

Also where do you attach winch to boat? Trailer axel?
I see no issues pulling over a 1 inch hump. Depending on your boat weight, you may want to get the snatch blocks and utilize as posted in the pic.

I attach the cable to the rear center brace that has the three little red lights.

Chad Scheer

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
So ArmyChief, now that you have had this for a couple months, are they any changes you would make? I am getting ready to do the exact same thing, except for adding a manual trailer dolly to help me steer. I will pull it in from the transom allowing me to steer from the tongue. I have 3/4" clearance on either side so steering is very important.

ArmyChief

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Chad Scheer ,

Nothing different except for the dolly (like you are going to do) or change the trailer front wheel to a steerable wheel. Winch has worked perfectly. I made a pole to prop the garage door up high enough to clear the collapsed tower so I can do a single man entry! :)

Chad Scheer

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
ya, I spent a good amount of time researching a product on the market that is steerable and has a hand crank. It is about double the price and I am just fearful it won't get the boat up a 7% grade. I know they say it will, but I read a ton of reviews stating otherwise. Plus there were a good amount of negative, similar reviews on quality and break points.

I hope to get this setup complete over the thanksgiving holiday. I will report on how well the dolly works. It is worth a try for 60 bucks at HF or NT.